I have an idea for workflow. shoot it down or hold it up.

Chris Kenny said:
Not even that long. Intel is due to release its quad-core "Clovertown" Xeons before the end of this year. We could have 8-core Xeon towers before Christmas.

We just got one on loan Friday. 8 cores will make this quite doable.
 
This is AMAZING!!! Why aren't you an official third party of Red, David? Hey Red Team? Cineform could be a solution, a third via being an affordable option...
 
Yeah, from a consumer's perspective, I hope RED will work with Cineform so we have a great (and hopefully not too expensive) post solution that everyone can handle on a high-end home PC, even at 4k.
 
brings me to a point, when is PHD going to have REALTIME curves?!? if that was the ONLY tool for CC I had I would be happy with reatime from my cineform system
 
Gordon Prince said:
This is AMAZING!!! Why aren't you an official third party of Red, David? Hey Red Team? Cineform could be a solution, a third via being an affordable option...

I didn't know Red has any "official third party" companies. If so we should be, we have meet several times, as we are just down the road from Red headquarters (50 minute away), there is no reason for a high level of support from Red.
 
obin said:
brings me to a point, when is PHD going to have REALTIME curves?!? if that was the ONLY tool for CC I had I would be happy with reatime from my cineform system

Obin, always off topic. Things are busy but that is on the schedule.
 
David Newman said:
I didn't know Red has any "official third party" companies. If so we should be, we have meet several times, as we are just down the road from Red headquarters (50 minute away), there is no reason for a high level of support from Red.
Email Jim. He seems to be a reasonable guy. I can imagine they have their own ideas on the matter and you are competition. Graeme and you both share the same bed and the same lady. But at the same time you're a third party too with prior experience. And a good value because there aren't negative reviews on yours. At least, I didn't read anything.
 
Last edited:
Tom Lowe said:
Yeah, from a consumer's perspective, I hope RED will work with Cineform so we have a great (and hopefully not too expensive) post solution that everyone can handle on a high-end home PC, even at 4k.

Yes, I hope is supportive as they can be as we will have the most mature post solution for some time, particularly on the PC (where we have been working on higher resolution compressed media for over 5 years.)
 
And it seems they are more Mac than PC but they promised to be at PC side too. We hope with the same performance. Graeme and others are promising.

Competition between you both is welcome from a customer's perspective.
 
Gordon Prince said:
Email Jim. He seems to be a reasonable guy. I can imagine they have their own ideas on the matter and you are competition. Graeme and you both share the same bed and the same lady. But at the same time you're a third party too with prior experience. And a good value because there aren't negative reviews on yours. At least, I didn't read anyone.

Jim, knows us well (and Ted more so.) Red shouldn't think of as competition (Jim, do you?) as we just like Apple, Avid, Adobe and other NLE vendors (really more like a Matrox) we will only help sell more Red cameras. I understand it is difficult for Red to embrace any editing vendor while there are working out the wrinkles in their own post solution, but if Red is in the business to sell cameras, we are a great partner. CineForm has made a living enhancing the workflows of all HD+ cameras, Red is just the cream of the crop.
 
Gordon Prince said:
And it seems they are more Mac than PC but they promised to be at PC side too. We hope with the same performance. Graeme and others are promising.

Competition between both of you is welcome from a customer's perspective.

Again I believe our approaches will be quite different, nothing getter than giving the user choice.
 
I have been using PHD/PP2 on a laptop for a week now. Playing with HVX 1080p24, converted to PHD 10-bit. System runs like a dream, considering no additional hardware. Can't wait for the Core 2 Duo Quads to come out, so I can build a tower and chuck in the OEM Xena card and go the full hog with this amazing CineForm codec and hardware combo. On-line 10-bit HD from the start to end, at SD data rates. A few SATA drives in the tower and I will be set.

David and his team have been amazing and very personal for support/questions I have/had. :thumbsup:
 
David Newman said:
Jim, knows us well (and Ted more so.) Red shouldn't think of as competition (Jim, do you?) as we just like Apple, Avid, Adobe and other NLE vendors (really more like a Matrox) we will only help sell more Red cameras. I understand it is difficult for Red to embrace any editing vendor while there are working out the wrinkles in their own post solution, but if Red is in the business to sell cameras, we are a great partner. CineForm has made a living enhancing the workflows of all HD+ cameras, Red is just the cream of the crop.

