GH1 firmware research volunteers required

I use a Panasonic SD-HC Class 4 card. It works perfectly with 55Mbps, maybe higher

Sirk, Was this your settings?

[ Low light test MJPEG vs AVCHD
MJPEG:
Quality settings (E1 to E4) - 352, 220, 200, 184
Table settings (E1 to E4) - 24, 24, 24, 24

with this settings top bitrate is up to 55Mbps. ]

The settings I'm using are topping at 106bps. Way to much for even the sandisk. I would like it to top at 70mbs

Last edited:
"You guys all rock, thanks for the most useful DSLR-related thread in all of internet history!"

Absolutely!! This is INCREDIBLE!!

how awesome will it be if we can get 24p out of the 720p. or better yet 1080. What were your 70mbit settings?

24 would be sweeeeet.....

I'm using NURBS settings of:

[ Quality settings (E1 to E4) - 720, 512, 428, 400

However it's topping at 106 if there is a lot of detail in the shot. This even stops my Sandisk Extreme 10 card.

GH1 Write Performance

GH1 Write Performance

Pardon if I missed this in a post somewhere, but do we know exactly how the GH1 writes to the card.. that is is it in certain sized (KB/MB) bursts from a buffer or anything? Can we say for sure what's lower, the cameras -continuous- write limit or the best Class 10 cards?

Here's some SanDisk benchmarks for anyone whose interested http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1172/2/.

Pardon if I missed this in a post somewhere, but do we know exactly how the GH1 writes to the card.. that is is it in certain sized (KB/MB) bursts from a buffer or anything? Can we say for sure what's lower, the cameras -continuous- write limit or the best Class 10 cards?

Of course Sandisk must have more potential than camera.
Camera top limit is from 72Mbit to 110Mbit according to all tests.
One of the goals for latest patches was to approximetely find this limit.

Hello!

I´ve been reading along now since something like 60 pages or so... and I think it is very much time to point something out:

This very thread (already, even though tester13 has obviously much more in mind) is one of the reasons why forums and communties do and should exist: Few people of same interests get together and find a way to get something impossible done. Even if it means to collect some money to buy a piece of hardware and deliver it to the one guy who can help them out! It´s insane and incredible and it could only work out (which it already has) because there are people here spending time and effort and have been doing so since long before I knew what a hvx200 (my beginnings) or dvx or whatever was!

I used to present a TV show in Germany where this whole community thing was a first-timer and we succeeded in quite a few ways, but this here is really new. For me and everyone involved that I know.

Thank you tester13! I´d guess that yes, you most likely could have antecipiated this kind of feedback but (at least for me) the thought of getting people to buy a cam for you, which I think wasn´t even your idea in the first place, came kind of unexpected? It´s just awesome!

I bought my GH1 pretty much right about when it became available for the first time in Germany. I remember the guy on the phone of the WEX-camera store saying "yes, we have 2 in stock" a year ago. then it was said that despite everything the GH1 coped better with rolling shutter issues than Canon´s and that´s when I went for it. Well, today I´m just starting to think that I am able to use it properly and what do I have to read: "yeah, 1080p mjpeg seems not so impossible..." :)
Come on... :)

Right from indiecam-heaven...

Patrick

My test for this settings:

Quality settings (E1 to E4) - 720, 512, 428, 400
Little test with the NURBS settings:
(Long focus and camera fast motion)
http://rapidshare.com/files/394703133/P1140391.MOV.html
Duration : 5 s 500 ms.
Bit rate : 106 Mbit/sec
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 3.817
Stream size : 69,2 Mb (100%)

Camera stops (not freezing) in 5-10 sec. (card - SanDisc Extreme III 30Mb/s 32Gb)

AVCHD shot like this:
(patches not enabled, pal>ntsc conversion only)
http://rapidshare.com/files/394708076/00000.MTS.html
File size : 26,6 МиБ
Duration : 14 с.
Overall bit rate : 15,4 Mbit/sec
Maximum Overall bit rate : 18,0 Mbit/sec

Sirk, Was this your settings?

[ Low light test MJPEG vs AVCHD
MJPEG:
Quality settings (E1 to E4) - 352, 220, 200, 184

with this settings top bitrate is up to 55Mbps. ]

The settings I'm using are topping at 106bps. Way to much for even the sandisk. I would like it to top at 70mbs

Yes, those are my settings. I won't want to go up to 106 unless the 2GB limit is removed. Your files would be limited to 2 minutes or something less.
I maybe will also settle to 70Mbps, but for now 55MBps looks sooo sweet.

I guess we are collecting many settings with many different detail levels. Maybe we could implement something like a user interface to chose the Quality tables.

