XL2 experience

DVP

New member
Hello all,

This is my first post here, so please forgive any blatant missteps and the length of this post. I see so many people wondering - gee has anyone used them side by side - anything I should know. I will pass along what little knowledge I have gathered so far with the XL2 and the DVX.

My observances are just that, they aren't scientific, just my subjective feelings of actually looking at the picture and not the specs. Now, before everyone blows a testicle and dumps all over me, I'd like people to know I am just passing along my singular opinion, and do not claim that one camera is better than the other. I think after the amount of time I spent looking at these two cameras, that "better" is a waste of time. They are different yes. Better? No.

I own an XL2, and have a DVX rented to see the differences for myself. I have no prejudices or particular allegiances to one or the other. Coming from a film background, the first thing I would like to address is that neither of these cameras is even remotely close to comparing to 35mm. Not even close...so we should leave that very unfair and unrealistic comparison at the door. I have worked extensively with the Sony F900 and the Panasonic Varicam, and even those aren't film. They are both amazing, but they ain't film. That being said, they are video cameras, and so as such they have many strengths and weakness in common. One of my primary beefs with both the DVX and XL2 cameras is aliasing. I find that the base camera setting on both to give brutal levels of aliasing, but with a bit of tweaking this can be managed. Even film transfered to video shows aliasing (particular offenders are car commercials if you want to see this in action). Until we all have progressive scan LCD or Plasma monitors, that is the joy of interlacing. With both cameras - dial down the vertical detail, the coring, the general detail level to get rid of most of the problem. Try to kill the rest in post with selective antialiasing.

My observances are - the stock lens on the DVX is nicer to use. The manual zoom is more predictable, more repeatable. The focus is okay but both the DVX and the XL2 are a bit fussy to focus using the tiny little LCD monitors. I was viewing both on a 19-inch high res 16:9/4:3 production monitor with the S-Video out. Even with a large monitor like this the focus is fussy. The DVX focus was slightly less temperamental. I would think a fully manual lens would be the best option - Image stabilization or not. The servo lens on the XL2 takes some getting used to, and let's all face it, servo lenses are a pain in the butt.

The DVX pop out LCD monitor is handy at times, and can make focusing a bit easier depending on situation. The DVX size is less cumbersome and I felt like I could position in nicely down at my waist, over my head - all sorts of things. The XL2 is kind of a pain to do this with. The wide angle lens on the DVX is nice, but it would be nice if the telephoto end were just a bit longer. This of course depends heavily on what you need it for. The iris control is also better on the DVX. The stepped iris wheel on the XL2 is annoying. No person can really defend this honestly. A stepped iris is not as flexible as a wheel iris - BUT - depends on how often you are changing the iris during a shot. If you do it constantly, the DVX is certainly easier and better.

I am not too concerned with which camera has a more red or green color cast, warm or cool, rich blacks, etc. etc. as I like to think of the video as a film negative. Get as much information on the tape as possible and tweak it in post - a crushed black is gone forever, as is a clipped white. You can always crush a black in post with more control. Same goes for highlights. Easier to add contrast that remove it. This is even a major drawback on the F900 or Varicam. The latitude of film is much better than video, even very expensive video. The HDCAM SR format helps just a wink. I think the XL2 has slightly better latitude than the DVX after all the tweaking was done, but not by a staggering amount. Try with both to get as much highlight retention as possible using the knee, gamma, and curves.

Viewing both in 16:9 mode on a Sony production monitor, I found that generally, the DVX in 16:9 stretch mode (not cropped) was the best - the least amount of aliasing and good detail. The next best (and I mean a virtually dead heat) was the XL2 in 16:9. There was slightly more detail overall, so there were a few more aliasing artifacts but they may be able to be cleaned up in post. I think that the DVX had slighly more control over the vertical detail - in a -7 to +7 rather than just high, medium, low on the Canon. The only bummer about the DVX is the faux 16:9. However - if you are only on TV, and not planning a film blowup, and want to work exclusively in 16:9 and never need a 4:3 extracted from that image, the DVX is the narrow margin winner from an aliasing point of view. I guess you could use an anamorphic adapter, but that introduces other issues. Unfortunately this is where things started to turn against the DVX in my tests. The 4:3 and cropped 16:9 were both weaker than the 16:9 and 4:3 performance on the XL2 by quite a bit in both 24p and 60i. In 4:3, the DVX aliasing became really problematic for me.

