XL2 stutter and clicking

stan harrington

Well-known member
Hi guys...I just bought a new Canon XL2 (used)...first canon for me so not that familiar with it's idiosyncracies...if someone could please tell me if it is normal for the camera to make a couple of clicking noises in the lens area when the camera is turned on...this one does almost like a connecting noise but I've never encountered such a thing...

the other thing is that I had it on 60i and was pasnning slowly and found it to stutter...on playback it is there too...it recorded that way...could this be the stabilizer??? or is this not abnormal

Thanks in advance,
Stan Harrington
 
Hi Stan,

No, if we understand you correctly, neither of these conditions sound good. You can put your lens in manual mode and then turn on the XL-2 to isolate the problem but it should never make any audible sounds. I doubt an intermitent connection between the lens and XL-2 body would make any noises but you might want to double check to ensure the lens is firmly seated (always turn off power when fiddling with the lens so you don't damage anything by cross-wiring itself). You might also want to do a close visual inspection of the electrical pins on the lens. If you can find an XL-2 buddy in the area, try his/her lens on your camera - if the problem goes away, you (sadly) know the lens are damaged.

I assume the studder you're referring to when panning is with the auto-focus turned on. If that's happening, I'm guessing you've got something binding internal to the lens - another manifestation of the noise you hear when turning on the camera.

Now would be a good time to talk to the seller...

Good luck, Michael
 
Thanks guys...I was afraid I'd hear something like that...I am off to see a friend with an XL to see how it sounds to compare but I fear that there is something suspicious...the jittering is like a glitch...almost a dropped frame look or freeze...very minute but definitetly noticable...

Again thanks for the thoughts....the footage turned out fine when I was stationarry on a tripod shooting 24p so I got some good stuff but kills me that I spent all I had to buy a camera with a problem...It was and Ebay purchase and the people seem very nice but haven't returned my call on this now...at least not yet.

crossed fingers and thanks for the advice guys,
Stan Harrington
 
My XL2 also produces a clicking sound from the lens when I turn it on. I thought this was normal but it seems it doesn't. It sounds like some things which are opening are something, a clicking sound indeed. Nobody else has this?

Update:

It seems normal, I've found the answer on another forum: 'Just the electronics waking up'
 
Last edited:
Thanks Scremertje...just heard the same from a friend who has a couple of XL1's...they don't all do it but he says it is not abnormal...also found out that the jittering or skipping could be due to the stabilizer being on...will report back when I try again incase anyone else needs this info...

Cheers,
Stan The Man
 
This is completely normal. It is the OIS engaging inside the lens and I'd be more concerned if I DIDN'T hear it making that noise. As for the weird stuttering in the image. What shutter setting are you at? If you're at 24th speed this will cause that effect. Hope your camera works out okay.
 
Last edited:
Yes the clicking turns out normal...thanks for the technical explanation...it sets my mind at ease...the stuttering happened while panning on 60i but I was told that the stabliizer was probably challenging it so to try with the stablizer off...yet to try but will report back...light was kinda low too...

cheers,
Stan The Man
 
Back
Top