CAMCORDERS: Z200 "ghosting" artifacts

huoppi

New member
Not sure the best way to describe this, hopefully the attached pictures will be clear:
I'm working on a comparison of the Z200 to the Z280 for indoor sports, and I noticed some strange artifacts or "ghosting" with motion on the Z200. You can see a "ghost" of the previous two frames in certain places. Does anyone know what this is or how to prevent it?
Shooting 1080p29.97, 1/60th f/4.4 20db NR: Med, zoom between 40-99%

C0005.MP4.00_01_32_07.Still001 copy.jpg
C0005.MP4.00_01_32_07.Still001 copy2.jpg
C0003.MP4.00_00_44_03.Still001 copy.jpg
C0003.MP4.00_00_44_03.Still001 copy2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Wondering if it is related to noise suppression. Here's an image with noise suppression set to high. There are vertical red lines on the black wall (not there in reality, it's a flat black pad), and on the jersey of number three.
C0015.MP4.00_06_24_11.Still001.jpg
 
Not sure the best way to describe this, hopefully the attached pictures will be clear:
I'm working on a comparison of the Z200 to the Z280 for indoor sports, and I noticed some strange artifacts or "ghosting" with motion on the Z200. You can see a "ghost" of the previous two frames in certain places. Does anyone know what this is or how to prevent it?
Shooting 1080p29.97, 1/60th f/4.4 20db NR: Med, zoom between 40-99%

View attachment 5712596
View attachment 5712598
View attachment 5712599
View attachment 5712597
Would almost 100% agree with (huoppi's) post reply. I've seen very familiar artifacts in other Sony and Panasonic cameras in previous years. In the Z200 Help Guide I note that "Noise Suppression" is ON by default and set to MID. I would try and shoot some similar material with the noise suppression set to OFF and then check your results. Likewise, I would also try the LOW setting and check the results. It looks a lot like too much motion compensated temporal filtering. This is the noise suppression process where motion is tracked across frames, it blends pixels from multiple frames to reduce noise while trying to minimise artifacts like ghosting.

With the sensitivity of the Z200 and the light levels you appear to be working with on the court, I think you'd do better with the noise suppression (noise reduction) set to OFF. Keep us posted of results if you try it out.

Chris Young
 
Back
Top