Año Perdido - Lost Year - A film made in Argentina

I'm glad to see this film getting some love. I pick up little nuances with each viewing.


this film deserves a lot of love, it's amazing. it feels like a ..... film.

i love the audio. i can hear every slice of onion and pour of drink. the shooter was so well played too. so was his father. each fest i have saved a few movies for keepsake, this will be one of those movies.
 
Very cool film. Nicely done! I've actually heard quite a bit about the subject, interesting to see a film about it.

Good acting, framing, everything.

Great film overall. Good luck in the Fest!

MAH
 
I really enjoyed your film. Some say it was slow but I disagree, I was completely engrossed by the performances. In fact, even if this film had been shot with a handicam, it would have been powerful because of the people. I immediately felt like I was sitting at the table with them.

Some things that didn't work for me were:

1. The "cue cards" telling us what part of the dinner was being enjoyed. I didn't feel like this was necessary and it broke the rhythm for me.
2. The incident itself happened so quickly that I was a little confused at first and I think the film would have been a lot more powerful if you had shown the effect this incident had on all the players. I realize that's hard to do in 6 minutes but it felt like the film was going nicely and then got chopped off at the end.

Really nice work overall. You film felt very mature to me and that kind of acting is very hard to come by.
 
one of my favorites for sure. terrific acting, great story, and very well shot. the juxtaposition of the two families added a feeling of suspense. you could just tell that something was going to happen. excellent work here!



JamieJey and Lawsuit Boy, thanks to the both of you for the comments.

Monica
 
Lawsuit_Boy,

Thank you very much for your opinions, comments and dedication to Lost Year.
We see eye-to-eye in many aspects, such as in the usage of black and white and subtitles but not in the dubbing, considering that if this were dubbed (translated), it would lose sense (its euphemisms are very tradition-like.
It is utterly important for us to know about what is felt from those who have seen the film in other areas or countries because it enhances the feelings we can receive as socially devoted directors, with universal topic of the film so as to apply a fitting narrative and technical esthetic.
We are very happy for being able to participate in this festival, being in contact people from all over the US who love to film and match films in the devoted way as you do.

A True Regard
Mónica y Federico
 
This was an interesting little film. I really enjoyed the structure of it and I though the acting was remarkably realistic. My main problem was that at the end it felt more like a public service announcement than a film to me. I think that without the informational text at the end, and with the addition of a sound effect to drive home the bullet striking the guy, it would have been much more powerful.

Still a great little film - excellent work.


Will Clegg

Thanks for the point of view regarding the end. It will be considered.

Mónica
 
Great film! I loved the texture of the imagery and your composition of frames. The acting was excellent and communicated the story beats without a lot of dialog. The editing also really shined for me. I think the way the film was cut together was very polished and professional.

Nice job!



As Fede said, we had very little time for the final editing, and it was truly a good teamwork job from the script to the montage. It was a challenge to film a realistic fiction and keeping at a personal esthetic neutral position and devoting ourselves to the aesthitics of the story.

Regards and Thanks¡
Mónica
 
Really enjoyed this. Had a nice "Babel" quality to it.

Having spent 5 New Years in Mexico, this hit close to home, no pun intended. Between midnight and ten after, we lay on the floor, below the cinder block, and wait for the gun fire to stop, cops included.

Then, the next day my English students who work in the hospital tell me all about the 'what goes up, must come down' tragedies.

And the revelers never learn!


Very nice contrast of families. Well done!

Alex


Hello Alex,

We are at a great distance from North to South but we consider that these topics are nowadays universal, and others generate tragedies due to mere unaware actions.

Thanks
Mónica
 
Fede,

I also watched this film and was impressed by it! As others have said it felt very real/natural. The setting, the acting, everything!

I had not read the synopsis before watching it so I was also slightly confused at times about the two different families but halfway through the film I had figured it out.

The only critique I would have has already been mentioned...a longer cut between the bullet being fired and it hitting the guy. Also, a little sound design of the bullet coming in and hitting (subtle) could help sell what happened.

But overall thought you did a great job! And the black and white looked fantastic (a hard thing to pull off!