Kudos. However their business is also their own workflow. It is what they're posting allover internet. But you can do your own business and do your competitor role.

Thinking better don't email them! :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG) Do guerilla work as theirselves in their camera business. And the profit will be ours. Well, ours too or the most part. But who doesn't want to make an advantage?!...
 
Last edited:
Gordon Prince said:
And it seems they are more Mac than PC but they promised to be at PC side too. We hope with the same performance. Graeme and others are promising.

Delivering high-performance code for both Intel Macs and Wintel machines should be pretty easy. Most low-level optimization is processor-specific, not OS-specific, and the processor is the same now. Assuming REDCINE runs mostly on the CPU, the only part that would probably be OS-specific is the user interface; all the underlying code could be fully cross-platform.

The other possibility is that Red might leverage graphics cards. In that case, it could depend what route they take. If they go through OpenGL directly, that would also be fairly easily portable to Windows. On the other hand, it might be tempting to use Apple's Core Image, which obviously doesn't exist on Windows.

I would hope that Red also wouldn't forget about PPC Macs. There are a lot of them kicking around. I'm still using a dual 2 GHz G5 as my primary system, and even if we buy new systems, well, we'll have 3 G5s kicking around, and it would be great to use them for big footage conversions overnight, etc.
 
Online 4K is the goal. If FCP won't handle 4K by April-June, the via will be the PC side. And the Cineform fence/defense if Red won't supply the task.
 
What kinda storage space are we looking at here. I'm hearing 4k online!! My brain is melting... How large are these Cineform raw files?
 
Gordon Prince said:
Online 4K is the goal. If FCP won't handle 4K by April-June, the via will be the PC side. And the Cineform fence/defense if Red won't supply the task.

NAB2007 is in April. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Final Cut Pro 6 announcement of some sort there (though it might not ship right away).

Apple has been developing and acquiring a lot of technology which FCP isn't presently taking advantage of. I'd expect the next release to be pretty major. Look for lots of leveraging of the GPU, and possibly for some of the color grading features of FinalTouch to show up. I'd also expect some new media management features (borrowing some aspects of the Aperture interface, maybe).

As part of the move from software-based rendering to GPU-based rendering, they'll probably just replace the rendering system wholesale. They've also announced Shake is end-of-life, which might be related; I expect what Apple wants to do is move both Shake and Final Cut Pro onto an expanded version of the Motion rendering system, which is far more modern than what Shake or Final Cut have today.

One thing we could see during this transition is a switch to codec-agnostic and resolution-agnostic real-time effects. That is, instead of Final Cut refusing to even try to render things in real-time except when using 'blessed' codecs at approved resolutions, the next version, based around the new renderer, might be able to render anything readable by QuickTime in real time (subject, of course, to the limitations imposed by hardware). Motion can already do this, so if my speculation about the rendering engine switch is accurate, I'd consider this quite likely.

If Final Cut were codec and resolution agnostic, this would, of course, make it much easier for Final Cut users to adopt new workflows. Companies like Red and CineForm could deliver a first-rate user experience in Final Cut just by implementing their codecs in QuickTime. And there wouldn't be any question about whether it could handle 4K or 8K or 16K... the question would just be, how much hardware can you throw at it?

(And if Apple is planning to extend the Motion engine for Shake, they'll probably add clustering support. Maybe future versions of Motion and Final Cut could also benefit from that. But the Shake replacement apparently isn't due until 2008, so even if that shows up I'd guess it would be after FCP 6.)
 
Tom Lowe said:
Kjetil, about 100 gigs per hour of footage at 4K compressed 24p, I believe.

Yes that is about right. Numbers will vary somewhat based on image content, but that is a good average.
 
Chris Kenny said:
If Final Cut were codec and resolution agnostic, this would, of course, make it much easier for Final Cut users to adopt new workflows. Companies like Red and CineForm could deliver a first-rate user experience in Final Cut just by implementing their codecs in QuickTime. And there wouldn't be any question about whether it could handle 4K or 8K or 16K... the question would just be, how much hardware can you throw at it?

That's the question: to be or not more or less expensive? Mac? Or the cheaper PC?
 
Back
Top