Why did we jump from HD to 4K?

To stay in business, do companies really have to get everyone to upgrade every few years? How did they stay alive, then, decades ago? Population growth is accelerating. Even if no one replaces their TVs, there will be more and more new people, who need to buy their first TVs. Besides that there is the entrance into the first world of formerly third-world countries, like the BRIC. We're talking millions of new customers every few years or so.
 
All this talk about 4K. Meanwhile, I still see blank VHS video tapes for sale at my local supermarket. I hear they are still popular with grandmas!
 
In the still photography world, the megapixel myth was really just for consumers and sales. Professionals know that the difference between 12mp and 22mp is negligible and sometimes irrelevant. The video world will come to that realization soon although I do see a benefit of 4K over HD in some instances. Above 4K will only be for special application purposes and extra room to crop to 4K.

I also just want to point out that I've seen blow ups of 50MP images that were decently sharp, nothing special, as well as blowups of 5MP cropped images that were incredibly sharp. your abilities as a photographer are much more important than resolution as it relates to overall sharpness.
 
In the still photography world, the megapixel myth was really just for consumers and sales. Professionals know that the difference between 12mp and 22mp is negligible and sometimes irrelevant. The video world will come to that realization soon although I do see a benefit of 4K over HD in some instances. Above 4K will only be for special application purposes and extra room to crop to 4K.

I also just want to point out that I've seen blow ups of 50MP images that were decently sharp, nothing special, as well as blowups of 5MP cropped images that were incredibly sharp. your abilities as a photographer are much more important than resolution as it relates to overall sharpness.

Yup, and if a film sucks, it really doesn't matter if it's 2k, 4k or 640x480. Its funny, people always throw in the camera name to get views "4k RED EPIC SHORT FILM" but then they don't bother to add the real title. lol, I've done it to. but partly to make it easier for others that shoot on the same cam to compare shots or whatever. Were gonna see this a lot with the gh4 and 4k as we did with every other make. For me, this is the year for improved technique. I'm not worrying about gear at the moment. It's all irrelevant unless you can use what you have to the fullest, which I need a **** load of practice. Not to mention, I want people to watch my work due to building a name and reputation, not because of the brand or specs of the camera I use. That can be found in the credits or blogs if people are interested.
 
In the still photography world, the megapixel myth was really just for consumers and sales. Professionals know that the difference between 12mp and 22mp is negligible and sometimes irrelevant. The video world will come to that realization soon although I do see a benefit of 4K over HD in some instances. Above 4K will only be for special application purposes and extra room to crop to 4K.

I think they already have. More and more people are watching stuff on their computers and phones (including me)

On a lighter note, I kind of enjoy when technology shifts like this. It makes the good stuff a lot cheaper. I always wait a couple years to buy game consoles, and the same goes for cameras. I've bought some of the raddest pro film equipment at thrift stores for a couple bucks. I say "onward consumers!" I'll be in the back scavenging over the good stuff you leave behind : )
 
Yup, and if a film sucks, it really doesn't matter if it's 2k, 4k or 640x480. Its funny, people always throw in the camera name to get views "4k RED EPIC SHORT FILM" but then they don't bother to add the real title. lol, I've done it to. but partly to make it easier for others that shoot on the same cam to compare shots or whatever. Were gonna see this a lot with the gh4 and 4k as we did with every other make. For me, this is the year for improved technique. I'm not worrying about gear at the moment. It's all irrelevant unless you can use what you have to the fullest, which I need a s*%t load of practice. Not to mention, I want people to watch my work due to building a name and reputation, not because of the brand or specs of the camera I use. That can be found in the credits or blogs if people are interested.

I'm just recently getting into video, and am not really seeing how 4K is going to catch on that fast. 1080 feels like it just got really established in the last couple of years, and a lot of people still watch movies in standard def, etc. I am pretty content with shooting 1080 or even 720 for now and see no real reason to upgrade to 4K.

As an established photographer, I am all too aware of the megapixel sales pitch and how much baloney it is. I am more than happy with a D3S and know that technique, content and time spent in post will do 100 times more for my photos than a bunch more pixels. Hell, seeing the average persons results with the D800 makes me think the opposite.
 
The reason we go to 4K is to get HD! Very few "HD" cameras come close to achieving HD resolution. 4K viewed on 1080 screens is stunningly visibly improved in real detail over so-called "HD". So you need no new investment to see the benefits. Your clients will see it on any viewing device. Those who "see" no reason to upgrade have not seen 4K downrezzed to real 1080.
 
Good topic -
And at a certain price point, it'd be nice to just get some REAL 1080 cameras before going to 4K. I suppose 4k down to 1080 will make for a better HD, but things like nice codecs, better DR and proper scaling sensors would also make for better 1080. Those things don't have the buzz sound manufacturers want though....4k MUST be better because it's 4K!

The only camera which springs to mind as fulfilling this definition is the Sony F35. However the F23, SRW-9000/9000PL and the Thomson Viper also basically maxed out what 1080P can do. and they look stunning.
 
Back
Top