37 Second Domestic Violence short - shot on the HV20

GlimmerGhost

Well-known member
I'm hoping to get it featured on youtube even though it is highly unlikely. I'm not begging for any sort of fake comments or false ratings, I'll let everyone check it out and see if it has any worth. But here's some info I posted on Youtube just so you know what It's about and what i's meant to do (the link is at the bottom):

Suicide by Domestic Violence is a reality, this is not a promotion of it but an alert to it's reality that it does exist and women suffer from it every day. Cringing away from this film is like brushing that fact under a carpet.
---------------------------------------- -----------
Note: Shot and edited it in about an hour,
the video is not meant to make anyone angry, disturb or scare anyone, I wanted to tell a story in the least amount of time using simple images that would grab your attention like a big budget movie without using guns or a bank robbery or space aliens or anything that looks cheesy without alot of money. I know alot of content on youtube is funny and quirky, but once in awhile a little simple shocking truth doesn't hurt to bring people back to earth.

What i wrote the editors:
I'd like this film considered to be featured, it's a little shocking but so is alot of the stuff on the internet. For censorship we watch television but for cold hard reality we come to Youtube. Most of the time we want to see funny and quirkyy and cute, but sometimes things like my video are needed to wake people up from all of that.
Please consider my petition for this film to be featured, i think it could make some changes in awareness for the youth as well, and maybe even help some organizations get their message out.
thank you for your patience and time.

you can watch the video here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-yrNkkEPq7A

please let me know what you guys think, sincerely
Jim Figueroa
 
good work glimmer can you post the high res video to dl glimm and what were you settings on the HV20 did you shott in 24p or 60 iand if 24p did yo uuse the cinemode , what was your shutter set to and wa you on tv mode gives the whole deal dont spare a bread grumb lol :)

peace n luv

Mark Dog
 
With all do respect for the message of the film, I can honestly say that I'm not too fond of it. First off, I would delete all of the disclaimers about how shocking it may be. I was expecting something on the level of Irreversible. When the VO began I thought you were joking, as if the disclaimer were a setup for a spoof of some sort. The VO doesn't sound professional and really degrades the over quality of the film. Not to mention that I would like to see you try and show us rather than tell us. If you are going to have VO, it may be better if it were the woman's voice.

One thing to remember about being 'shocking' - generally it's shocking imagery that get us, not shocking subject matter. I think society is a little desensitized by abuse and murder/suicide. We see these in movies all the time. So, in order to create the shock factor, it requires vivid imagery. If you were tackling child molestation, on the other hand, you probably wouldn't need imagery because we're not as desensitized about that subject. The Woodsman is a successful example of that.

A filmmaker that sets his audience up for great moments like what I think you were going for is Michael Haneke, specifically in The Piano Teacher. You should check out his work, if you're not familiar with it.
 
Thanks Mark, I shot in 24p in prio shutter at 48, i dont have anywhere to upload the highres stuff yet, but as soon as I do i'll post it.
thanks again for the compliment!
 
I gotta agree completely with IBEJohnson. The whole thing just seemed cheesy. You have a good idea, you just need to expand on it and work on it a bit more. The first thing you need to do is redo that voice over, like IBE said. The whole thing just seemed very thrown together to me.

can you host the hi res version? put it on www.filefront.com, super fast and easy.
 
IBE I appreciate your advice, I know your giving them to me as a helpful guide, and I will take them to heart sincerely.
I'm gonna wait a little to remove those disclaimers, I know what your saying about not mentioning "Shocking" unless it truly is, but we are talking about a YouTube audience. to them LisaNova taking out a plastic gun for a skit was too much to handle and if you know youtube you know that everyone will have an opinion (usually negative) about the clip. I give out all the explanations in hopes to relieve some of the negativity. Anyway, all in all, I agree with you, not a very professional short, but I'll keep plugging away until I have better equipment to make something more high quality. Again, thanks for you words of wisdom.
 
The whole thing just seemed very thrown together to me.

You know whats really funny, I did throw it together in about 45 minutes to an hour, lol. I made it at first for "On the Lot" second week chalenge which i found out about like 2 hours before the deadline. So there wasnt any script or anything, and my iMac's mic was what I used for voiceover, which i'm usually not too bad at but I was in a real hurry to get it done:violin:. I guess the rushing comes across more than i thought, this is the second thing I've ever made, so to me it looked pretty good (especially at 3am :violent5:) but anyway, I appreciate your words of guidance guys, keep em coming:Drogar-Happy(DBG):
 
I'll keep plugging away until I have better equipment to make something more high quality. Again, thanks for you words of wisdom.

Better equipment won't make the story, subject matter, and to a degree the production value any higher. That's something it took me a long time to learn. The problem with this is not that it is on youtube or the equipment. It has drama and conflict, but it doesn't tell a story. Work on your storytelling skills, try to keep us on the edge of our seat. Before you write a script, come up with a story and tell it verbally to friends or family. If they are holding on to your every word, you have something special. That's the litmus test. You had some nice compositions though. You try playing with lighting a bit.
 
Hey kyle, thanks I appreciate your words. I will say this in my defense: there was no script, the dialouge was improved, the shooting was done in 30 minutes and I had about 2 hours to come with a story, shoot it, edit it and upload it to "on the Lot" before the deadline was over.... this really is a bad excuse though, and I shouldnt defend myself because the truth is your right, there was no storytelling, I just said "hey lets shoot this and this and I'll put it together and Bam! we have what they wanted" the contest was to tell a story of "the first time" whatever the first time was.

Going off course for a second it would be kind of fun to hold a 30 second film film competition and see what kind of story can be told in that amount of time, I'd def. like to see it for learning purposes if nothing else.
 
I've got an idea. I might try it out and see. High drama????

Your asking? lol, sure high drama as long as it's around 30 seconds long i gues it dosnt matter, I just want to see what kind of a story can be told in that amount of time. they game me up to 3 minutes on "the Lot" so i'm not using any excuses for my film, but seeing you guys pull something off in 30 seconds would be an awesome excercise I think and an awesome tool to teach people like me about quick visual storytelling.

Oh and here's the link to my Mac. uploaded version

http://web.mac.com/revotube/iWeb/GlimmerGhost/Movie.html

I deleted the Youtube one because in all honesty, I wasnt very happy with it, I know I can do better and at least you guys are trying to help me, Youtube critics woulda called me a "Turd loving FilmFu@! Spielberg wannabee that needs to grow up and stop being a Hitler lover"... i'm serious those are the kind of constructive comment people get on that site.
 
Cool. I thought of trying again tonight too for the kicks but thats what got me in trouble in the first place, so i better get my mind right and shoot something worth while and organized.
 
I had a Knights of Columbus meeting last night that I forgot about. I'll work on the story today and shoot it tonight if nothing comes up.
 
Found something

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=636246256

, 35 seconds long and tells some kind of story... how the hell do you do that though? I mean it's 35 seconds long and you feel satisfied after watching it, my clip failed to do that and I'm kinda freakin out , I could never do that... damn.

I also saw Marty Martin's Big Heist clip, and I know it's a trailer but it makes me feel like i know the whole story somehow. Mine just gets stuck, you guys got any helpful pointers?
 
Back
Top