New Black and White Stills

disjecta

Lucky Duck
I'm in the midst of developing an in-camera black and white setting. Here are some results so far (and a couple of color for good measure):

(Click on the image for full size)













 
These grabs are highly compressed jpegs. Blowing them up is pointless because those artifacts are not in the original

:Drogar-Evil(DBG):
 
Those are somewhat addressable by turning sharpness and detail down in 24F mode...but in reality you will almost never notice those artifacts unless you magnify the image on a freeze frame.
 
yea i got to play with it at Abel Cine tech today, this thing puts out a BEAUTIFUL picture. I really like it. and the 24F doesnt look to bad at all.


I did not like the lens, but luckily ( for CAnon's Wallet) the lenses are changeable.

i imagine with a 16x manual lens this thing would be stellar. Disjecta, which lens are you using?

Your B&W grabs look really good. i LOVE the one of the kid wit hthe helmet, with that highlight on the edge of the helmet.
 
The black and white is nice though I'd up the contrast a bit but that's just more my style.

What actually is interesting as these just as screens is that they kind of go against what I expect from the canon.

Resolution wise, they really don't seem all that much sharper than some of my own HVX200 stills (I was comparing your Tara pic to a still of my little brother and the sharpness as far as I'm seeing is pretty much the same). However, the colors hold up much better than I'd expect from HDV. Maybe Canon's codec is just better than Sony and JVC's but the colors I'm seeing in this are much more impressive than anything I've seen out of an HD100 or Z1.

On the sharpness issue though I'm curious what your settings were because, and I'm simply asking in a very scholarly way and not trying to harp, the shots don't look as sharp as the stills I've seen from Pappas. Was he also using 24f and JPEG compression?
 
What were the settings that you used? I might be using the XL-H1 to shoot stuff in black and white, and i'd like to know some settings i can use
 
Back
Top