HV20 24P Did I do this right?

Michael Anthony Horrigan

More Cowbell Pictures
www.morecowbellpictures.com/downloads/small.mov
18MB

I used AE to do the pulldown.
Then I used QT Pro to make the file size a little smaller.
Did I do this correctly?

I also did this on my PC laptop so I'm not sure how well it looks.
I'll have to check on my Mac later. I adjusted the contrast a bit but that is all.

Does Final Cut Pro do the pulldown on the fly during import?

Thanks,

Mike
 
www.morecowbellpictures.com/downloads/small.mov
18MB

I used AE to do the pulldown.
Then I used QT Pro to make the file size a little smaller.
Did I do this correctly?

I also did this on my PC laptop so I'm not sure how well it looks.
I'll have to check on my Mac later. I adjusted the contrast a bit but that is all.

Does Final Cut Pro do the pulldown on the fly during import?

Thanks,

Mike

If you don't do pulldown properly and render your video as 24p you will get ghosting in your videos. Your video doesn't have too much movement so I am not sure but from what I can see you did it correctly. When you play and pause your video quickly and see a halo effect around moving objects, then there is a problem.

As for FCP, you first need to capture your video then do the conversion. If you want to do it on the fly check out Cineform's NEO-HD.
 
Well, I guess the only real movement is the ballerina.
I don't see any ghosting though.

NEO HD.... I've heard about it. I'll look into it further.

Thanks!

Mike
 
If you won After Effects, I wouldn't bother buying Cinform HD. I capture from the HV20 using HDVSplit (it's free on the internet). Then load each clip into After Effects, go to interpret footage and click auto detect pulldown. This works 99.9% of the time. I've had it mess up twice and put it lower frame first instead of upper. Then you should have a 23.976 clip. Then you can take it from there. I personally render the clips out to quicktime photo jpeg at 75% quality and work with the .MOV files when editting.

There's some advice from someone that has been through this battle.
 
Are you using FCP Studio 2? You can do it pretty easily with compressor but not during injest. You capture as hdv then convert.

I can go dig up the apple link that explains it if you need it.
 
That's exactly how I did it (HDVSplit).
It takes a while to export it from AE though. I used Quicktime H.264 100% quality

What do you edit with?

I edit with Premiere CS3, You have to do a custom setup though since Premiere seems to have no previsoins for new HDV cameras like the HV20.

I would use Vegas, but in Premiere I can move it into After Effects. I used a demo of Cineform for a bit, but I'm just happier with the results of doing it with After Effects.

I'd show you some footage with both, but since you obviously think I'm an a$$hole or something I guess I won't. (just kidding)

The photo jpeg is good, I haven't tried H.264, I'll have to give that a shot.
 
Back
Top