Let me try again... 10 episode WebShow - "HangGirl"

GlimmerGhost

Well-known member
Ok so I recently made a 37 second short for On the Lot's wekly challenged which wasn't very good, but i'm gonna try again.

Some of the footage i took for that first short inspired me to do a 10 episode web show about a girl who can't die until she figures out the mystery of the HangMan... this one was meant to be cheesy and i hope I did a better V.O. this time, and like i said, used some of the same footage from the first one.
It's still very short, but it's a webshow so I thought a minute and a half wasnt bad for something like that. Let me know what you think, am I getting better or worse?, here's the link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lOkIQqWzP0I
 
Not bad. Good idea - I'm curious to see how you'll get a decent plot out in just 5-10 episodes.
Sound needs work - the actress' voice sounded muddy. Also, I'd play with camera angles a bit more - find one you like, and then try one that's completely different and you may be surprised to find it is much better.
Overall, though, one of the better short films made with the HV20.
Thanks for sharing.
 
Wow, thanks Skinny, I really appreciate the support and it helps to know theres someone out there watchin, lol.

Each episode will get longer, this one was supposed to be 4 min long but my actor backed out so i just said screw it and put everything together as best i could.
Sound is hoooorible, done with a $10 mic (I just got an at897 though) but her voice i cant help, lol, she's spanish and still learning the language, but maybe i should try subs?

As far as angles go skinny I really appreciate the advice, because sincerely thats all i'm trying to do right now is learn how to shoot, angles and content and fluidity and just get better at this process. So thanks again, and everyone else that wishes to chip in with some constructive criticism I would most def. be greatful.
 
The sound quality of the VO was better than the recorded sound, for sure. The voice is pretty funny, and adds to the campiness of the whole thing.

I didn't mind that the actress had an accent. If it's a concern for you - do the rest with no dialogue for her - you probably didn't need the lines she spoke in this one anyway.
 
can you put up as full resloution version to download glimmer ghost that be great also what were you settings on the hv20 ??? did you shoot 24p or 60i and if 24 did you use cinema mode ???????? also was you lighting set up for this ????????? and the actres looks hot love those gothic chic yea boy, know t he voice over maybe you et some with a deep voice be cool.

peace n luv

Mark Dog
 
looked at video again glimmer you could have showed the enevlope first with the hangman on it then show the razor fall on top then after the blood dripping and follow it to her hand and arm hanging over the tub just an idea may start with close up with the hangman drawn i nthe beging with a big evil smile just some thoght but i like the video very funny concept at the end you should have the hangman dressed up and they play for her right to die play hangman on paper lol , gues i mdirecting and editing your short and writing it to lol

peace n luv

Mark Dog
Mark Dog
 
A Hispanic goth girl? Oh man.

Great concept. I like the idea. (Very Heroes.) Sound does need some work in places; for instance, when the VO cuts out and the diagetic audio comes in, you can hear the ambient background noise. You might want to fade up to her voice so the ambiance doesn't distract from the VO.

Hope you can get that actress back. She definitely looks the part.
 
lol, the actres is my wife, if she wont act in my movies anymore i'll just film her why she sleeps and add some ADR over it, haha.
Yea the audio is horrible, and there is no excuse for the transition when it cuts out all of a sudden, I heard it and thought I fixed it but no cigar. Anyway I have some pretty cool news:

Youtube contacted me via email and said theyre considering HangGirl for the features page, lol, I never expected it! Anyway, wish me luck everyone!
 
Nice work Jim, although I personally prefer steady shots rather than handheld... I don't mind some handhelding when the situation/script warrants it, but if overused it can look a bit disconcerning. Other than that, nice concept!
 
Back
Top