roxics
Veteran
I just started thinking about it and one of the interesting things about films is also what you don't see as much as what you do see.
Shallow depth of field is a good example of that. It's highlight is that if focuses the audiences attention on a given subject in the frame. But what it also does is blur out what you don't want them to see in the background or foreground, which could be an unfinished set or something that could otherwise be distracting. That lack of detail helps.
4k resolution is a lot. But will we see filmmakers trying to tone done the resolution because it's picking up too much detail? I could see this being a problem if for say you are working with models like model airplanes. I know most of that stuff is done with CG these days but not all of it.
Another scenario might be a closeup of an actors face and some sort of blemish or skin condition.
I think it's different with film because it has a sort of softness to it.
Just a thought. I'm not at all against the idea of the higher resolution. Just something else to consider.
Shallow depth of field is a good example of that. It's highlight is that if focuses the audiences attention on a given subject in the frame. But what it also does is blur out what you don't want them to see in the background or foreground, which could be an unfinished set or something that could otherwise be distracting. That lack of detail helps.
4k resolution is a lot. But will we see filmmakers trying to tone done the resolution because it's picking up too much detail? I could see this being a problem if for say you are working with models like model airplanes. I know most of that stuff is done with CG these days but not all of it.
Another scenario might be a closeup of an actors face and some sort of blemish or skin condition.
I think it's different with film because it has a sort of softness to it.
Just a thought. I'm not at all against the idea of the higher resolution. Just something else to consider.
Last edited: