Considering buying a new EX-1 (not R), opinions?

jeff9329

Well-known member
What would constitute a too good to refuse deal on an EX-1? I have a line on a new EX-1 for $5,800.

Would I be crazy to pick it up now with the EX-1R coming in the future?

I have a shoot in November where I need an additional cam, I could rent an EX-1 for about $550ish though to get me through it.

I have talked to a lot of authorized Sony dealers today. No one knows anything for sure, but it may be January before the 1R is available. If I knew the 1R cost was going to be $6,100 like the EX-1, I would certainly wait. It's the combination of increased cost over $5,800 and needing the camera now pushing me.

Opinions are appreciated.
__________________
 
The $5,800 is certaintly attractive for a new EX1... that a $400 difference many others paid for their new EX1s! And the image quailty won't be any different from the EX1R. Sounds like you are concerned about length of wait plus actual street price. I admit, I'm more worried about the time factor. I'm resigned to wait until January. For the last couple years it seems whenever the end of the year comes around I buy some big ticket video gear item in December and it's not in my hand until January for whatever reason. Including gear in stock!

I'm assuming the street price will be the same as the EX1. I doubt Sony will want to slow the momentum the EX1/EX3 gear is generating. I reserve the right to be wrong on everything I say btw... ;)

You have interesting pickle to sort out... good luck!
-Tony
 
What would constitute a too good to refuse deal on an EX-1? I have a line on a new EX-1 for $5,800.

Would I be crazy to pick it up now with the EX-1R coming in the future?

I have a shoot in November where I need an additional cam, I could rent an EX-1 for about $550ish though to get me through it.

I have talked to a lot of authorized Sony dealers today. No one knows anything for sure, but it may be January before the 1R is available. If I knew the 1R cost was going to be $6,100 like the EX-1, I would certainly wait. It's the combination of increased cost over $5,800 and needing the camera now pushing me.

Opinions are appreciated.
__________________

I have seen on BnH the new EX1 for almost 8 thousand. Personally I think that is too much for minor upgrades. You said you found the EX1 for under 6 from different vendors, might i beable to get that contact information since i was looking into purchasing one myself. Thanks
 
personally i love this camera i think that it suits indy films perfectly!!

later,
nodice productions
 
I have seen on BnH the new EX1 for almost 8 thousand. Personally I think that is too much for minor upgrades. You said you found the EX1 for under 6 from different vendors, might i beable to get that contact information since i was looking into purchasing one myself. Thanks

Hey Fareed, I suspect that B&H put the MSRP for now, but will change it closer to the old EX1 price WHEN the EX1R is available. Time will tell..
 
Hey Fareed, I suspect that B&H put the MSRP for now, but will change it closer to the old EX1 price WHEN the EX1R is available. Time will tell..

The $7,790 cost is a little scary, thats only about $500 less than the EX-3. I hope that's not the official final MSRP.

For the EX-1R I suspect the MAP and the price dealers will sell for will be set a few hundred above the EX-1 cost. Otherwise current EX-1s will be excessively depreciated which will upset the current user base.

I believe in doing things the right way the first time, so I think Im going to wait on the EX-1R and hope the selling price is $6,500ish.
 
Those little fixes on the R really look great but $7,790 just seems too high. The current EX is just such a work horse I can only assume that the R will be the same. Tough call to go with the origional or the R. I'm positive that some people will make the switch and there will be only slightly used origionals available. You might be able to pick up 2 origionals for the price of one R. You really have to ask your self. Do I need and will I use all the extras? It's a tough call but either way you go the EX camera will make you $$$
 
You have to factor in the IR filter you will need to buy for the Ex1. The R has it built in. There's 100.00 right there.
 
I'm pretty sure the EX1R has both HDMI and HD-SDI, unless someone can point to a definitive tech spec sheet that shows otherwise...
 
yes it definitely has both, i played with an ex1r last week.

very very temped to upgrade. The new hand grip is amazing.
 
I'd go with EX1R for sure (if you don't need SDI). There is one big change - IR filter. Then there are a lot of little changes which add up to a much better camera in my opinion.
 
I'm pretty sure the EX1R has both HDMI and HD-SDI, unless someone can point to a definitive tech spec sheet that shows otherwise...

Hi Barry, its been a while since I've posted here. I'm curious, would you purchase the new EX1R or an EX3?

Has anyone heard of Sony's plan to upgrade the EX3?


Also, what is the street price for an EX1 and an EX3?
 
After talking with a couple of dealers here in Canada, I believe the EX-1R's price will be the same as the current EX-1. It' s meant as a replacement to the EX-1 (like the DVX100b is to the DVX100a) not a different model (like the HPX-170 is to the HVX200).

I had a similar dilemma, with someone offering to sell me their low-hours EX-1 for $6,500. It's $8,900 new here in Canada, so it's a great deal right? Or, should I wait for the EX-1R?

I've decided to wait. Once the EX-1R comes out, the older EX-1's will drop even more in price. If you don't need the features of the EX-1R, you are better to wait till it comes out next year and then purchase the older EX-1. The price will be much lower.
 
Hi Barry, its been a while since I've posted here. I'm curious, would you purchase the new EX1R or an EX3?
I'm the wrong guy to ask, because I don't like either one of them. I can't really see why there wouldn't be an EX3R though, soon enough, so if what you really want is an EX1R but in an EX3 form factor, surely that will be coming along soon?
 
Back
Top