XF100 repair: They fixed the zoom button they screwed up the audio!!!

lyrov

Well-known member
I just took back by post my XF100 from the repair shop (they replaced the broken zoom button) and to my surprise the camera can not record AUDIO!!! When I just turned it on, I noticed that the audio levels were not moving and I realized something was wrong. In the audio menu everything is greyed!!! The funny thing is...the repair shop will be closed for summer (yes that happens in Greece haha) until the 25th of August! The camera was OFF guaranty so I didnt bring it to the official Canon repair shop (they re no better, but at least the are open even in summer). My guess is that they unpluged some cable or something from the audio circuit. I hope they didnt cut anything! Im thinking to open it myself and see what is going on...:undecided

What do you guys think?
 
There's a good chance it's just a loose or unplugged ribbon cable from the mic in the handle and that you can fix it. Depends how comfortable you are with very tiny screws. Of course, be sure to leave no fingerprints if that isn't the problem. Interested to hear how you get on. Good topic for YouTube "how-to" video.
 
There's a good chance it's just a loose or unplugged ribbon cable from the mic in the handle and that you can fix it. Depends how comfortable you are with very tiny screws. Of course, be sure to leave no fingerprints if that isn't the problem. Interested to hear how you get on. Good topic for YouTube "how-to" video.
Thanks for the reply! I ve decided not to open it finally, as I found out later that the problem was even bigger! NOTHING on the top handle is working! So except audio, I have a dead top zoom button, top rec button and the viewfinder is just black! So probably there must be some main cable that connects everything to the top handle which is unplugged. Anyway Im not gonna risk it! I just left a message to the repair shop, so they know the problem came up as soon as I received the camera from them. There is a big irony in all that story...with the way Im using my XF100 (locked on a tripod taking a wide shot and capturing good sound from a g3 and a ntg2) I could have use it just fine without bringing it for repair...and now...I dont have sound...:-(
 
Back
Top