$17,500

Although it's true, we're looking at more than 30000 for shooting 4K, We could shoot 2K with a much cheaper package, not to mention, 1080p. 2K on a S16 lens should be plenty for short commercials, and 1080P should be optimum for TV broadcast. For 25K I'm sure we could put a great package. Nobody is going to need to shoot 4K unless they're going to the big screen. So this might get cheaper than it seems.
 
taubkin said:
Although it's true, we're looking at more than 30000 for shooting 4K, We could shoot 2K with a much cheaper package, not to mention, 1080p. 2K on a S16 lens should be plenty for short commercials, and 1080P should be optimum for TV broadcast. For 25K I'm sure we could put a great package. Nobody is going to need to shoot 4K unless they're going to the big screen. So this might get cheaper than it seems.

You're looking at 30,000+ for 1080p, dude. Do you know how much space is needed to store uncompressed 2k? What kind of system you'll need to process it?

This price point is definitely a deal breaker for people with this kind of money (Ash G) when it comes to purchasing Varicams and such...

But for the rest of us, the current line of HD/HDV cameras are our shot at a clean image until rental price comes down (or your boss buys a RED ONE.).

I'm in no way knocking this camera. It's pretty tight, and if I ever get funding for a feature and this camera is around, I'll probably be pitching it to my producer (or refusing to go forth with the project unless I can have it. *whine*). But, for now... From the DVX100 + Mini35 and up, there's plenty of yummy image you can still get.
 
Well, sorry. I wasn't thinking about feature films. I said 2K commercials and 1080p tv / video. I would never considering putting up a feature for less than 100.000 dollars, and even so, that would be an incredibly low budget.

I am talking about using the RED to make money. The only reason I can think of, to own a 20K+ piece of equipment.

Cheers!
 
I'm impressed by the camera, but I'm a bit disappointed that this camera was billed as being geared towards us. In terms of functionality, yes, most certainly. But that price is a helluva thing to get over.

I guess I'll just have to wait for true HD to come to the HVX -- and have it support PCs.
 
Still out of my price range. I was wanting it to be the price of the HVX. But I can remember when the HVX would of been out of my price range. So maybe eventually I can own the RED camera. Really like the design and specs.
 
The world is changing, for sure. And it won't be all about Red. Just imagine the sexy toys that will be on offer in 2 years, for what a HVX costs today.
 
I will be using my Red as an ENG camera--for documentaries----at 7lbs without lense or battery it looks like a winner---I just hope its ergonimically well designed, although I know that Oakley is very good at that sort of thing.
 
considering all options at this point, it is a pretty darn cheap camera. nothing's set in stone yet though.
 
Wow. It really, really, really, really, really, really sucks that I couldn't go to NAB this year. I am a peon.
 
Slimothy said:
Wow. It really, really, really, really, really, really sucks that I couldn't go to NAB this year. I am a peon.
Damn, Tim, you're what, two and half hours from Vegas? It's got to be an hour closer than Rancho Cucamonga.
 
Hahahahahahaha, this is too good to be true. Yet, it is.

Unimaginable spec + lowest possible price = brain does not compute.

This camera is going to last for AT LEAST a decade because it can already output far beyond TRUE SHARP 1080P. None of this fake blurry "1080P".

I am SO pleased that this camera has a small form factor. Bring on the future baby.

Ok, I'll shutup because I could easily keep going on...
 
Martin Hill said:
This camera is going to last for AT LEAST a decade ...

or more.. remember they are doing their best to make the sensor swappable. The Red camera is being designed much like a precision race car.. you can swap out the parts and upgrade, even the engine.
 
Jarred Land said:
or more.. remember they are doing their best to make the sensor swappable. The Red camera is being designed much like a precision race car.. you can swap out the parts and upgrade, even the engine.

That's why I think saving up for the RED and skipping the HVX would be the right move for me. it really is an all-purpose camera, so it will cover all my needs, even the ones I can't think about right now and the ones the package I get might not support I can get to with add-ons or replacing parts for a fraction of the price.

one thing for sure, I'm not moving to HD until I see what the results of this are (if the RED would really be released, and how other manufacturers will react to it, I'm sure Sony will ignore it, as they did with the DVX and HVX)
 
Last edited:
well I'm going the opposite way. I bought the HVX to make the cash for the Red camera or something else next year. I'll have the HVX paid off by the beginning of June at the latest. That's only 3 months! Jarred did it in a month, but he's an uber-studd and the man we all aim to emulate. I don't understand why anyone would want to wait.... Buy the camera, put it to work and make up the money on the Red. So for me... I'll have 7 months or more of gigs where I get to save everything. That should be from 10-15k of savings.... Can you say... .SWEET!
 
Back
Top