I mean, tester13, maybe, you could add a patch to remove those MJPEG Low quality modes in XVGA or whatever they are. At least for me, they are kinda useless. Instead we could put some rock ass HD Modes in them.

Hey Guys'

If you turn on MJPEG 30p -> 24p pach you can record for this settings. ;-) (80 Mbit, no stoping and freezing.)

Interesting thing -> 720p25 MJPEG mode is posible? (no drob frame).

Regards
NURBS

Hey Guys'

If you turn on MJPEG 30p -> 24p pach you can record for this settings. ;-) (80 Mbit, no stoping and freezing.)

Regards
NURBS

The 24P patch- Doesn't that have some duplicate frame issue? Or can this duplicate frame be removed with compressor etc.

Also, has anyone come up with a 70mbit top bitrate 30P?

Michael Pappas
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
Anamorphic GH1 Frames
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=2006938&postcount=1956

Last edited:

I don't know.
As I already said we can tune encoder settings, but I am still not sure how buffer things work etc.
Plus we have sensor settings.
Currently I don't know how sensor seting is set from MJPEG settings.
This is due to GH1 firmware implementetion, as they love to use codes, translate one codes to other, copy structures or pointers to structures, etc.

Yes, those are my settings. I won't want to go up to 106 unless the 2GB limit is removed. Your files would be limited to 2 minutes or something less.
I maybe will also settle to 70Mbps, but for now 55MBps looks sooo sweet.

I guess we are collecting many settings with many different detail levels. Maybe we could implement something like a user interface to chose the Quality tables.

I mean, tester13, maybe, you could add a patch to remove those MJPEG Low quality modes in XVGA or whatever they are. At least for me, they are kinda useless. Instead we could put some rock ass HD Modes in them.

The sandisks cant' do 106 without getting the data rate card error/stop recording. That's what I have been experiencing. We need cards that are a solid 15MB sustained write data with a headroom above that to insure 100+ mbit. Class 10 Extremes seem to be the most reliable if the data rate doesn't exceed 70mbit or 10MB. The cards are the limiting factor.

I need to try your 55MBit code. If there is a code that tops out at 70, that would be nice too!

I can't help think how the Zacuto test for the GH1 would have been much different with this superior codec performance were getting been available months ago. The GH1 is getting better; how amazing is that.

It's not even close when comparing the mjpeg to the avchd. Mjpeg is wiping the floor with the avchd.

NURBS, do you have a 25P mjpeg with movement so we can look for dropped frames. 25P is so close. :)

It's not even close when comparing the mjpeg to the avchd. Mjpeg is wiping the floor with the avchd.

Generally even intraframe AVCHD will outperform MJPEG.

NURBS, do you have a 25P mjpeg with movement so we can look for dropped frames. 25P is so close. :)

No, he don't have it.
May be 1280p24 (and p25) will be possible, but may be not.
As we have sensor setup for both 1920 modes.
Plus we have scaler (as I don't see any 848 and lower modes).
But many things seems to be hardcoded to 848 and 1280, so it can be just waste of time.

Can 2G size limit for MPEG be removed? I think someone asked this before but no answer yet.

Tester13, I think I read some pages ago that you were wanting to translate some japanese in firmware. I can ask my Japanese coworker to see if she could help. (* She is not a technical person, so her translation may not be in technical terms either) Would this help?

Can 2G size limit for MPEG be removed? I think someone asked this before but no answer yet.

No, if you mean firmware hack, and quite easy by normal firmware modification.
This limit is not MJPEG related it is FAT file system related.
Due to weird licensing issues flash cards still use FAT system instead of normal ones.

Tester13, I think I read some pages ago that you were wanting to translate some japanese in firmware. I can ask my Japanese coworker to see if she could help. (* She is not a technical person, so her translation may not be in technical terms either) Would this help?

Better ask her to look for Panasonic contacts and make few calls.
As we really need some contacts, and under this I do not mean sales and marketing.

Due to weird licensing issues flash cards still use FAT system instead of normal ones.

Tester13, do you by any chance know if GH1 will accept NTFS formatted SDHC card?

Well, I just tried it with no luck. GH1 displays card error and ask if I like to format it.

Last edited:
There's alot of constant rebranding going on it, for instance their SanDisk VideoHD cards used to be branded Class 6 then they dropped it to Class 4. In fact many websites still have the picture of the old packaging, such as Newegg here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171384&cm_re=VideoHD-_-20-171-384-_-Product

... but you'll get the Class4 marked cards in the mail.

wow, i bought this card in-store at Radio Shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3156591 6 months ago, labeled as a class 6 for $24.99. why is it now labeled as Class 4 for $54.99? that's a rip!

sorry...that was completely off topic.

Last edited:
Back