Firmware update is on the way for the 5D

Best Buy has a stock of 'em.

I'll grab one purely to have around for lil' rentals. Let it pay itself off. =D
 
This was posted today on Cinema5D ...

---------

I have it from an absolutely reputable source, the 5DM2's were tested for use on 'Ironman II" with " Upgraded Firmware". The cameras were not chosen for use due to sound issues and in this application focus was going to have to be done through the monitor and not the lense. They went with the Silicon Graphics SK1 used on Slumdog.
Point being the Firmware Upgrade does exist, how or when the rest of us are going to get it is the question.

---------

Gotta love the rumor mill! :beer:
 
This was posted today on Cinema5D ...

---------

I have it from an absolutely reputable source, the 5DM2's were tested for use on 'Ironman II" with " Upgraded Firmware". The cameras were not chosen for use due to sound issues and in this application focus was going to have to be done through the monitor and not the lense. They went with the Silicon Graphics SK1 used on Slumdog.
Point being the Firmware Upgrade does exist, how or when the rest of us are going to get it is the question.

---------

Gotta love the rumor mill! :beer:

Sounds like a rumor within a rumor.

I just have one question, why would a Hollywood film maker not use a camera based on its "sound issues"? External sound capturing equipment is always used on any set where they will require decent sound.
 
My 5D MKII arrived Friday. Have been to busy camping and editing to actually shoot anything yet but just in playing with it in the office, pretty sweet with my Nikon AIs. Also bought the Z-Finder and the Singh-Ray VariND for it. Will be shooting a lot of cool stuff with it next week. I hope that all of these manual control rumors are true. The hacks are a pain but it is a workable camera for a lot of different situations.

Also received the Zoom H4N. Nice sounding unit!

Dan
 
Lifted from canonrumors.com ...

-------------------------------

From Planet5D

“the crew working on the next Harry Potter movie has 2 Canon EOS 5D Mark II cameras on set for filming. And, they’re using Panavision lenses on the 5D2s.”
 
that sounds like a tall tale....

HP franchise is not goingto use a 5d MKII... MAYBE for a bit of extra coverage or an insert shot...
 
Ha, so the rumor went from this camera is being used on Iron Man II to they chose not to use it because of the hassle. Harry Potter, really? It must be a REALLY slow week on canonrumors. :)
 
the whole Iron Man theme is amazing... sounds almost like someone wanted to see how far one can really push the rumor line...

why would a well planned production say, hmm... lets hold on for a moment and test this camera new firmware here so we can save a bit on a using expensive one...

funds are the least of worries on such productions as well as monkeying around 'testing' smth as well...maybe the security guard on the set is testing it...

i do believe firmware is coming, the hack effort is also showing some progress, so we'll definitely get something...
 
Well if it was just one case I would never buy it.

There have been multiple sources that have confirmed the use of the 5D2 on Iron Man II, some of which carry some weight (for example TV Guide). So this is not something I can just shake off. It's really not our place to say who and how the camera can be used.

It has been used on theatrical feature films already, this is no rumor. It has been used on very big productions for a fact. On iron man? Who knows!
 
The obvious direction someone should investigate would be what the DVD Bonus crew was shooting with. I could totally see shooting BTS with the 5D MKII. Typically short takes, repeatable actions as the crew shoots multiple takes. That way, rumor gets out that the 5D MKII is "being used" on Ironman II.

Not sure who is shooting BTS on Ironman II but I know that New Wave Entertainment usually handles the Harry Potters. Zak F, any ideas on all of this?

Dan
 
It makes no sense to me for someone to use it for BTS work instead of a camcorder, there is just no need for it. Maybe for a sit down interview..

I think it will be best to wait until the film is released. Our speculation of how, why, and where it was used is no better than the original rumor.

Unless of course someone here has inside information...
 
Unless of course someone here has inside information...

I can find out, really doubt it will be used in the movie unless they want a POV driver jello shot from a fast moving military vehicle in the desert or something like that. Probably for BTS stuff and stills.
 
This was posted today on Cinema5D ...

---------

I have it from an absolutely reputable source, the 5DM2's were tested for use on 'Ironman II" with " Upgraded Firmware". The cameras were not chosen for use due to sound issues and in this application focus was going to have to be done through the monitor and not the lense. They went with the Silicon Graphics SK1 used on Slumdog.
Point being the Firmware Upgrade does exist, how or when the rest of us are going to get it is the question.

---------

Gotta love the rumor mill! :beer:

I call bullshi* on this rumor, I didn't read this post before I made the one above. No way they would turn down the 5DII for sound issues, sound would never even be considered from anything less than a $250k field recorder, they use it for film and they can't use it for a 5DII? BULLshi* and the cam used in Slumdog was a SI2k Mini (THE MINI not the big SI Cam) and agian it's probably for a driver shot inside a fast moving mlitary vehicle or Hum Vee.

Good way to promote the cam until people figure out it's not true then it gets the rap for not being good enough to be used in Iron Man II.

I'll look into it but I'd almost be willing to bet you a 5DII that it is being used for BTS video stuff and stills, after all it is a great way to shoot a director or set without bothering him with a big shoulder mount cam on his set.
 
It also might be used as a stills camera on set OMG! 21MP would be great for shooting static plates.
 
If there is a new firmware, Canon will release it in their own sweet time. With the 5D MKII production still not keeping up with demand worldwide, why rush it? None of the Japanese manufacturers do things for the users, they do them to make money and enhance sales.

The people who really care about this update are statistically very small in number in relation to the worldwide 5D MKII sales. It is a still camera that shoots video after all.

Dan
 
No reason it can't appeal to both the stills and video market at the same time. Keep in mind that no other video camera can do what the 5D Mark II can in this price range.

When I decided to get the 5D Mark II, I already needed a video camera. I was ready to grab a new Panasonic camcorder, got the Canon 5D Mark II instead. So instead of Panasonic getting my sale it was Canon and I seriously doubt I'm the only one!
Since then I have purchased 4 Canon batteries, 3 Canon lenses, and an AC adapter.

They came so close! If it only had manual control to begin with... Canon really lost an opportunity I doubt they will get again. It's still in their best interest to release firmware asap...
 
Back
Top