Firmware update is on the way for the 5D

yoclay

Veteran
New arrivals at the Cinema 5D forum (possibly working for Canon) just announced that they are testing the new firmware and it may be here by June.
 
Check out the forums at cinema5d,com. The technical forum.
I have my doubts that manual control will be as simple as downloading a firmware update. Possibly will need to send the camera in for something more done under the hood. I'm just speculating though. It's all up in the air.
 
Anyone could go there and post silly things only for entertainment. I recommend the traditional 'wait and see'. Any information on the poster's background?
 
Nono... this is real.....

:) seriously..... at least 24p is....

im getting a 5D VERY soon because of this...
 
I know manual controls exist for sure. But 24P wasn't part of it. If that's a new for sure then I guess I'll be buyin' me'an MKii body as well.
 
Could have used it a while back when I needed it, oh well. It may be arriving too late for Scarlet though. Still, even though I say this, the thing to remember is that normal people out on the streets, in malls, etc. may not buy the Scarlet as a stills camera even in a barebones configuration. However, they see Canon or Nikon then you're just some guy taking a photo. So, even though the 5D Mark II has, no pun intended, missed the mark for many, it may still serve a useful purpose in certain situations.

Although, let's not forget, this is a rumor right now until there's an official announcement. 24p, manual controls, none of that can be confirmed or denied as part of the firmware update. So far, all we've got hitting the rumor mill over and over again is manual controls. 24p is still being tossed up in the air in terms of rumor frequency.
 
but this is the flaw in that thinking.... "they missed the mark"

no they didint. They nailed the mark in the face with a sledgehammer, then set the coprse on fire and drove a monster truck over it.

The mark is a sub 3K body that delivers 21.1 MP and has some of the cleanest noise signature ive ever seen.... The video thing is an after thought. As a STill photgrapher the 5D mII is AMAZING.
 
hey Timur, that's my thoughts as well but I still can't believe how good the video is with no real control. I shoot with it everyday (still and motion). The work around is no more hard for me than all the stuff I do with my 35mm adapter rig and any f-stop and crazy low light ability.
 
but thats my point.... the video mode is a blessing! dont look the gift horse....

but guess what... that horse is soon going to turn into a thorough bred....
 
If they add manual control AND 24fps, then it's a done deal for me. This combo would make it my perfect video cam! Not to mention I would now have a killer DSRL. For me, the 5DMKII gain a lot of points for it's stealth nature.
 
If they add manual control I will most probably buy (Finances permitting) even without 24P (Would rather have 25P). Still looking at manual glass, and at a rapidly depleting bank balance
 
I was on shooting some night time footage on beal st. in memphis in may, and all I can say is this 5d shoots footage that looks on par as $100,000 cams. utterly ridiculas low light capability. and noise was not an issue.

If canon gives me the 24p, i'm looking to get another one. Oh and as timur has said the stills alone warrants the price. It leaves the pani in the dust when it comes to still shooting.
 
All these firmware rumors are driving me insane.

Still, I decided I'd be content if Canon never releases this supposed firmware update. Disappointment, yes. But still content. I have some older Nikon AIS glass, so I'll make do.

Sooooooooo, I purchased the 5DM2 yesterday from Adorama!!!!!!! I'm super excited.
 
no idea i just know it does 24p...



however, it seems to me that manual control is an electronic function. so presumably its a strong possibilty.
 
I know manual controls exist for sure. But 24P wasn't part of it. If that's a new for sure then I guess I'll be buyin' me'an MKii body as well.

Kholi: based on what you know, is it full manual? (aperture,shutter,ISO) ?

i know these things....

a famous DP is currently testing 5 of them out on a very popular network adventure show....

That would make sense if they are introducing 24P also in the upgrade.. I would think if it's only a manual control update, then there is less need to do all of that testing.. 24P is trickier and would require more real-world beta testing.
 
Back
Top