New 4K Frame @ Red.com

filmmaker1977 said:
because you're here but not in disguise, your comment is valid though me thinks graeme (isn't he, jim?) is working in a great focus assist solution for those who want and are looking for an artificial but efficient real focus assist...

Hi,

I think a focus assist sounds cool, but how will it change the focus with manuel lenses? Just curious!

Stephen
 
It doesn't change the manual focus - you do, but it helps you do so with great accuracy. That's why it's called a focus assist, not an auto-focus.

Graeme
 
filmmaker1977 said:
hey lord zero also known as mr deleted posts.. your dipwords are speaking for yourself.. as usual.. and i answer you with all new DVXuser friends at my pm inbox.. :) on the last sentence of your youtube highness, you don't know what you're talking about.. :crybaby:

Ok, it was my bad on the ad hominem attack. :crybaby:

Seriously though, why would you even want to create a 4k finish in your own home instead of going to post facility set up to handle this stuff with some technical proficiency? You can't watch it, so...why?
 
Graeme_Nattress said:
It doesn't change the manual focus - you do, but it helps you do so with great accuracy. That's why it's called a focus assist, not an auto-focus.

Graeme

Graeme,

Sounds interesting, could make the 1st AC life easier with a 300mm lens wide open!

Stephen
 
lordnumberzero said:
Seriously though, why would you even want to create a 4k finish in your own home instead of going to post facility set up to handle this stuff with some technical proficiency? You can't watch it, so...why?
For the same reason that I don't set my 12mpx DSLR to shoot at 2mpx. I can't see the full 12mpx shot at home... so what's the point in shooting at 12mpx? All it'll do is take up more hard-drive space and slow everything down, right?
 
lordnumberzero said:
Seriously though, why would you even want to create a 4k finish in your own home instead of going to post facility set up to handle this stuff with some technical proficiency? You can't watch it, so...why?
Three simple words:

1) It.

2) Is.

3) Cheaper.

Why WOULDN'T you want to do more yourself if at all possible?
 
filmmaker1977 said:
because you're here but not in disguise, your comment is valid though me thinks graeme (isn't he, jim?) is working in a great focus assist solution for those who want and are looking for an artificial but efficient real focus assist...

not human i mean.. we're in the xxi century and 2001 occurred five years ago.. and if this is not the kubrick environment, it should be at least a little bit close.. i love that HAL..

Then again for people with experience in pulling focus on 35mm DOF kind of work like Stephen and myself I still think that the focus assist will not solve all focus issues; for instance I have an assistant who always tries to correct focus when actors change their position by looking at his LCD and than adjust instead of looking at his focus scales on the FF and he is ALWAYS too late. (This is when shooting with PRO35 kind of setups , when shooting 35 or 16 it never works ofcourse since the videotap signal is too bad to judge focus anyway). I get the impression that a lot of people with a video background underestimate the difficulty of 35mm DOF focus like the RED, and I always will advise to bring an experienced focus puller when shooting 4K.

Mick van Rossum NSC
 
DorkmanScott said:
Three simple words:

1) It.

2) Is.

3) Cheaper.

1)No

2)It's

3)Not

I am all for high res finishing at home. I have a 4TB raid and an evaluation grade HD CRT on my editing set-up. But guess what, I am not rushing out to buy monitoring and finishing tools when I get my RED. I'm not buying seats for Scratch which aren't cheap. For the most part, I will not be making projects that screen in 4k. Probably just 1080p because that's what we will be watching at home for the forseeable future. Having the extra resolution is dope but not really needed until you are doing a finish for theatrical presentation at which point, you're probably gonna need some OPM (other people's money).
 
Why are we arguing? One person shoots 4K, the other shoots 1080p... great. You won't be working on the same project so it doesn't matter. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong, just do what you want to do with your equipment and let everybody else do what they want.

It feels like cinematography.com all of a sudden. Relax!
 
lordnumberzero said:
1)No

2)It's

3)Not
That a fact?

Going to a post facility = you pay money for the company's time.

Doing it yourself = you don't.