Nice things about the XL2? The 16:9 chips do seem to help a bit. The flexibility of changing the color LCD to the BW high res. Good image stabilization. Pretty good "tweakability", if that is a word. The fact that the lens can be taken off - but this is moot depending on whether you'll ever really want to do this. For using with the mini-35, this is a nice feature. To replace the servo lens with a full manual lens this is nice. To use the 3X lens? HERE IS WHERE THINGS GO TERRIBLY, TERRIBLY WRONG for Canon. (In my case) I ordered the 3X lens as the wide on the stock lens is not great - not bad, but not great. I thought, "Hey the 3X - that's the ticket!" WRONG!! The lens is garbage. And I have now gone through two of them, and had them tested on multiple cameras (both XL2 and XL1). The backfocus issues discussed on many forums are real, very very real. Zoom in, focus on something, zoom out, mush. The focal plane moves. What was in focus is now out of focus. Period. Now - before XL2 lovers roast the crap out of me - yes it was in manual, yes, I tried the "push auto-focus" etc. etc. On top of the this, the first lens had dirt all over the one of the inside elements. It was visible to the naked eye with a flashlight. Canon spent a week telling me there was nothing wrong with the lens, and that the "dirt" I spoke of was not an issue. BS - dirt on a lens with 1/3 inch chips is bad news. Very bad. Finally after standing physically with the tech at Canon's service center, he agreed - yes the dirt was there. Gee? Really? Now, after also spending about an hour describing what backfocus was to a person who was supposed to fix the backfocus problem, I was told it was fixed and to come in. Yes XL2 lovers, I let them keep the camera as well because the two communicate electronically. Was the problem fixed? No. The tech said, it was better though. That is comforting. It is only partly out of focus now. That helps. Kinda like being partly pregnant.

The new lens - no better. The new one they gave me has no dirt inside, so that is a plus. But same focus issues, and add to that that I couldn't focus to infinity. It just stops focusing before you reach that point, and as you zoom the focus pulses in and out of focus with pops. You can focus to infinity sometimes, sometime not - depends on where in the zoom range you are. Brutal, just brutal. In 10 years I have never seen a more poorly made lens. Now - this is where it gets good. Canon's response was simply that the errors were considered within their tolerance. Well - too bad, not inside my tolerances. Going into the process I went through with Canon service would be a small novel, so I will spare you. The best analogy I can give is that is was like a prison gang rape, caught on tape, that everyone stood around watching happen but denying it was happening. I cannot dump on Canon service enough to do the story justice. Deny the problems, then ignore them. Great confidence builder.

THAT BEING SAID -once you get around the service and the 3X lens, the camera is actually very good - the 20X lens is sharp and clear, if displaying the annoying tendencies of all servo lenses. There is lots of fiddling room with the settings (but having numbers instead of the sliders would be helpful) The 16:9 native chips are nice to have, and OVERALL, it is a very good picture (for a 1/3 inch video camera). If you want wide angle - try the century optics .6 or .7x adapters - maybe they work better. And hope and pray you don't have a problem. Cause if you do, you too will get to spend weeks of your life arguing with Canon. Hopefully they will design a new lens.

Is the DVX better? No. Is the XL2 better? No. They are different. Like Kodak and Fuji, like Ford and Chevy, like apples and oranges. To be honest, I prefer apples over oranges by a slim margin. Unless juiced. Then we have a whole new debate. Both cameras have their weaknesses and strengths - the key being the operator. And the 3X lens is crap.

Well, I think that about does it. I hope this helps people. After buying an XL2 I started having serious second thoughts, but the tests I did have made me feel much better. Just to make you feel good - my honest recommendation is to rent both cameras for a day. They rent for about $145CND per day here, so for less than $300, you can see for yourself. If you are thinking of spending $4000+, that seems like a pretty small amount to spend for peace of mind. They are very close in a side by side, with each having certain benefits over the other. And - did I mention that the 3X lens was crap?

