In your opinion who is one of the best HDSLR Cinematographers on DVXUSER site

Your acting, *cough*, I mean, his acting isn't too bad ;) But that's off-topic...

Yeah Macgregor definately has a great eye for composition, lighting, eye tracing, editing a great DOP. That's a RED I believe? I don't think we should limit it to HDSLR either. All the films I still see in the top A-List festivals are still shot on 35mm, 16m and Red though some DSLR stuff is creeping up.

I'm guessing the OP wants to collaborate or learn from the best HDSLR users. But that's quite technical...

Plus, it's people actually using them to tell a story, as opposed to compilation clips set to music (which are cool, too, but there is an abundance of those on the internet)...

I have to disagree a bit there Jason. A Cinematographer's job is not to tell the story. Yes, when working with a director the two go hand in hand, but the thread is about the best Cinematographers not storytellers. Just my thoughts.

Philip, it does seem you are the man who certain directors would appreciate to have 'hand in hand' LOL, but I bet Jason like me we both wish to see you to put your skills and love (the secret, right? ;-) to the service of storytelling more than ever. IMHO, just a matter of time :)

(got your point anyway)

Last edited:
Philip, it does seem you are the man who certain directors would appreciate to have 'hand in hand' LOL, but I bet Jason like me we both wish to see you to put your skills and love (the secret, right? ;-) to the service of storytelling. IMHO, just a matter of time :)

I have shot many documentaries, a few short shorts and of course worked on that feature recently. Documentaries are my preference over narrative. There should be one coming out that I recently finished later this year.

But my first love is shooting images that inspire me. Moving photography if you will. That is what makes me happy!

I have shot many documentaries, a few short shorts and of course worked on that feature recently. Documentaries are my preference over narrative. There should be one coming out that I recently finished later this year.

But my first love is shooting images that inspire me. Moving photography if you will. That is what makes me happy!
I know. I even tried to edit and stand corrected but you were quicker than myself ;-)

Here is:

Philip, it does seem you are the man who certain directors would appreciate to have 'hand in hand' LOL, but I bet Jason like me we both wish to see you to put your skills and love (the secret, right? ;-) to the service of storytelling more than ever. IMHO, just a matter of time :)

(got your point anyway)

EDIT -- New post.

Last edited:
'Moving photography', I love the definition and am used to call it as well. That's what a teacher of mine @ filmschool (Daniel Del Negro) was used to call to the cinema. You'd never listen the word 'cinema' from his mouth ;-) And, of course, documentaries can surely be as much storytelling as narrative.

Cinematographer's job is not to tell the story. Yes, when working with a director the two go hand in hand, but the thread is about the best Cinematographers not storytellers. Just my thoughts.

Phil

The days of the camera test are over, we know when these cams work and when they dont

To me being a cinematographer is using the camera to tell a story preferably for a client

Be that client ones own mind, a debuting penniless student director, or a budgeted and paying corporate client or record label

Perferably for an audience that doesnt give a monkeys about the aquisition format, apart liking what they see and if they paid for it appreciating the budget simplicity of production and speed of delivery

S

Phil

The days of the camera test are over, we know when these cams work and when they dont

S

Surely you can't be serious that the days of camera tests are over ?? There are a whole new batch of cameras heading this way over the next year, and the next year and the next year... Camera tests will continue as long as new products offer improvements or hint there are.

You might think your beyond them now, but as you know that's how a lot of vid-DSLRer's started and will start. Remember your D90 and Merlin tests? Embrace your past!

Phil

To me being a cinematographer is using the camera to tell a story preferably for a client

Be that client ones own mind, a debuting penniless student director, or a budgeted and paying corporate client or record label

Perferably for an audience that doesnt give a monkeys about the aquisition format, apart liking what they see and if they paid for it appreciating the budget simplicity of production and speed of delivery

S

Not sure Sam. There will always be new cameras. Philip has succeeded where many would like to go. He is a case of worldwide popularity. Even Rick McCallum, well, Star Wars' producer is among the crowd. Me and Philip (I'm not sure if you were born yet :) we were both kids when he produced the first one (Return of the Jedi), so I understand what you're trying to say but my bets are still up, today more than ever.

It is more a matter of talent and intelligence. And Philip has both sides of the coin.

to clarify - the 7d, 5d etc testing period is over, the basic concept that a cine size chip and 'look' (excluding res and DR) for less than $20k is now understood and IMO being a cinematorapher requires working on real projects

of course new devices need testing

Unfortuanately Im old enough to have watched Star Wars on the big screen when released in '77 or thereabouts

S

I have to disagree a bit there Jason. A Cinematographer's job is not to tell the story. Yes, when working with a director the two go hand in hand, but the thread is about the best Cinematographers not storytellers. Just my thoughts.

I didn't mean to imply that one must be a storyteller in order to be a cinematographer... Just that when looking for fresh clips on the internet from skilled shooters, I tend to prefer ones with a narrative as opposed to compilation clips... merely b/c there is an abundance of the latter. Compilation clips generally contain shots of available light, "natural" scenery, etc.... So, it is good to see people use other skillsets of a cinematographer beyond just good composition and framing.

I think that I'm one of the best cinematogrphers....in my house...when I actually decide to shoot something...worthwhile (or at all) :)

Other than that my favorites are....anyone that decides to pick up a camera and actually shoot something.

Phil

S

I have no idea what the relevance of what you are saying is...

I really think you should look up what the definition of a cinematographer is...you seem to be getting things somewhat mixed up. The director/ writer tells the story, the cinematographer captures that story.

Back