Forget about RED....Check this out!

Guys, I'll swing by the booth tomorrow and check it out. I'll report back on Thursday if no one beats me to it. With pictures if allowed...

Regards

Jim Arthurs
 
I got some shots of the Phantom for you guys. The image quality was amazing.

098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg
 
I cannot for the life of me find the paper work that I got on it, I'll keep looking though. Luckily Jim will be going by the booth tomorrow, so I'm sure he'll be able to fill you in on it.
 
1080P Camera

1080P Camera

Why not consider the Silicon Imaging SI-1920HDR Remote Head camera for $12.5k which you can use a modern dual core computer to capture, record and edit over gigabit Ethernet?
 
Why not consider the Silicon Imaging SI-1920HDR Remote Head camera for $12.5k which you can use a modern dual core computer to capture, record and edit over gigabit Ethernet?

I personally saw the footage of this camera on their site. I particularly liked it more than the hvx and was compressed demo. I'm one of the few that likes film grain and the demo shows a very film like grain. I don't like noise less images ( depending on the noise type though) The color reproduction although a bit oversaturated however gave a pleasing image to me.

Actually considering it.
 
So what's the street on the Phantom 65 then? Is there a chance we could lavish a little attention on this already here device before NAB ends. I'm curious about:

AUDIO (single or double system?)
RECORDING FORMAT(S)

e
 
overlandfilms said:
So what's the street on the Phantom 65 then? Is there a chance we could lavish a little attention on this already here device before NAB ends. I'm curious about:

AUDIO (single or double system?)
RECORDING FORMAT(S)

e

There seems to be some confusion about the phantom hd and 65. There are two variants of this camera: the 65 is 4k (4096x2440 max), 125fps max, using 65mm lenses. The HD is 2k (2048x1152 or 1920x1080), using 35mm (PL) lenses.

The image format from both is 16-bit RAW (Bayer), uncompressed.

The cameras don't record any audio. They handle more like film cameras than video.

Radu
 
Ok you guys, I did some checking on the two cameras being shown at NAB by Vision Research, and they are BRUISERS (and come at a bruising price too).

Two models, the Phantom 65 (65mm full frame CMOS) and the Phantom HD (35mm full frame CMOS). FYI, the Phantom 65 model is 4096x2044, 1-125fps, 14-bit, removable flash mags, etc. TONS of high-end features, including the ability to setup frame-rate profiles. The Phantom HD sports a PL mount, and has mounts available for other lenses too.

The whole enchilada at FresHDV, where I've got a pretty detailed rundown of camera specs, as well as base pricing. This is all direct from one of the founders of VR...so I'm pretty sure this is the real deal and accurate.
 
Simon Wyndham said:
Nah. I need that one for shooting birthday parties and council board meetings.

Don't forget to buy a third one for your coffee table. That'd spawn all sorts of interesting conversations. Just remember to include a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign, and a touch-sensitive alarm. :)
 
I hadn't thought of that. I have a door that keeps closing too due to a misaligned hinge, so I'd better buy a fourth as a door stop. ;-)
 
Bruisers

Bruisers

ok, that last post didn't work very well...

simon,
you could use it as a hammer too if you like, it's built just as sturdy as all of our other cameras which typically get smashed into walls by the automotive industry, and thrown into pits where they test large caliber artillery rounds by the military...the only moving part is the cooling fan, which is field replaceable.

so yes, they are bruisers =)

but seriously, what would everyone like to know about these two cameras?

these are really built to compete with 35mm film cameras, not the lower end of the field.

I do plan on creating a document which will outline the costs of shooting 4K images (with any camera system), and comparing them to 16mm, 35mm, and 65mm film. It should demonstrate that 4K imaging, no matter the inital cost of the camera, is still not for the small budget project. its really the storage space required that is the largest cost, at least long term anyway.

Jarred, isnt that shot that you have posted of yourself a test shot from a Phantom V5.0? I told you I had something coming, its been a busy year =)

more to come...
Phil
VisionResearch
 
oldboy said:
Hey everyone, while I admit that we're all guilty of day dreaming about owning some of these super cameras that promise and do big things, we are indie filmmakers and while we're busy dreaming, others are out shooting on cameras some of would consider "crappier". Remember "28 days later" was shot years ago on a Canon Xl1s. Granted they had the post budget to make it look nice but still. "Breaking the waves" was shot on a lesser camera years before that. It's the story and the execution that matters. Remember great directing, editing, sound and great acting will save a "poorer" looking image any day.

Go out and shoot your stories and make them look as good as they can be with the equipment you already have. There are people making great looking films with the dvx100 (not a or b, but the original one).

Thumbs up to y'all!

PS: Having said all that if I could grab an HVX for a bargain price of under 4k, I would :)

THANK YOU!!! I saw this thread and thought "Holy @&%&!#$, people can't even be satisfied with a DVX anymore". What is wrong with everyone? Drooling over 4K as if sensor size and crazy image quality can magically make your films for you. If you're not going to work to make a film with a DVX then what is a RED going to do for you? RED can't be your DP or AD or anything to help you make a film. So quit whining about this 'need' for all of us 'indie' filmmakers to get a 4K camera. Why the heck do you need 4K? Most of us right now can't even STORE 4K, let alone edit it. I'm all for the RED, don't get me wrong, but it's people that whine and whine about not having some sort of miracle camera to shoot with that never go anywhere. Shoot what you can with what you have. The DVX is STILL an amazing camera, whether it's HD or not. Don't get so caught up in competing with the 'Jones's' that you forget what the goal is.
 
Back
Top