In closing - these were my experiences alone, and others may have other experiences.

Have a good one.
 
Re: XL2 experience

Hi DVP - great review thanks! I have to say, I haven't experienced any problems with my 3X lens and it's a lens I bought off ebay... Maybe there are quality control issues?

I would love to know more (much, much more) about how you are setting the camera and what tweaking you are doing in post. I'm new to so much of this and anything you would be willing to share would be very greatly appreciated by myself and, I'm sure, others.

Matt
 
Re: XL2 experience

Great Post! I too have questions though about your experience with the 3x WA lens. I have heard of a few issues but from what I have been told, the 3x lens is supposed to be great. I personally use the Century Optics adapter .6x WA and feel the image is slightly softer. It has been recommended to me that I fork out the cash for the Canon 3x as it is worth it. But your opinion is in direct contradiction to this. Hmmmm.....confusing!
 
Re: XL2 experience

Some people may have great luck with the 3X. I just have had 2 of them in a row with serious flaws. And I think the thing that bugs me the most is Canon's response that the flaws were within their level of acceptability. You should see the two I had though. It took them a week and a half of arguing to even acknowledge that there was dirt on one of the inside elements. Even with me standing right beside the tech! Ugg. I'm going to give Canon one final chance with the newest lens and see what happens.
 
Re: XL2 experience

Great info. As I stated in another post, as a documentary filmmaker I prefer the XL2 as a handheld camera because of it's design. I guess one of the advantages of shooting handheld is that aliasing doesn't show up as much because of the slight camera movement. I set up with detail (sharpness on the XL) down a notch and coring up one or two.

I bought my camera as a package from ZGC with the manual lens, about $100 more but well worth it. I have compared the camera to footage from one purchased at a discount house and the aliasing on my camera seems to be less - don't know why that would be true unless maybe there's some minor difference in "grey market" cameras. Probably just a subjective opinion - and admittedly I don't know how the other camera was set up because I didn't shoot the footage with it.

I also have a DVX with the anamorph. That is my solution to the wide angle issue. I'm lucky, I guess, but in the real world these cameras are very cheap. The cost of the XL2 was less than I've spent just purchasing super16mm film stock for previous documentaries, and that doesn't even include processing and telecine.

Personally, I prefer to have the image look the way I want out of the camera without doing anything in post except broadcast specs. Maybe it's my cinematography background, but I don't like the idea of the image being manipulated after-the-fact - unless I really f___ed up of course. So, Master Ped down a notch or two, depending, Gamma usually middle, sometimes high - the usual DVX stuff - and yes, I shoot 24p, Cine settings exclusively. I don't know why there's even another choice. And you're right, it is NEVER going to look like 35. But it can look like 16mm ASA 200 Fuji. Which ain't bad.

Bottom line, it is possible to tweak both cameras so that they look vitually identical (to the general TV viewing public - some in this forum may see minor differences)... But, after all, it's about story telling and all this tech stuff is just a way to get the story told...
 
Re: XL2 experience

DVP,
Thanks for the well-written review. It's interesting that the DVX and XL2 are sooooo close in image quality, and yet the DVX costs $1500 less. Sure, it depends on what the camera is used for (nature/wildlife needs long zoom, so XL2 wins; run and gun reality needs small size and wide angle, so DVX wins), but it seems as though for general purpose indie filmmaking (which is what I use it for) the DVX really gives more bang for your buck.
 
Re: XL2 experience

They are really close because the technology is pushed to it's max. The Xl2 adds features that the DVX does not. I even talked to a canon rep and he said he never anticipated the XL2 being more that a little better image wise than the DVX. Mostly because of the 16x9 mode.

He reinforced that the design was driven by the interchangable lens, the interchangable view finder and the open architecture.

If really clean higer res 16x9 is of no concern to you and you will never use the long telephoto or change lenses/viewfinders then the DVX is a steal!

But if these things are important to you then the XL2 is worth the extra cash.
 
Re: XL2 experience

Another long one. Sorry to harp on design issues, but I want to clear up some misconceptions that I've seen in these postings. Not so much because the users here will gain anything, but because I hope the manufacturers reps read these letters and take them into account when they design the next generation of cameras.

First: Look at any professional motion picture camera. Panaflex, Moviecam, Aaton 35 and 16, Arriflex 35 and 16, or any of the pro HD cameras. Where is the viewfinder? On the side in balance with the nodal point of the lens. It is not an accident or arbitrary. The idea is that the operator is supposed to be one with the camera whether on a tripod or handheld. The only time you use an eyepiece extension or a rear mounted viewfinder is when you use a gear head, and believe me, you don't want to go there unless you can rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time.

Second: The term "run and gun" implies news shooters in a war zone or shooting COPS. But documentary filmmakers often work handheld because they have to be mobile so they can cover different angles quickly in order to have material to edit with later. And they are trying, generally, to capture footage with as little interference with the subject as possible. Often one has to shoot for hours without a break. A front heavy camera is a killer in these situations.

So, to the subject here. The XL2 is vastly superior for this type of filmmaking. There are times when the "home camcorder" design comes in handy though, such as shooting in cars, airplanes, or on city streets when you don't want to attract attention. That is when the DVX has the advantage.

Thirdly: Wide angle lenses. Pick a movie or television program you really like and pay attention to how much of it is shot with the long end of the lens as compared to the wide. You will discover that a much larger proportion tends to be "normal" or slight telephoto. Why? because by keeping your stop under 4 and using a long lens you separate the subject from the background, using depth of field to force the viewer's eye to the central subject. That is a big part of what is perceived as "film look". It is vitually impossible to do this with the DVX and the anamorphic adapter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the DVX. It is an excellent camera for the price and the pictures can be amazing. But, and here's the next catagory...

Fourth: 16x9. It is spitting in the wind to pretend that wide screen TVs are not going to dominate in the near future. Just go to Circuit City the month before Christmas (that's now). Any of us who produce films that might take a year to a year and a half to finish need to work in the apect ratio that will be required by broadcasters at that time. That format is awkward with the DVX.

Fifth: HDV. That issue brings up acquisition in MiniDV High Definition. There have been many excellent posts here discussing the pros and cons of codecs etc. But it is basically the image on the screen in conjunction with content that the audience "judges". Not the specs. Generally I use some sort of glass anyway (SoftFX or ProMist). A well produced image shot with the DVX or the XL2 and transferred by a good post house to HD will look plenty good compared to MPEG2 acquisition. And you aren't dealing with the current hassles of editing HDV. On the other hand, the Sony is native 16x9 in HDV, MiniDV and DVCAM. If only they'd get the weight back.

So, you may ask, why as a professional filmmaker do I use these "prosumer" cameras instead on shelling out 60k for a high end Sony? The answer is, I have a high end super16 Aaton already and I am not about to commit big bucks to another camera when these will do the job. I use the XL2 for basic shooting and have the DVX in a bag nearby when I need the wide shots or need to jump in a car. When all these format issues get settled, then maybe I'll get something else.
 
Re: XL2 experience

It's really amazing the level of experience on this board. I learn more and more every day.

Mac, I have a couple of questions for you. The first is really a favor to ask of you. I have read more than a few posts by professional cinametographers who have stated that the XL2 can be tweaked to give a DVX style look or other more film like looks. However, no one ever takes the time to share these exact settings. I've been experimenting but it would really be great to be able to assemble a library of settings as a starting point. Any help you could provide in the area would be wonderful.

Also, regarding glass. I have just purchased the filters you mentioned and am going to start experimenting with them this week. If you were shooting footage that might be projected or blown up, would you still use one of those filters or would you avoid them and maintain as sharp an image as possible? Any real world insight you could give to these types of filters would also be appreciated.

I'm working on a black and white film short (you can see it in a thread below). Do you have any suggestions on settings for such a project. I've already decided that I would reshoot everything in 24p advanced pulldown as the original footage was shot 24p 3:2 and I can see artifacts.