Daniel


Daniel, thank you for your feedback on sensations and for highlighting the possibility of improving the bullet impact which as you can imagine has been more than difficult to resolve in our montage/editing so as to keep the story natural and likely.

Regards

Fede
 
acting was awesome... so much so that I felt like I was watching a family eat dinner... This film was slow though. Way slow it was hard to watch through for me. It also kinda seemed more like a public service announcement commercial than some kind of thematic message. Kinda like "only you can prevent forest fires" or something.

EDIT:
Oh and almost forgot why the HECK did you put it in black and white? I see absolutely no artistic benefit in terms of telling your story? B&W hides alot of mistakes/imperfections in the color and all together adds contrast, and sometimes makes people feel like their being more artsy... I hope that wasn't the reason you changed your film to B&W.

Sorry I crit harsh somtimes. It really was a good attempt. You nailed some of the technical stuff. Audio sounded pretty good to me. and obviously acting was spot on.



I comprehend your sensations in regards to the message. We didn’t base the idea on an advertisement but instead we focused on telling a story as a content of consciousness.

As for the opinion, it is more than welcome. Although black and white can be used in an “artistic” feeling, in this case it was a choice we were well aware of…directors and editors. It is more related to showing the story with seriousness, a simple esthetic touch like an episode of a diary as said in one of the next comments.

Regards
Mónica
 
this film deserves a lot of love, it's amazing. it feels like a ..... film.

I really enjoyed your film. Some say it was slow but I disagree, I was completely engrossed by the performances. In fact, even if this film had been shot with a handicam, it would have been powerful because of the people. I immediately felt like I was sitting at the table with them.

This movie really did feel like a film, a lot more than others I've seen so far. And the acting performances were outstanding in my opinion.

I agree the bullet impact is a little quick, but this is one of my fest fav's. Very well done!
 
Lawsuit_Boy,

Thank you very much for your opinions, comments and dedication to Lost Year.
We see eye-to-eye in many aspects, such as in the usage of black and white and subtitles but not in the dubbing, considering that if this were dubbed (translated), it would lose sense (its euphemisms are very tradition-like.
It is utterly important for us to know about what is felt from those who have seen the film in other areas or countries because it enhances the feelings we can receive as socially devoted directors, with universal topic of the film so as to apply a fitting narrative and technical esthetic.
We are very happy for being able to participate in this festival, being in contact people from all over the US who love to film and match films in the devoted way as you do.

A True Regard
Mónica y Federico

I was genuinely touched by your film and I'm very pleased that my opinions helped. I think that a social awareness is absolutely important for everyone to acknowledge, and if everyone can eventually open themselves up to the norms and values of other cultures, the world will become one step closer to vanquishing divides between nations, and especially between people.

Your film is certainly one of the stepping stones and you should always be proud of the work you're giving to people internationally. There will always be at least one person to appreciate it, and hopefully there will be more than that (and there certainly has been in Lossfest). I'm also, once again, so glad that you did not attempt to dub the actors' voices and left the subtitles. I've seen it happen and it's a tragic loss when a performer is dubbed. Half of their performance is tossed out the window if they are dubbed. Besides, I enjoy Spanish. :)

All the best,
Jon
 
Last edited:
The acting in this piece was so natural and well done, it almost felt voyeuristic. I wasn't sure what it was going but it had an unexpected ending. Some nice shot compositions here but a little overuse on the rack focus. Other than that, it was a great film which I enjoyed thoroughly.
 
First thing was how well the audio was done, not a fan of the black and white because I think it takes away from the film (is this a flashback, confusing)

When the man dies at the end I had to watch it again, because i though that the neighbor shot him, but he was actually hit from the bullet in the air. The edit was to fast which made it confusing for me; and if he was hit in the head he would have died instantly (just saying).

Overall I give it a good rating.
 
It's LATE, but I made a commitment to watch, rate, and comment on all the films before nights end. At this point, I've only got time to watch & rate, so I'm simply letting you know I've done so for yours.

If you'd like a specific review of your film, please just PM me to catch my attention, and I'd be glad to come back here & post a review. :)
 
Really nice to see you made the finals. Very well deserved. I had you in my top 10.
 
Last edited:
very pleased to see you in the top ten, man. you're a personal fav of mine and i genuinely hope you do well.
 
Back
Top