KEEPER OF THE LOST - Flyin' Monkey Films & MattSpat Films

Thanks to all of you guys for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer questions tomorrow once I've gotten most of this alcohol outta my system. Gods know what I'll say right now....
 
When the mugger gives up it is because the watch has sentimental value to him. If you listen closely Anthony says "its yours" and when writing the script we meant that literally. It fits with the story as Anthony returns lost stuff to people.
 
Hum..Fair enough.

What we initially tried to do was have it so that the mugger wasn't going for the watch right away and initially it was more so like he was thinking to himself "alright, lets take care of this guy so I can finish off the girl" or something like that. And THEN the watch would catch his attention. BUT I think some of that may have been cut off in order to fit it in 6 minutes, so you could be absolutely right.

Thanks for the criticism though! Always helpful!
 
When the mugger gives up it is because the watch has sentimental value to him. If you listen closely Anthony says "its yours" and when writing the script we meant that literally. It fits with the story as Anthony returns lost stuff to people.

I don't know. Folks say 'it's yours' when getting their wallets, watches, cars ripped off.

'Take it man, it's yours' - pretty common response.

I didn't make the connection that he meant it literally. Also, at this point in the film, we are not aware of who 'Anthony' really is. That reveal comes much later.

It's a pretty common snag in writing. Something may be crystal clear in the writer's mind, and there seems to be no question as to the intent/meaning. Problem is, the information does not always translate to the reader, or to the viewer should the script ever get produced - and even more so when a word or phrase has a multiplicity of interpretations.

I know some folks picked up on the significance. Others did not.

I can barely hear 'Where did you find this?', but again, this is not concrete evidence it was ever his, or has any sentimental value, at least not in the 6 minute version. Maybe there is some cutting-room-floor stuff that would clarify it.

I'm just sayin'.


aw
 
Last edited:
I don't know. Folks say 'it's yours' when getting their wallets, watches, cars ripped off.

'Take it man, it's yours' - pretty common response.

I didn't make the connection that he meant it literally. Also, at this point in the film, we are not aware of who 'Anthony' really is. That reveal comes much later.

It's a pretty common snag in writing. Something may be crystal clear in the writer's mind, and there seems to be no question as to the intent/meaning. Problem is, the information does not always translate to the reader, or to the viewer should the script ever get produced - and even more so when a word or phrase has a multiplicity of interpretations.

I know some folks picked up on the significance. Others did not.

I can barely hear 'Where did you find this?', but again, this is not concrete evidence it was ever his, or has any sentimental value, at least not in the 6 minute version. Maybe there is some cutting-room-floor stuff that would clarify it.

I'm just sayin'.


aw

Resonance. It may work or may not work, especially for the reveal, but it's designed to be one of those moments that leaves the viewer going: oh yeah! I get it now... but much much later. Maybe we handled the scene not as efficiently as possible or as clearly.

The dialog has layers of meaning and things can be taken many ways, but much better than having dialog that's too "on the nose".
 
Thanks guys! I had a great time doing it and learned so much.

I had my interview at york university film school today and showed them the film and they were impressed at how professionally done it was. This one professor was questioning me on how we did some of it as if he didn't believe I had a part in it, haha. Oh well, hopefully it plays out well!
 
loved it. I was so frkn hooked at the beginning of that movie. Like i was enthrawled. So mysterious and stuff I love that.

It would take too long to name all the things i really liked about this film so I'll name the things i didn't:

dialogue audio - I had to man my volume knob on the speakers the entire time because it was fluctuating so much.

background/setting noise - It was totally silent when they were gettin the hot dogs! they were on a busy street! There were many moments where it was just weird how there was no background noise at all. Its so easy just to record the air for a few minutes and place it quietly in the background. Or compile environment noises.

acting - it wasn't that bad but not on par with how good the story and direction was.

wrestling with the focus on the shot they were going up the stairs - lol. I'm sure people have said something about that earlier in this thread.

music - just waaaaaaaay too epic/orchestral for my taste on a 6 minute short. I think there coulda been so many other things that would have made this movie feel more mystical, more contemporary, and more innovative. Thats just imo though.

But seriously... I loved it. So many more good things than bad. Had the audio and in general been better this movie would have been devastatingly awesome.
 
loved it. I was so frkn hooked at the beginning of that movie. Like i was enthrawled. So mysterious and stuff I love that.

But seriously... I loved it. So many more good things than bad. Had the audio and in general been better this movie would have been devastatingly awesome.

Deep sigh. Deep, deep sigh...
 
puck! i really liked this film! i think i liked it better than your other one... why?

the acting of the girl was great! i think you got the best shot i've seen so far when she grabbed her coat for the first time in the shed. everything just worked so well there, it was really strong!

didn't like the music and where it was used. too much for my taste. i'd rather hear the city a bit.

there were so many other great shots too, the way you got them walking from the city to the shed, the hot dog stand, in fact most of the shots after the fight.

congrats!
 
Completely different story and different feel from Falling Up. Keeper of the Lost will definitely appeal to a different audience. It was made with a different aesthetic in mind especially in terms of the kinds of shots. I usually shoot close and this film allowed me the opportunity to really stretch myself since there was so much scenery and landscape to shoot, so I ended up using wider lenses and wider shots than normal. You can actually SEE my actors' feet in this!

Glad you liked how I was able to tell the story on a visual level.

With a story like this, the city actually became a character of itslef. In the extended cut we have so many other great shots of downtown Toronto, and a chance to breathe a little more.

Thanks for watching!
 
Rodney!

Your Saint Anthony story has mine beat; I stood up much better with the deal with the devil theme with Barn Dance against your TwilightFest entry. If we end up doing the same idea next go-around, well that's like too freaky and there should be a special prize for that.

Loved the acting in this one, of your two entries I think I preferred the other film more. The ADR in this one bothered me much more, because it was more of a dramatic entry that didn't depend on quirky sound effects like in the comedy. I'm glad you've sworn off the ADR.

Anyway, I'm bowing at your feet as usual. Nice work!

John
 
Rodney!

Your Saint Anthony story has mine beat; I stood up much better with the deal with the devil theme with Barn Dance against your TwilightFest entry. If we end up doing the same idea next go-around, well that's like too freaky and there should be a special prize for that.

Loved the acting in this one, of your two entries I think I preferred the other film more. The ADR in this one bothered me much more, because it was more of a dramatic entry that didn't depend on quirky sound effects like in the comedy. I'm glad you've sworn off the ADR.

Anyway, I'm bowing at your feet as usual. Nice work!

John


Told you it was freaky didn;t I? We should just exchange scripts next time and we'll end up doing the same story. I have sworn off ADR and I'm in the process of hiring a sound guy. Can;t stand losing points because of something so easily fixed when I had a good things going on everything else. Urgh. Glad you liked this one. i was tempted to go dark with it, but decided to keep it light and hopeful.. everything doesn;t have to stay lost.

I'm sure you're ramping up your game for the next fest, so I'm going to have to come with all cylinders loaded... otherwise I'll be bowing at your feet next time around.
 
I have sworn off ADR and I'm in the process of hiring a sound guy. Can;t stand losing points because of something so easily fixed when I had a good things going on everything else. Urgh.

This is what I like to hear. :)

Balance your budget to get the sound guy. If you can get a pro for free you are ahead of the game. If you have to pay for someone, then do it. These films will be your calling card into bigger gigs. I can't wait to see what is up your sleeve.
 
Back
Top