Thank you in advance - I'm really looking forward to your response.

Matt
 
Re: XL2 experience

Mattc.. Hmmm, maybe it's supposed to be a big secret, hope I'm not giving anything away here. No, actually I think it's because the "lookl" is subjective. Here's a starting point and I hope others will jump in with their own opinions so we can all see just how subjective it is.

First. Set your camera up to a monitor that you trust and point it at something representative of what you regularly shoot. If it's people, get your wife or significant other to sit still for half an hour, because skin tones are the easiest thing to judge or misjudge. Try to get your viewfinder adjusted so it matches the monitor as closly as possible. Unfortunatly the quality of the image in the XL viewfinder is it's weakest point (the DVX is amazingly much better), but you need it close so you can make judgements in the field, unless you always use a monitor (I obviously don't/can't).

Start with these settings and go from there... (by the way, as a point of reference, I really like the gritty film look of NYPD Blue. The crunched blacks and rich warm colors).

GAMMA - CINE
KNEE - MIDDLE
BLACK - MIDDLE or PRESS
COLOR MATRIX - CINE
COLOR GAIN - UP A NOTCH (interestingly on the DVX I turn the color gain down 2 - Panasonic apparently ships with more chroma)
COLOR PHASE - CENTER
R GAIN - CENTER
G GAIN - CENTER
B GAIN - DOWN A NOTCH (makes image slightly warmer - go the other way if you like cooler)
V DETAIL - NORMAL - There will be some argument on this
SHARPNESS - DOWN A NOTCH
CORING - UP 2 NOTCHES
SETUP - Your call, I leave it alone since I can't dial in 7.5 for PBS
MASTER PED - DOWN A NOTCH (I take it down as much as -4 on the DVX. Nancy Schreiber set her's at -7)
NR - OFF

Avoid Film Grain like the plague, shoot 24p (but you know that already)

As for glass, I always use a SoftFX 1/2 or a ProMist 1/4 or 1/2. I shoot for TV and these filters provide a subtle "creamy" quality that I like. For blowup you will get a variety of opinions. The labs will say don't use any filters, but if the image looks good projected on a large screen in video, it will look good in a blowup. As a rule of thumb, use a filter one step down to be on the safe side (1/4 instead of 1/2 for instance). I have had many (well, not many, but more than 10) films blown up from 16 and super16, and the filters haven't been a problem. I've only done one MiniDV to film blowup as a test, everything was shot with a SoftFX 1/2, and I thought it looked great. Again, it's subjective. The advantage of using these filters is that they tend to lessen the distraction of aliasing, making the whole image appear, as I said, creamier. Absolute sharpness is really only possible with 35 and HD, and as accurately stated in the 1st post above, it can even be a problem there... My thoughts on the subject are that if people are noticing things like aliasing the movie must not be very good.

Good Luck. Now I can hardly wait for everyone to jump in and tell me what a chump I am...
 
Re: XL2 experience

FYI: After writing here yesterday I shot for 3 1/2 hours in the afternoon and evening, mostly interviews, for a one hour documentary we are just beginning on people living with cancer - my first practical experience with the XL2 since buying it a week and a half ago.

I want to report that in real-life shooting, not testing, the XL2 was excellent. After finally getting used to the screwy placement of the white balance button and the (correctly) criticized iris switch, the camera was confortable and didn't leave me with arm strain. One minor positive thing I noticed is that when I punch the go button (shooting in 24p) the camera starts shooting immediately. My DVX always stutters for a second or two before rolling in 24p. This is a big deal when you need to capture something NOW!

I do wish Canon had made the grip adjustable, like they did the finder - that would have been nice - I might have to get out the hacksaw and void yet another warranty (I always end up modifying my cameras). I also wish there was a way to lock the shutter at 1/48, because it's easy to accidentally nudge the button. You have to wake up when you see that red light glowing in the finder. And speaking of the finder, I really like being able to make all the data go away. It's almost like shooting with a film camera, no crap to peak through.

