New 4K Frame @ Red.com

Randomfactor

Active member
http://red.com/gallery-still.htm

4k_3-thumb.jpg
 
Last edited:
polispol: that depends on where you want the focus to be and where the focus was set to when that image was shot.

Also keep in mind the camera has no sharpening, we're used to seeing images being sharpened in camera
 
robl said:
polispol: that depends on where you want the focus to be and where the focus was set to when that image was shot.

Also keep in mind the camera has no sharpening, we're used to seeing images being sharpened in camera

Hi,

Remember you can add sharpening, but once it's there your stuck with it.

FWIW I think it is sharp enough, Cooke S4 lenses are very flattering but not as pin sharp as Zeiss.

Stephen
 
I think the focus is pretty dead on... I did a side by side, with equal scaling of the red "Dickies" logo on the coveralls and it's clear the 4K has more resolution, it's just not a "whack you in the head" sort of difference. The 2K sample has the advantage of the natural God given (or Graeme given) sharpening (without nasty fake edge enhancement) that you always see when downscaling, and the beneficial scaling of color space as well.

I think that if you looked at a windowed 2K from the sensor, it would also feel slightly soft as well, which is why a 4K original is a GOOD idea over a native Bayer 2K sensor approach.

I've said it before, but I think the real magic of the REDs 4K negative is to give you an amazing 4:4:4 2K post experience. And really, isn't that good enough? A sub-twenty thousand camera giving you the worlds best 2K? There are many, many reasons why a 2K finish is desirable over 4K at this point in history, here's yet another, IMO...
 
Yes, I know that there is no sharpening... Maybe it's a good moment to talk about that... :-D
which is the best way to check the focus if there is no sharpening on camera?
or maybe we can apply some sharpening to the output of the camera, in the same way we can apply a LUT.
 
Jim Arthurs said:
I've said it before, but I think the real magic of the REDs 4K negative is to give you an amazing 4:4:4 2K post experience. And really, isn't that good enough? A sub-twenty thousand camera giving you the worlds best 2K? There are many, many reasons why a 2K finish is desirable over 4K at this point in history, here's yet another, IMO...
hey arthurs!.. don't highjack these forums again with your fun ideas!.. or this time i'll be mad :) 4K is the way.. take your 2k with your ambitious.. :Drogar-Dum(DBG):
 
Shoot 4k REDCODE RAW, process in REDCINE and output 2k if you wish. There is your 2k and you keep a 4k digital negative in the bank. Future-proof footage.

Jim
 
arthurs, you see.. the boss is over here and if he reads your non-sense and change his 4K ideas, you'll deal with my anger..
 
Jannard said:
Shoot 4k REDCODE RAW, process in REDCINE and output 2k if you wish. There is your 2k and you keep a 4k digital negative in the bank. Future-proof footage.

Jim
hey jim! and what about 4K at home editing and cc?.. Mr David Newman says it's possible.. and if he says it's possible why wouldn't i believe?!!
 
All this 4k at home stuff is crazy talk! Seriously, the first complete 4k pipeline movie was Spiderman 2 and there have only been a handful more since then. 2k finish at home is still gonna blow the **** out of what has been around for the past couple years and be viable for quite a while. 2k laser to 35mm looks really really good and is just barely realistic from a cost standpoint for small indie projects, especially the kind editing "at home".
 
lordnumberzero said:
All this 4k at home stuff is crazy talk! Seriously, the first complete 4k pipeline movie was Spiderman 2 and there have only been a handful more since then. 2k finish at home is still gonna blow the **** out of what has been around for the past couple years and be viable for quite a while. 2k laser to 35mm looks really really good and is just barely realistic from a cost standpoint for small indie projects, especially the kind editing "at home".
yeah?.. are you sure? maybe your deleted posts over here :laugh: :thumbup: can compete with the years of experience of Mr David Newman.. besides the number of his satisfied customers.. what do you think?

ok i'm joking with you.. that is: if you aren't a cinematography.com forums member in disguise.. but if 2k is good enough, why not to have a 4K master and after go to the 2k intermediate before the 35mm transfer (or other output)?
 
filmmaker1977 said:
arthurs, you see.. the boss is over here and if he reads your non-sense and change his 4K ideas, you'll deal with my anger..

And I don't want to make you angry... :) I wouldn't like you when you're angry...

I'm thrilled that the camera does 4K+... it just makes the 2K final look that much better. :)

Seriously, 4K "in the bank" when you shoot is terrific, and not only future proofs as Jim mentions, but makes better 2K than the cameras with 2K Bayer sensors.

I just feel there's little need to actually POST in 4K at this point. I've got lots of reasons, which might deserve their own thread.
 
REDDDDDDDDDDDDDD focus assist

REDDDDDDDDDDDDDD focus assist

Stephen Williams said:
Hi,

With wider lenses a tape measure is the best way to check focus.

Stephen
because you're here but not in disguise, your comment is valid though me thinks graeme (isn't he, jim?) is working in a great focus assist solution for those who want and are looking for an artificial but efficient real focus assist...

not human i mean.. we're in the xxi century and 2001 occurred five years ago.. and if this is not the kubrick environment, it should be at least a little bit close.. i love that HAL..
 
Last edited:
Yes we have the magic focus assist. It's quite funky, but great! And I think there's more traditional "peaking" type focus assist also, but I think you'll prefer the magic one - that's the one I'll be using :-)

Graeme
 
filmmaker1977,

I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way so I will say it. You are a crazyman!

Have fun with your homemade 4k cc pipeline that will probably end up being presented on youtube.

RED142
 
Last edited:
great news man.. you're my digital and REAL hero..

Graeme_Nattress said:
Yes we have the magic focus assist. It's quite funky, but great! And I think there's more traditional "peaking" type focus assist also, but I think you'll prefer the magic one - that's the one I'll be using :-)

Graeme
 
hey lord zero also known as mr deleted posts.. your dipwords are speaking for yourself.. as usual.. and i answer you with all new DVXuser friends at my pm inbox.. :) on the last sentence of your youtube highness, you don't know what you're talking about.. :crybaby:

update (2nd):
crazyman?!.. lol
ok it goes better..
 
Last edited:
Back
Top