Amused to Death

ChuckS

Veteran
This started out showing the decay of airplanes rotting around the local airport. Planes that had been abandoned by people who maybe didn't realize the level of commitment it took to be a pilot. Hence the title Amuse to Death.

Unfortunately I got impatient and didn't carry the theme throughout.

 
did you post this somewhere else earlier? nice use of movement by the way. what (if any) slider were you using? nice shots.
 
Thanks, I'm working on something similar with cars and there will be considerably more camera movement.
 
Beautiful- I love imagery like this- nice work ChuckS!

How do you like the indislider?- I'm looking into the glidetrack- but the indi- is much more in my budget. Is it sturdy? smooth? how does it hold up mounted on a tripod? is there any wobble?

Thanks
Z
 
Chucks, that was beautiful.

You have a fantastic eye for the camera. Great shots, exposure was where i liked it, movement was nice, the video really had a nice story.
I too am curious about the Indislider? How is the solidity? Wobble, etc... Care to give us a bit of an in depth review?
 
Thanks guys.

Ever since I started exploring the 7D I have been looking for "less expensive" alternatives to accessories. Often how well they work depends on where your coming from. I like the indiSLIDER and you can get some really interesting shots with it.

I have the indiSLIDER Mini Deluxe with the quick release camera mount. It takes a little work to get proficient at it. The quick release mount is about five inches tall, add to that there's the slightest bit of play in the base plate which can stick while sliding.

Its easy to figure out how to prevent it, instead of pushing on the camera push on the base. You can also tighten the base more but then it gets harder to move. This is also one of those products that screams out for a do it yourself. But at $169 its a good value, I'm not sure how much less I could build something that works this well.

I use it almost exclusively on my tripod, so if you combine the movement of the tripod with the slider you can get some cool movement. However, if you plan on using it the same way you wouldn't really need the quick release handle, so it would only cost $99.

Its funny, you can get a really expensive shoulder support and if it works effectively the viewer doesn't even know you used a support at all [they don't directly see the result] or you can spend a little over $100 and often get a lot of bang for the buck that the viewer gets a direct benefit. If you know what I mean.

This thing is light, portable and easy to use, so I use the slider on just about every shoot. I don't always use everything I shot but its nice to have alternative shots with movement.

I hope this helps.
 
Every time I watch this I like it more and more. There is so much texture in these images. I love the dolly movements and I thought the music (at least the first part of it) made it seem like Crockett and Tubbs were going to show up (Lol). In other words...it had the feel of a scene out of a movie.
 
Nice work. I love camera movement, but I love that Roger Waters song even more. If I ever had to be marooned on a desert island with one CD, Amused to Death would be right up there. When I first listened to that album years ago, I thought it was rubbish. Now I think it's genius.
 
Back
Top