The thing is, the XL2 colors can look like anything you want them to. And so can the DVX's. There's so much image control available, comparing their raw colors is a nearly futile exercise.
I mean, here are some examples: all of these shots were done entirely IN-CAMERA, no post processing of color or contrast or anything:
Those are all shots from the "magical projectile" section of the DVX DVD. The camera was set on a tripod shooting the same scene, and then I changed the menu settings to get a new "look" and recorded the scene again, etc. So all you're seeing there is done in-camera by the DVX itself (you can see the "normal" scene as an inset in the lower-left of each picture).
Yes, but the DVX just has a warmer film look to it than any ohter camera out there. I like warm colors. I want to use it for a Romantic Comedy that I plan to produce next year but I found some problems with the DVX like tha anamorphic lens is not easy to use for focus. Even at the Transfer LAB that does video to 35mm they said the main problem they've had is out of focus for entire scenes becuase it fools you on the monitor but once it's blown up is such a bad focus with the anamorphic. They really suggested I go with the XL2 but they said the colors are flat and images harsher, however they said you can twick it to get what you want.
My question is are there any clips that refelct real warm color with the XL2. I want to see something that did not use a filter but was color corrected in post shot with an XL2 in 24P PAL and 16:9 mode.
If you are truly planning on the expense of a film-out transfer I would rent both cameras for a day and see what you think hands on. Maybe even a couple frames from each of your tests transferred to 35mm slides to see output. A small investment to get what you are looking for... and you are the one who needs to be happy.