Follow Me - FIRST FEST ENTRY

A cute little story. I agree that showing a pile of previously shot bodies before she returns the note would have added some value to the bit. I think that editing wise, the cuts in several places come a little too quickly, and by lingering on the notes a little longer you could create a touch more drama.

John
 
Quirky, fun film. Nice work on this, Ryan. Loved the opening shot and title.
Simple and to the point, I liked it a lot. Great piano score. Really quirky feel to it that works really well with the film.

Memorable Moment
This film was a bit short for me to pick out one moment that I thought worked really well, but in all honestly I think the whole thing was fun, and memorable.

Great work! I really am looking forward to seeing what you do next.
 
While I agree that less is more I also believe that you have to tell the story within that concept. She likes to meet guys to their deaths I am not sure that qualifies
for betrayal since there's no emotional connection or any connection.

It was a very short, short film and I commend you for getting something out there.
 
I would have liked to have seen it extended with slower pacing and a more isolated location. Seemed a bit unbelievable in that setting. I liked the look and overall it was very well done.
 
It was very cool to see another silent film in the fest (mine is one as well).

I really liked the simplicity of this. The ending is odd and unexpected, but that is also some of it's charm. I really liked the score too.

Well done.
 
I hate to be a buzzkill especially when I'm new here, but hasn't anybody seen the Kids in the Hall sketch that's exactly the same joke, but with the infamous Headcrusher waiting at the end of the notes?

I knew something was ringing a bell.

This really did feel like a comedy sketch without the comedy. Look at Monty Python, they'd do stuff like this all the time, but always with some insane twist that made it memorable. "He's a newscaster reporting a funny story – but the camera pulls back and the news desk is on the back of a moving truck!"

Unfortunately you didn't have that. While I appreciate the simplicity in concept, I just needed more... or, better than more, something I haven't seen before instead of a gun and bang you're dead. As it is I couldn't tell how serious or funny this was meant to be. The toy gun complicates that issue.

I do admire your economy of storytelling, though. You got in and got out and didn't do anything you didn't need to. That's nice to see.
 
Great job getting a film into the fest....you're on your way.
Looking forward to your next film!
 
My critique for Follow Me
The story:
Very quick and to the point. Awesome!

The acting:
Both characters stayed on top of their character!

The camerawork:
Very solid and powerful camerawork

The editing:
Everything fit in perfectly!

The sound and music:
Liked how you made it a silent film. The music composition was very cool!

Overall impression:
Sucks what happened to him in the end but it wasn't predictable. I thought she would at least steal his wallet? lol

My favorite shot:
screenshot20100310at806.png
 
Hmm... Ryan, did you delete all your posts? This review might be for naught.

Anyway, this was fun and simple. Visually it worked, and the music was appropriate.

I wanted more though. Either more backstory as to why did this girl pick this guy, or more of the twisty turny notes. He could have gone through buildings, seen a little note that said look up, then seen a note on the ceiling... there are a lot of creative ways you could have stretched the concept. Or if you went the backstory route, as he lied there dying, you could flashback to his last thoughts, the memory that explains why she did this to him.
 
HEY LADY. YOU CAN'T JUST GO AROUND SHOOTING PEOPLE. lol.

I'll echo jason's sentiment. fun and simple. of course, we know something's going to happen to him, and then he's dead! for some reason it brought a little smile to my face.

I also, was left wanting more, this felt like the 3rd act of a film, and not surprisingly, it was about a third of the max runtime. Are we going to see more?
 
So when i finished the only question i had was.. really... she just shot him and is gonna do it again... man she doesn't even wait..

seems like it's like a weekly routine for her... tease... shot.. kill.. repeat..
the story was good and simple and a great betrayal.. just kindof quick to the point.
 
Back
Top