The footage, camera set up as described above, using the 1/2 SoftFX, is pretty much exactly what I want. I may do a little more tweaking and crush the blacks even more, but generally the footage makes me happy. Oh, and the impression of overall sharpness is WAY better in 16x9. There is no comparison, even with the DVX anamorph properly adjusted. And the audio is terrific if anyone wonders about it.

Since I am getting heavy into a shoot, this will probably be my last post for quite a while, just wanted to pass that on...

Also, I would be very interested in how DVP (1st post in this thread) is setting up his camera.
 
Re: XL2 experience

Mac, I find your posts fascinating, please keep them coming in between projects and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. They are very welcome.
 
Re: XL2 experience

[quote author=Mac link=board=XL2;num=1100666775;start=0#10 date=11/18/04 at 09:40:52]One minor positive thing I noticed is that when I punch the go button (shooting in 24p) the camera starts shooting immediately. My DVX always stutters for a second or two before rolling in 24p. This is a big deal when you need to capture something NOW! [/quote]
That's good news... I know that on the DVX it can take a few seconds, and it can be a little heart-stopping! One nice thing about DV Rack is that it starts recording before you do, so it pre-buffers the video and you won't miss the start of it. But if the XL2 starts recording immediately every time, that's a nice little bonus.

And speaking of the finder, I really like being able to make all the data go away. It's almost like shooting with a film camera, no crap to peak through.
It's amazing how that stuff accumulates. You can do this on the DVX also, you can turn all displays to "off" and then press the MODE CHK button when you want to see stuff and it'll bring up all the displays, and when you release the button you go back to a clean VF. On the 100A they even made it easier by making MODE CHK assignable to one of the USER buttons.

The footage, camera set up as described above, using the 1/2 SoftFX, is pretty much exactly what I want.
And that's what counts!

And the audio is terrific if anyone wonders about it.
I wonder why we haven't had more reports about that. I would expect great audio from it, but very few people have commented like this so far. Glad to hear it's good.
 
Re: XL2 experience

Hi - well the 3X lens saga continues - I showed the problem to about ten people at two different Canon dealers. Both pro video places, not consumer shops. There were sales people, techs, etc. They had never seen anything like this, particularly on two different lenses. Just to be sure we cracked out a few other cameras to triple check. I have now tried the lens on two XL2's an XL1 and an XL1S with the same problem. Good news is that it doesn't seem to be an incompatibility with the XL2. It is the lens. The lens is making it's way to Canon Canada, and we will see what happens from here. As I indicated earlier, the most disappointing thing was Canon's response. Basically the locale service center called me a liar, and that there was no problem. Well, ten people and four different cameras seem to agree with me! I will keep people posted so that if it turns out it was just a bad batch of lenses I don't sour people on the lens. And when I actually get to use the camera in the field, I can give a new report. Have a good one.
 
Re: XL2 experience

[quote author=DVP link=board=XL2;num=1100666775;start=0#13 date=11/18/04 at 11:07:40]Hi - well the 3X lens saga continues - I showed the problem to about ten people at two different Canon dealers.  Both pro video places, not consumer shops.  There were sales people, techs, etc.  They had never seen anything like this, particularly on two different lenses. Just to be sure we cracked out a few other cameras to triple check.  I have now tried the lens on two XL2's an XL1 and an XL1S with the same problem.  Good news is that it doesn't seem to be an incompatibility with the XL2. It is the lens.  The lens is making it's way to Canon Canada, and we will see what happens from
here.  As I indicated earlier, the most disappointing thing was Canon's response.  Basically the locale service center called me a liar, and that there was no problem.  Well, ten people and four different cameras seem to agree with me!  I will keep people posted so that if it turns out it was just a bad batch of lenses I don't sour people on the lens.  And when I actually get to use the camera in the field, I can give a new report. Have a good one.[/quote]

Don't foget that sometimes you just end up dealing with a bad batch of people too! Some people have no business in the service industry. I hope from here on out you get receptive intelligent Canon reps. They do exist. BUt sometimes you get the impatient ones who don't know diddly!
 
Back
Top