What am I missing here? :huh:

lordnumberzero said:
I am all for high res finishing at home. I have a 4TB raid and an evaluation grade HD CRT on my editing set-up. But guess what, I am not rushing out to buy monitoring and finishing tools when I get my RED. I'm not buying seats for Scratch which aren't cheap. For the most part, I will not be making projects that screen in 4k. Probably just 1080p because that's what we will be watching at home for the forseeable future. Having the extra resolution is dope but not really needed until you are doing a finish for theatrical presentation at which point, you're probably gonna need some OPM (other people's money).
But it's easier to finish in 4K, and downres, than finish in something else and then have a need to go to 4K.

And there's always the ability to avail yourself as freelance to other people. :)
 
DorkmanScott said:
That a fact?

Going to a post facility = you pay money for the company's time.

Doing it yourself = you don't.

What am I missing here? :huh:

Hi,

If you think your time is 'free' you may be in for a nasty surprise!

Stephen
 
lordnumberzero said:
Ok, it was my bad on the ad hominem attack. :crybaby:

Seriously though, why would you even want to create a 4k finish in your own home instead of going to post facility set up to handle this stuff with some technical proficiency? You can't watch it, so...why?
why? do you think we all are doing the same (in your words) dipshit?.. or we live in NYC?.. on beyond, there is also the future proof.. why less if it's possible more?!!

the rest goes on the way.. check your pm box
 
Graeme_Nattress said:
It doesn't change the manual focus - you do, but it helps you do so with great accuracy. That's why it's called a focus assist, not an auto-focus.

Graeme
Brook Willard said:
Why are we arguing? One person shoots 4K, the other shoots 1080p... great. You won't be working on the same project so it doesn't matter. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong, just do what you want to do with your equipment and let everybody else do what they want.

It feels like cinematography.com all of a sudden. Relax!
Graeme, Brook, i.. we love you!
 
Stephen Williams said:
Hi,

If you think your time is 'free' you may be in for a nasty surprise!

Stephen
If I'm working out of my own pocket, the $5000 (random number) I would spend on a post house will go into other things.

If I'm working on other people's money, I'm getting the money the post house would have. :Drogar-Love(DBG):

Seems win-win to me.
 
DorkmanScott,

is it necessary to say there are a lot of people here with the same needs and viewpoint? :thumbup: yours and ours..

quoting Mr Willard this is not the cinematography.com forums but lately it seems there were a lot of people transfering their own anxieties or method (still worst) from there..
 
lordnumberzero said:
1)No

2)It's

3)Not

I am all for high res finishing at home. I have a 4TB raid and an evaluation grade HD CRT on my editing set-up. But guess what, I am not rushing out to buy monitoring and finishing tools when I get my RED. I'm not buying seats for Scratch which aren't cheap. For the most part, I will not be making projects that screen in 4k. Probably just 1080p because that's what we will be watching at home for the forseeable future. Having the extra resolution is dope but not really needed until you are doing a finish for theatrical presentation at which point, you're probably gonna need some OPM (other people's money).

Good try, old bean.

What HD CRT are you using presently ? I've been looking for a reference grade monitor for awhile now.

:beer:
 
D&G,

I picked up the Sony BVM-A20F1U used for super cheap (%60 off) because the plastic bezel was cracked off. I just ordered a new bezel and it was good to go.

Previously, I was borrowing a JVC DT-V1910CG with the composite input board which I really recommend for the price. I think you can get them for around $2500 ready to go.
 
lordnumberzero said:
D&G,

I picked up the Sony BVM-A20F1U used for super cheap (%60 off) because the plastic bezel was cracked off. I just ordered a new bezel and it was good to go.

Previously, I was borrowing a JVC DT-V1910CG with the composite input board which I really recommend for the price. I think you can get them for around $2500 ready to go.

Thanks a lot, mate. I'll look out for it. I was considering the e-cinema or cinetal monitors to finish up to 1080p or 2K, but am unsure if they're worth the price. What's the highest rez the JVC you mentioned can handle ?

A reference grade monitor is could cost me as much as the Zoom lens, unless I can find a deal (like you did)...:beer:

RED# cautiously optimistic
 
Back
Top