New F3 Firmware Upgrade for Dual Link RGB, S-Log......

Dang...

So the camera itself is 13K, then 3,500 to enable God Mode, then another how much for a Nano Flash or something to record the material on?

Then the lenses, accessories, etc.

Seems like no one wants to record straight to SxS (judging from owner reports I'm reading on the majority) so that means even a pre-existing EX-1(ish) owner wanting to get maximum power out of an F3 is going to be 16~18K in before the glass.

Now I know what the F stands for! FARMVILLE!

Still, I'm liking what I'm seeing from the F3 + nanoflash combo.

Looking forward to more footage.
 
So the camera itself is 13K, then 3,500 to enable God Mode, then another how much for a Nano Flash or something to record the material on?

I believe the Nanofliash (and the KiPro/mini and the Ninja) is(are) 4:2:2, which you can do on a stock F3.

The cheapest 4:4:4 recorder I know of is the Cinedeck Extreme, which is $10,000.
 
HEADLINES:
For the First time in History, Sony Burns it's Customers.

how shocking.

If someone doesn't have $3.5K to enable these features, they also aren't going to have the recorders necessary for uncompressed dual-link HD-SDI nor the computing horsepower necessary to work w/ RGB 4:4:4.

It's like going from a work horse to a thoroughbred. What's the use of owning Secretariat if he's going to be staying in your living room and eating bags of carrots from Costco?
 
IWhat's the use of owning Secretariat if he's going to be staying in your living room and eating bags of carrots from Costco?

amazing.......

True, but heres the good part, you dont have to get the upgrade, and it still an AMAZING camera!!!!
 
I don't think its that bad, considering the only gigs that need it or could really use it are ones that will pay enough to more than cover your expenses on rental. 99% of people will be more than thrilled with what an F3 can deliver alone, add to that a KiPro mini and, well...
 
If someone doesn't have $3.5K to enable these features, they also aren't going to have the recorders necessary for uncompressed dual-link HD-SDI nor the computing horsepower necessary to work w/ RGB 4:4:4.

It's like going from a work horse to a thoroughbred. What's the use of owning Secretariat if he's going to be staying in your living room and eating bags of carrots from Costco?

Well, if that's the case then why was everyone expecting it to be 1-2K?
 
That cost could change. As I have said elsewhere what will be the determining factor in their pricing scheme will be based on the total cost of ownership. Once the total package price gets close to the price of RED, then they will bleed customers and mindshare, despite the fact the workflow with this unit with the recorder, S-log, 444, etc will be much faster than a RED workflow.
 
Yes, their pricing is dangerously close to Red but as Timur stated, it's already an excellent camera without the upgrade...and it will pair nicely with my Ki Pro.
 
my rule of thumb that basic lens set should be around the cost of a body still holds

What, the eight Cooke prime lens set for $178,000?

Actually though the full really fast (f1.4) new Nikon prime set is about the cost of the body. (i.e. 2k each.)
 
What, the eight Cooke prime lens set for $178,000?

Actually though the full really fast (f1.4) new Nikon prime set is about the cost of the body. (i.e. 2k each.)

If somebody considers 8 lenses a basic set...bless him. Oldskool masters like Roger Deakins have smaller "basics". (I think he talks about "True Grit" here).
http://www.deakinsonline.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1281&p=6552&hilit=32mm#p6552

Anyway, each to his own, on 100k cameras a 100k lens set might make sense. On a 5k one it makes little.
Rephrase: I think it's reasonable to spend on basic lenses same amount as on the camera body. Unfortunately I am often unreasonable here myself (eg. my M-mount stills glass collection, but my excuse is 4 bodies!).
 
Last edited:
Price seems very reasonable to me. Buy it if you need it. And if you need it, then presumably, that means your work is paying enough that $3500 isn't going to put you in a bad financial position.
 
It's like going from a work horse to a thoroughbred. What's the use of owning Secretariat if he's going to be staying in your living room and eating bags of carrots from Costco?
That's what I've been saying. Why get this fantastic camera head, and then record to 8-bit long-GoP 35mbps MPEG-2?

Even so, the Nano is pretty cheap in comparison to the body, and will get you a long way towards what the F3 is capable of, at least it's high-bandwidth and 4:2:2. I haven't priced out the Ki Pro Mini (batteries and everything being extra) but it's probably the better bet for the F3 because it does record 10-bit, and if you're running Anton Bauers on the F3, that solves the battery issue for the Ki Pro Mini.

I think there's three levels of the F3 now... $13,300 with SxS and EX1 batteries, which is Secretariat eating costco carrots.
$17,000-ish, which is with Anton Bauers and a Ki Pro Mini. To me that's probably the sweet spot of price/performance, bang for the buck.
$27,000 for Anton Bauers and the firmware upgrade and a CineDeck. Ultimate performance, the "mini Alexa". That price may come down depending on what they charge for their HDCAM-SR memory recorder unit, I budgeted $10k for the Cinedeck.
 
Yes, their pricing is dangerously close to Red but as Timur stated, it's already an excellent camera without the upgrade...and it will pair nicely with my Ki Pro.
I've said all along Sony viewed this as a competitor to the Red One. So yeah, the price is comparable to the Red. No surprise there. Granted it's only 1080 vs. the Red's "4k", but then again, an Alexa is only 1080 also, so it doesn't seem that odd.

Nice thing is you can still get a pretty darn good system for half the price of the Red One, if you choose to use SxS.
 
Nice thing is you can still get a pretty darn good system for half the price of the Red One, if you choose to use SxS.

That's me right there. Which is gravy, because if I choose to add the $3500 for S-Log, then I'm just a rental away from shooting S-Log 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 - and if the production can't pay for that rental, they have no business using that bit-rate. I can own the base kit, and still turbo charge the camera for clients who need that extra umph.
 
Back
Top