GH1 firmware research volunteers required

Why is the FAT file system an issue with MJPEG and not AVCHD videos?

I thought the GH1 could record long videos and would create multiple 2GB files to achieve this. So for example, using a 16GB card you can shoot a continuous 2-hour video with no gaps or frames missing between each 2GB file it creates.

Randy

It's not even close when comparing the mjpeg to the avchd. Mjpeg is wiping the floor with the avchd.

NURBS, do you have a 25P mjpeg with movement so we can look for dropped frames. 25P is so close. :)

Issac, did you post some time ago that you processed the Mjpeg file in a higher bit file format in AE etc, and got much more image data out of it; Or is that my imagination?

Why is the FAT file system an issue with MJPEG and not AVCHD videos?

Try to read you GH1 manual.
MJPEG always had 2GB limit (and this is same of every camera).
2GB simit is because of file size limit on FAT formatted drives (and AVCHD also splits files).
No spanning in MOV is just because simple logic - no standard player will play such files without gaps or stops. And film makers with NLE knowledge are not primary buyers. So by introducing spanning you'll have one big problem with consumer complains and returns.
AVCHD can be played without problems by many players, including hardware ones without any gaps.

Ok, got it and thus why Canon DSLR's have a 12 minute limit on their MOV videos, correct? And if Canon/Magic Lantern couldn't come up with a solution/firmware upgrade to get beyond this limit with MOV files does it look unlikely to solve this with the GH1?

Randy

Last edited:
Little test with the NURBS settings:
(Long focus and camera fast motion)
http://rapidshare.com/files/394703133/P1140391.MOV.html
Duration : 5 s 500 ms.
Bit rate : 106 Mbit/sec
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 3.817
Stream size : 69,2 Mb (100%)

Camera stops (not freezing) in 5-10 sec. (card - SanDisc Extreme III 30Mb/s 32Gb)

AVCHD shot like this:
(patches not enabled, pal>ntsc conversion only)
http://rapidshare.com/files/394708076/00000.MTS.html
File size : 26,6 МиБ
Duration : 14 с.
Overall bit rate : 15,4 Mbit/sec
Maximum Overall bit rate : 18,0 Mbit/sec

I attached a frame grab from the MJPEG and AVCHD clip while the GH1 was panning across the grass field in each video. I'm sure you will be able to tell which is which.

Got mud?

Randy

Attachments

• MudTest_MJPEG_106Mbps.jpg
    MudTest_MJPEG_106Mbps.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MudTest_AVCHD_15.4Mbps.jpg
    MudTest_AVCHD_15.4Mbps.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 0
And if Canon/Magic Lantern couldn't come up with a solution/firmware upgrade to get beyond this limit with MOV files does this look unlikely to solve this with the GH1?

Just forget about this.
Gapless MJPEG is easy to do, but this requires firmware source.
In this case it can be done in a day or two.

In reality, as I already said, Panasonic must quickly came up with new GH1 firmware. And include special film-maker mode that allow to shoot at very high bitrates and shoot at 1920p24 and 1280p24 gapless MJPEG at any rate from 25 to 80Mbits. I don't talk about Canon-like release, no.
I talk about quick, hard, with large marketing budget.
Yes, they have upcoming new cameras, but this won't make GH1 competitive.
As casual people don't want 70Mbit MJPEG or very high bitrate AVCHD.

AFAIK FAT File size limit is 4GB - Why must the MOV clips be 2 GB sized?

And to the guy who asked for NTFS support: HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (sorry, but man....)

tester13: what do we test today?

May be our brain power? :)

As for 4Gb and 2Gb limit.
2Gb limit is remains of FAT16 system.
And as GH1 code have some parts that are very ancient, it still have 2Gb limit even for FAT32. Just for safety (as anyone can insert FAT16 card).

I attached a camera comparison chart to put the bitrates being achieved with MJPEG here into perspective.

Randy

Attachments

• Bitrate_Comparisons.jpg
    Bitrate_Comparisons.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 0
In reality, as I already said, Panasonic must quickly came up with new GH1 firmware. And include special film-maker mode that allow to shoot at very high bitrates and shoot at 1920p24 and 1280p24 gapless MJPEG at any rate from 25 to 80Mbits. I don't talk about Canon-like release, no.
I talk about quick, hard, with large marketing budget.

Hope Pana will listen us!

Yes, they have upcoming new cameras, but this won't make GH1 competitive.
As casual people don't want 70Mbit MJPEG or very high bitrate AVCHD.

Sure. That's why I fear that the GH2 will have wifi, GPS, touch screen... but no high bitrate video mode. 24mpbs AVCHD only, I guess.

About MJPEG and framerates; you told us that 24 o 25 fps seems right now a bit complicated, but what about 50fps? Could that framerate be easier to do?

Thank you for your work

I attached a camera comparison chart to put the bitrates being achieved with MJPEG here into perspective.

Never compare bitrates of different codecs or same codec from different manufacturers or even same codec from same manufacturer but with different implementations details.

Hey,

Is it possible to create new picture profile settings allowing further tweaks on them? Mainly Im interested in lowering contrast and saturation as the -2 settings seem to be not enough and maybe this would give us a little bit more latitude.

Sami

Will SDXC change this?

Will SDXC change this?

May be our brain power? :)

As for 4Gb and 2Gb limit.
2Gb limit is remains of FAT16 system.
And as GH1 code have some parts that are very ancient, it still have 2Gb limit even for FAT32. Just for safety (as anyone can insert FAT16 card).

Any plans by Pana to support SDXC, exFAT 64ZB? at 100Mb/sec should store about 100hours! LOL

New G10 and G2 are exFAT compatiable.

http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/information/SDXC.html

See the G2 capability here

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG2/DMCG2VIDEO.HTM

Last edited:
And to the guy who asked for NTFS support: HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (sorry, but man....)

I was wondering if GH1 would accept NTFS formatted SDHC card, so I tried it. And it didn't work. No one asked for NTFS support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

Is it possible to create new picture profile settings allowing further tweaks on them? Mainly Im interested in lowering contrast and saturation as the -2 settings seem to be not enough and maybe this would give us a little bit more latitude.

Sami

+1 Good thought!

Back