B&H has the HV20!

AuditoryVisuals said:
Sam Kam, nice footage. But it could be better. Try not to shoot towards the sun. And put the camera on a tripod.

An example is one of the earliest clips from the XL H1 by Kaku Ito. http://www.hdvinfo.net/media/kakugyo...anning.m2t.zip

Sorry if I ask for too much but I really want to see more cinematic footage rather than just film-like.
I second that. I want to know what this camera can do under the right circumstances. The video was a little too bright and washed out for my taste but good for what it was. I understand it was a test to see how well it handles lots of motion.
For your next test, try shutter priority with 1/48 shutter and lock the exposure and then dial it down a notch or two.

By the way, does anyone know yet if it actually adjusts the aparture when using the EXP button in shutter priority mode? Or does it only adjust some kind of brightness/gain?
 
Incidentally, something I'm noticing while stepping through the clip--a complete lack of bayer pattern artifacts. There's a fair amount of vibrant color in the shot, and the HV-20's RGB filter /DIGIC processing is doing a very nice job in presenting it.

I'm impressed.
 
Good question... I shot for a bit locked @1/48 and would toggle through the exposure. I hope it is an aperture control but I cannot tell as of yet.

On a side note it went through FCP very smoothly and exported through compressor great as well.
 
Last edited:
Mark Dog said:
did you use the cinema mode on that clip in the street sam ?????????


peace n luv

Mark Dog


No man. Straight out of the box. Automatic everything. Only changed to 24p from 60i.

AuditoryVisuals - Sorry, bro. Wasn't trying to do the best test possible or be comprehensive. Just trying to squeeze in a quick test for all to see until there is time to do more.
 
Kyser said:
Hey guys, how do I get the m2t file into After Effects? It won't seem to import. I guess I have to convert it to something first?

Mike

Use MPEG Streamclip or QT Pro Player and convert to a more edit-friendly intra-frame codec. (non-mpeg2 or mpeg4)

I would convert to PhotoJPEG QT 1920x1080 29.97 @ 75% quality. You should be able to bring it into AE with no problems.
 
SamKam said:
Just trying to squeeze in a quick test for all to see until there is time to do more.

We appreciate the raw clip, SamKam! I know how much of a hassle these "little tests" c an be. Again, thanks for going to the trouble. It's a good clip to work with.
 
Boomerang said:
Good question... I shot for a bit locked @1/48 and would toggle through the exposure. I hope it is an aperture control but I cannot tell as of yet.
Zoom in on something and keep the background out of focus and see if the background gets sharper when you dial it down or more blurry when you dial it up. If it does, that probably means the EXP button controls the aparture. Another way to test this is to use the EXP button to control the shutter while in aparture priority. If the motion changes when you dial it up and down then it adjusts the shutter.

By the way, does anyone have a problem with auto focus when zooming in and out? Seems like people are experiencing an extremely hunting auto focus while zooming. If this is a problem with all HV20s then I really hope Canon can fix it.
 
Elton said:
We appreciate the raw clip, SamKam! I know how much of a hassle these "little tests" c an be. Again, thanks for going to the trouble. It's a good clip to work with.

Thanks for the kind words, Elton. And thanks again for your assistance in getting the m2t clip up for all the "never satisfied" ones to see. Will try to do more tests in the coming days.
 
i am satisfied and appreciate the time you have taken sam you the man , thanx for sharing your footage and the time taken to give it to us bro

peace n luv

Mark Dog
 
Elton said:
Use MPEG Streamclip or QT Pro Player and convert to a more edit-friendly intra-frame codec. (non-mpeg2 or mpeg4)

I would convert to PhotoJPEG QT 1920x1080 29.97 @ 75% quality. You should be able to bring it into AE with no problems.

Thanks! I used MPEG Streamclip, hit "convert to mpeg" and it worked like a charm. Very fast, and it knocked it down to 65 MB. Still looks great!

Cheers,

Mike
 
Elton said:
Incidentally, something I'm noticing while stepping through the clip--a complete lack of bayer pattern artifacts.

Which suprises me, but on another point reinstalls my confidence in the cmos technology.
 
Elton said:
Incidentally, something I'm noticing while stepping through the clip--a complete lack of bayer pattern artifacts.

Elton - what are "bayer pattern artifacts"?
 
They're moire patterns that emerge when you look at fine lines or mesh patterns. I think it's because different photosites are sensitive to different colours and it can create colourful curves in you picture.

I think they have more info at Wikipedia.
 
I went on B&H last night & ordered my HV20, along w/ a Hoya 43mm polarized filter! :)

I use Panasonic DVC MiniDV tapes for my DVX100b, can I use those for the HV20 in HD mode? Or do I have to buy some of those fancy HD tapes to use w/ this camera? If so can anyone recommend some good tapes?
 
bustak said:
I use Panasonic DVC MiniDV tapes for my DVX100b, can I use those for the HV20 in HD mode?
Yes you can use any miniDV tape, but obviously the better quality of tape you use, the more resistant your footage should be to dropouts.
 
Capture process?

Capture process?

SamKam said:
Thanks for your post - maybe I've missed it in this thread, but I'm trying to determine how you've captured this - I have the HV-20 and Final Cut Pro on a quad core Intel box - The closest I've come it connecting the camera via firewire and capturing into FCP using the HDV/Apple Intermediate Codec capture preset. Understandably, the file is 1440 x 1080

Your post "raw" file has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 - was this res'd up, or capture with Intensity? Different settings/software?

Tanks for your help...
 
Back
Top