Before/After Comparison....

triplej96

Veteran
Heres a engagement photo I took as you can see I didn't like the blown out sky and I didn't like the pose of one of the photos so I attempted to combine them add a sky and give it a stylized look. I did this back in June when I was pretty new to Photoshop manipulation.


before
orginengage.jpg


before
orginengagekim.jpg


After
coolposelayers.jpg


what do you guys think?
 
Looking really good! great work :)

One thing to criticize though. You lost most of the details in the blacks due to the high contrast.
 
No doubt about that. Now you mention that I have a another photo of it with detail intact the one I sent them!

I most go find it!

thank you Simon!
Josh
 
Last edited:
Not bad for a PS newbee, not bad at all.

But are you sure this is a engagement photo?
With those arms crossed, not looking to each other
they look like they get divorced the next day.

Frank
 
thanks Frank I'm not so much a newbie any more at least I don't think so :) most of my AE skills are transferring over to PS quite nicely.

I had others photos that were more typical of engagement photos but I wanted to do something different and they liked it a lot. They said "we've never seen a engagement photo like that, we love it."

So a divorce not yet :)

thanks for taking a look

Josh
 
As long as they like it, it´s fine :)

There is a german saying:

The worm has to meet the fishes taste, not the fishermans, :beer:

Frank
 
lol I like that German saying but I gave them plenty of the more typical engagements photos too so I guess maybe that helped them appreciate a more stylized one.

thanks again Frank.
 
That looks awesome, Josh. I don't like typical engagement photos. They bore the hell out of me. Good work.:beer:
 
Thank you Horse and I hear ya they told me before they want to see some different more creative photos as oppose to typical engagement photos! I still gave them some typical ones but I had fun with it.


P.S. I need to get shooting again with my Pentax been using my DVX more lately.
 
So I have taken the liberty of doing some super tweaking of my own...I hope you don't mind.
 

Attachments

  • EDIT DVX-1.jpg
    EDIT DVX-1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
Hey adam I don't mind, looks nice ;)

Hey ryan thanks for the critique and I 100% agree. Sat is strong and especially the skin tones need work but this was before I knew to look at that and/or how to fix it. The skin tones aren't to pretty!

thanks for looking

Josh
 
Hey Josh,

I know your trying really hard and people have given you well deserved kudos! Your customer is happy and it's all good!

Let me give you a few things to try next time you do one of these.

- The crossed arm thing is always hard to get away with. In body language it says "Closed" Close minded or Closed to anybody else. With both people with crossed arms kinda makes them look VERY separate when your visually trying to tie them together. In films we try and tell a story in a given length of footage. In stills your trying to tell the story in a single frame.

- Outdoors (scenic or environmental) brings more issues into play. In your case here the sky you used is a bit strong. Might be better with blue sky and loose thin white clouds or just a deep blue sky. The heavy clouds could read as "Heavy Storm" and have a negative connotation.

- By no means am I suggesting going for safe pretty pictures. I think I'm saying, yah! Go for some unconventional creative pictures..... But watch out for the visual traps.

- One easy technique is to shoot at a higher shutter speed or later time of day using electronic flash. This way you can under expose the background and sky.

frisco
 
Thanks for the tips frisco. I will post some more recent pics with new sky replacements that are much more natural.

Also, the whole posing thing it was my first time photographing someone for money and attempting to pose them lol.

thanks guys
 
Back
Top