Do You Need HDV Tape?

Claude Isbell

Carbonite Member
Excuse the ignorence. Having never used HDV, I would like to know if it's worth using tapes for HDV, as opposed to regular dv tapes. The reason for the question is that the cd industry marketed "Discs for Audio", when in fact they weren't any better than other discs. Just cost more. If the hdv tapes are better, than fine. I'm just shooting a project, and using an XL-H1 for the first time. Any help is appreciated.
 
I'm not sure if HDV tapes are any better, they might be of higher grade, but you can also get a DV master grade tapes. I think most important is to choose a tape and stick with it. Don't switch tape manufacturers as they have different methods of lubrication and switching between them could clog you record heads resulting in dropped frames. I have been using consumer grade tdk (25 for 10 at Costco) for years on my XL2 and have only noticed dropped frames after recording on the tape more than twice and even then it is minimal.
 
Thanks. Yes, I started with Sony, and stuck with it on my DVX100. I have some Sony Premium(Purchased at B&H for about $3), and was looking at the store at some Sony's recommended for HDV for $10. Didn't want to fork out any extra money if it isn't necessary.
 
Back
Top