GH1 firmware research volunteers required

After seeing all these high-bitrate MJPEG tests using NURBS settings - does this mean these new MJPEG modes are ready for real world use or still premature? I'd like to see if I can start using it in an upcoming shoot.

Only problem that can arise is you can come to very high detailed shot and have record stopped.
So, test your settings with your card before this.
Plus I suggest really good card, freshly formatted. As any delay at such speed and you'll have buffer overrun and card speed message.

Ha! You're already bigger than me!

Wait, everyone is bigger than me.

Wait wait, that's a totally different topic... nevermind. ;P

This is off topic. Sorry. But, I've been reviewing my 1080p footage on camera and computer and I found that on all the footages, if you zoom in to the entire lower bottom are lines of rainbow-colored artifacts going on. Anyone have this problem too?

Do you find it in the bottom 8 pixels only? Mine has that issue, I've learned to live with it and crop it out.

AVCHD compression 1 & 3

Overall bit rate : 15.3 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps
Bit rate : 14.5 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 16.6 Mbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.291

AVCHD without patches

Overall bit rate : 15.2 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps
Bit rate : 14.4 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 16.6 Mbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.231
Frame rate : 29.970 fps

http://www.nikolicnemanja.com/test2.rar

Wait a minut for download 'cause still uploading...

GF1
Almost all useful patches ported to GF1,
including latest MJPEG settings.

Amazing job tester13 and all other testers!

I will definately make a donation once I get my next paycheck :) my main interest however is to see the HDMI live output come true on the GH1 or even at GF1. Hope you can make it. Though it looks like the MJPEG highbitrate is becoming a fantastic option too!

I already own a GH1 and I am looking forward to get GF1 for multicam projects. How close is the GF1 720P MJPEG picture quality compared to GH1 with this patch? Is it exactly the same? Do you think GF1 could be hacked to shoot 1080P?

Btw. GF1 body only cost 599.90 € here in Finland... :( any hints where to get it for better price.

my main interest however is to see the HDMI live output come true on the GH1 or even at GF1.

You must understand that it is very hard.
Almost impossible to do without documentation or at least object files.

I already own a GH1 and I am looking forward to get GF1 for multicam projects. How close is the GF1 720P MJPEG picture quality compared to GH1 with this patch? Is it exactly the same? Do you think GF1 could be hacked to shoot 1080P?

I expect maximum bitrate to be the same.
All else is sensor dependant.
So, no 1080p.

Btw. GF1 body only cost 599.90 € here in Finland... :( any hints where to get it for better price.

Look on ebay for Japanese GF1 bodies.
You can also ask any reputable guys here who live in Japan.

Last edited:
Hi thisisapocalypse. Yes, the artifacts are there as you say they are. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yeah, I'll be cropping my footages from now on.

Tester13, great job. I find myself checking this thread every couple hours.

Have you found anything relating to MJPEG and it's 4:2:0 color space. It would be a great for us VFX artists if we could switch it to 4:2:2 or 4::4:4.

Thanks for the time and effort your putting into this. You sir, are awesome.

Have you found anything relating to MJPEG and it's 4:2:0 color space. It would be a great for us VFX artists if we could switch it to 4:2:2 or 4::4:4.

At 75 percent quality photojpeg is 4:2:2. Not to mention that it's intraframe. That should be plenty for vfx. I have totally given up on the AVCHD component for this camera. It's not going to compete with the mjpeg.

PTool 3.32 Released
GF1
Almost all useful patches ported to GF1,
including latest MJPEG settings.

Yay, hurray!
Thanks so very much! Will check it out asap.

Btw. is there any chance of patching the minimum shutter-speed (for stills) below 1/4000s? Would be very convenient for shooting wide-open (for DOF) with fast lens (like the f1.7/20mm or old legacy lenses) during daylight.

Amazing job tester13 and all other testers!

I will definately make a donation once I get my next paycheck :) my main interest however is to see the HDMI live output come true on the GH1 or even at GF1. Hope you can make it. Though it looks like the MJPEG highbitrate is becoming a fantastic option too!

I bought from this seller,GF1 kit with 20mm lens for around 580 €:
http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/eTech-Ma...6?_nkw=panasonic&submit=Search&LH_TitleDesc=1

Back