I think XL H1 20x has red line problem

A still frame of a mini35 shot looks great. But the actual moving video shows a screendoor/ground glass grain problem. Apparently P&S Technik is working on a revised version of the mini35 to fix the problem.

From what I've heard P&S was being stubborn about admitting there was a problem until one of the German lens engineers over at Birns & Sawyer got on the phone and sprechen Sie Deutsches with them.
 
Scott Billups, however, says the mini35 footage looks too soft for a filmout. However, if the intended distribution medium is DVD or broadcast it should be fine.
 
Look at the Birns & Sawyer symbol and the red on the stand. Renders better with the Cooke. The 16X lens gives cleaner results like this too! I hope we get prime lenses, however I don't believe any optical company is going to waste their time to make primes for a direct connection to a 1/3 ccd. :-( Now if we get a $1,000 dollar version of a P&S that would be nice....

Sanders, I thought you bought a 16x manual off Ebay?


Here are some frame grabs from some new color tests done with the XLH1. Tiffen type softefx filter as well on one frame...

http://homepage.mac.com/pappasarts/PhotoAlbum4.html

MORE XLH1 FOOTAGE:

LINK: http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/...tefn=RootSite.xml&aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en

You will need this VLC player to view m2t's
http://www.videolan.org/

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
PappasArts & Arrfilms Main site
CONTACT VIA AOL INSTANT MESSENGER
AT { PAPPASARTS2 }
XLH1 FOOTAGE AND FRAME GRABS:
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
http://www.PappasArts.com
http://www.Myspace.com/PappasArts
 
I tried to too but I got outbid in the last 5 seconds of the auction. Someone came in and swooped it up.

That's okay, though. I'd set my price at $650 and then violated that by bidding up to $705 and just when I thought I was the high bidder ten seconds before the end some knuckelhead grabbed it for $734.99.

However, Canon's lending me a 16x and 3x for the run of my shoot in April. So I'm covered for a short time.
 
Glad to know your gettin the 16x to work with. Let us know how the 3x looks on the H1. Very curious.

Robert- BTW,, what did the focus gears and rod cost you! I just loveeeeee your setup. It's looks like pretty much the one I used at Birns in this photo
at the top of this page I think! http://www.Myspace.com/PappasArts Minus Focus rig........


Pappas


Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
PappasArts & Arrfilms Main site
CONTACT VIA AOL INSTANT MESSENGER
AT { PAPPASARTS2 }
XLH1 and HVX200 frame grabs and news here:
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
http://www.PappasArts.com
http://www.Myspace.com/PappasArts
 
I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the gears and rods costs individually as I put together and whole package price. I'm sure there's an invoice lying around somewhere with the individual line items. But, alas, I'm at the office...
 
the 16X lens work in HD model very well......?
some one said they give back canon to fix 16x lens three times when they use in HD model.......why ?
 
Pappas has had really nice results with the 16x manual lens. The footage looks great. It's a little more contrasty than the stock 20x, but I like that look anyway.
 
Yes it does. The camera flashes a warning, but that's it. Michael Pappas has hooked that lens up the H1 and used in HD mode and shot a ton of gorgeous footage.

Barlow Elton bought the lens and is currently using on his H1 in HD mode.
 
wow. I had no idea. .. sure enough.. put the lens on and it flashes but stays in hd mode. Thanks for the enlightenment.
 
Last edited:
I like that look too! The contrast/blacks look nice with this piece of glass.

The awesome thing about that lens is; it will hold a 1.6f-stop all the way through the zoom range. Now that's got to be a pretty good lens to do that! When you get that lens, you'll love it!

Pappas

starway2001@mac.com said:
Pappas has had really nice results with the 16x manual lens. The footage looks great. It's a little more contrasty than the stock 20x, but I like that look anyway.
 
It only flashes for a few seconds: if you push a button it will go a way immediately too!

Shane Realm said:
wow. I had no idea. .. sure enough.. put the lens on and it flashes but stays in hd mode. Thanks for the enlightenment.
 
16xhd.gif
 
Hey Shane,

I'm loving your custom presets, man. Especially the 5298. I'm going to be using primarily the 5296 and the 5248 during my shoot.

How did you come up with those formulas for Eastman emulation?
 
The 16x lense looks sweet on the H1. It just has such a nice "professional" posture that I think commands a little more respect on the set.

It's a subliminal thing.

But even Keifer Sutherland said that a larger camera rig influences his acting.
 
Back
Top