Canon R5c - the R5 with active cooling

ahalpert

Major Contributor
https://www.canonrumors.com/confirmed-a-canon-eos-r5c-is-going-to-be-announced-this-year-cr3/

I reported last week that an EOS R cinema camera would be coming in the future. I have now confirmed this to be true, and we should expect an announcement in late 2021 with availability in early 2022.

The camera, which we are calling the EOS R5c will be equipped with the same image sensor as the EOS R5 and will have all of the same recording options.

The big news? It will be a slightly bigger body with active cooling and it will also remain a hybrid camera for stills shooting.

The EOS R5c will also come with C-Log 2.

I wonder if it will have the same price.
 
Assuming this isn't the a1's competitor, it will most likely have the same price increase as the FX3.

FX3 added some holes and an adapter, R5c will add a fan and C-Log2.

400/500 more bucks, please.

___

We are currently in the camera twilight zone of re-purposing models.

S1 --> S5
a7SIII --> FX3
Pocket 6K --> Pro
R5 --> R5c
 
I'm sort of hoping it's really 3xpensive so I don't have buyers remorse with the a7siii. But I suppose that waiting another year and a half to get my AF gimbal camera would have been unacceptable anyway. And I could always switch back. I didn't sell my EF lenses. The R5 has nicer color, detail/texture, and ibis than the a7siii IMHO. I haven't bought an fx6 yet so the door is still open to go the c300mk3 or c70 route for future A cam. Or maybe the R5c can be an A cam if it's featured right

...I think I'd prefer the fx6 over the c70 or c300mk3, however, for a price/performance/design equation. And that eND...
 
Last edited:
So, they'll add a two dollar fan and a five dollar camera body upgrade ... then charge a grand more for it. Yup, it'll be another Top Seller.

PS. Poisonailee, I think R5 image quality in an downsampled 4K-off-8K is cat's meow. Just don't place the camera next to your marshmallows.
 
So supposedly this camera will have unlimited 8k raw with a full frame sensor and at about $1500 less the the C70? If this is true what are we to expect from the C90 and C200II?
 
"The big news? It will be a slightly bigger body with active cooling and it will also remain a hybrid camera for stills shooting."

But... but... I thought the overheating problem was just EOSHD whining...?
 
I am curious if the Clog3 FW update for the R5 is still on the table?

My guess: no NDs to protect the C70.
 
I am wondering about the R5/R6 firmware myself. If there is any chance to squeeze another product out Canon usually takes that route. They have already pushed it and now this. The cripple hammer is always waiting in the wings... I am interested in an R6 but only with the extra stop C-LOG3 would supposedly bring. The R5/R6 are really 8bit cameras outside of the LOG profiles, which are a little limited for DR. This is an area that can use some improvement on the video side. Gosh, I have waited this long...
 
Back
Top