Where's all the excitement?

Ought2bCommitted said:
Personally, I think its really harsh to say things like you can't get those 3 hours back and the films were subpar. I know its only a matter of opinion and all, but for ME, even watching the "subpar" films was a learning experience. I enjoyed watching everyone's films from start to finish, and there were some I liked more than others, but I would not be so rude as to call them junk or subpar.

The thing I really liked about this contest, and what I think a lot of people don't or don't care to realize, is the absolute varying degrees of expertise and experience all of the 79 filmmakers had--from flat out amatuer, first time film, seasoned, intermediate, and obviosuly pro. Where else can you see that kind of diversity? Nowhere.

Quite honestly, I'm in the minority in not grooving on the films all you seem to be digging. Yes, from a tech standpoint there are some outstanding LOOKING and SOUNDING films, but it takes a STORY to impress me and do something for me. I would rather watch a mediocore film tech wise with a great story than a well polished technical masterpiece...yes, some of the entries reminded me of SW: Episode I...lots of flash and pretty stuff, but so what?

I appreciated everyone's individual levels and what they put into it. Some people had more time, etc. and it showed. Some people wouldn't have know what to do with more time, and it showed. But so what? I think everyone had fun making their projects and I would hope everyone learned something, both in the MAKING and in the WATCHING.

I am frankly very disappointed with a lot of the talk going on here about the films and the lack of voting and reviewing. Really people, come on. Especially from people who didn't even submit a film.

-Robert

Robert,

First, I have a great respect for this contest even though I did not participate in it. I watched and voted on every film.

Second, I would not and have not insulted any specific film or filmmaker.

But, how can you get angry at me for saying that I did not like the majority of the films? Am I not entitled to an opinion because I did not enter?

Why do we have to praise people for simply submitting something? Isn't the goal for us all to learn how to be better filmmakers?

Chris

p.s. I'm not trying to start an argument, I am just genuinely surprised at your reaction.
 
Ought2bCommitted said:
I just think people should be a tad bit more respectful.
-R

Good to see you are sticking up for the people who took the time and actually made a film.

To re-emphasize my comment of "the films being sub par". Disjecta asked why the excitement died down. I finally got to login and start watching films. The first 12 films in a row I saw where poorly made, several just ended in the middle of the story. My excitement level dropped and I was hesitant to keep watching. I did though and got to see some pretty cool films. My comment was merely directed as an answer to possibly why the festival wasn't as exciting as the lead up to it.

Kudo's to Yankee, that's a great attitude.
 
Chris,

I believe the main subject of this thread was "where's the excitement?". That's what I was responding to more than anything. (I am glad you watched AND voted for all the films.)

Yes, I didn't agree with some of what you said, but so what? You SHOULD praise someone just for submitting something because it takes balls to even do it, esp. if you suspect your film is less than perfect...but you do not have to praise the film just because it was entered. Big difference in what I said. I also don't believe I said YOU personally insulted the films or filmmakers. You were talking in generalities, and so was I. If you will not, I did not even quote your post in mine.

Having not entered the contest, you are of course entitled to your opinion. That remark was not meant for you directly. I have been amazed by the response(s) and lack of in some cases towards the films as a whole. And yes, some of the people who didn't even enter anything have been the most guilty in my eyes. Again, not specifically meant for you.

I don't feel we have an argument here. I just completely disagree with both your feedback to the films and your post. It doesn't make you wrong, or me right. It just means we disagree.

-R.
 
Robert,

It's all good. I didn't mean to get all crazy. :)

I do find this conversation interesting though, about what is art, if you will.

In the screenwriting section of this web site we had a similar discussion the other day. I think it is totally cool when someone tries to do something new, stretches themselves, but perhaps falls short. I think that kind of effort should always be commended.

However, as was the case in the screenwriting forum, when a writer is lazy and can't even be bothered to do the basics, spelling and formatting, for example, I don't appreciate that kind of effort being thrust upon the world.

I felt that many of the films in this contest, were lazy. Sort of, hey I've got a camera, you've got some fake blood, let's get my kid brother and shoot a zombie movie.

DVXUser.com is an amazing web site where you can learn so much. To be honest, it was disappointing to see so many films ignoring that advice.

Chris

p.s. I think this discussion is relevant to disjecta's original post, because I think that lack of effort in many of the films took away some of the excitement.
 
Stabb_Films said:
Agreeing with Matt in St.Louis that most of the first 12 I watched looked as though they were thrown together just to get the free t shirt and dvd.

Yeah, sorry about that folks, but I REALLY wanted that T-Shirt.

.... I'm gonna go throw myself off the closest bridge now, for being discovered as the free loading slacker that I am.

Oh, and yes, Trent, I watched every film, except for LETZTES ... it wouldn't play for me. I also voted on every film, and commented on every thread that I could find.

Now, where's the closest bridge ....
 
.

.

I want to go on a bit more about my comment in this thread, which was that I'm burnt out with zombies.

My movie was 'Food Chain', and I believe the things I got right were the story, the actors, some of the special effects, and originality of plot. The thing I didn't get right was that the punchline at the end wasn't strong enough, to the point that I worried that people wouldn't *get* the storyline. Plus, there were some technical limitations which I could have planned for better that caused trouble for us near the end of the production, and which ultimately compromised some fo the quality of the final result, especially with regard to the graphicness of our special effects. I really regret that time constraints and lighting issues forced us to fail to show how creative and talented our actors and makeup people were.

I put a lot of effort into designing a good story, assembling talent, calling in favors, and making sure that my cast and crew stayed focused throughout the production, which was a single night event. Unfortunately, most of that doesn't show through on the clip.

I had a great time, and so did my cast and crew. I've got offers from nearly everyone to help whenever and wherever I want to do another production. The fact is that we came, we acted, we post-produced, and submitted the film to the contest. And I am shocked at how many entries actually ended up on the list. But this was always a limited effort project, and I firmly resolved in my mind that we'd spend no more than $300, one night of shooting, and 3 days on post-production. Period.

I didn't do this for the T-shirt or the DVD set, but certainly those badges of honor are well-appreciated. I did it because I love to manage projects involving videography, whether it is a zombie short, or a feature-length drama. And I also did it because I really enjoy being a part of the DVXUser community. Forever after now, I can point to my entry in this contest and say, I did that. Even if my entry wasn't as good as, say, NBCShooter's, I can still take pride in the fact that we all took turns at the oars in the same rowboat.

As for the voting: I was really torn with this. I didn't really want to watch the other videos until they came out on DVD, which is more or less how to show them in their best light. And, geek that I am, I'm more interested in BTS material than the actual products, because I think that is where some of the real learning is going to happen. In the end, I think I ended up watching about 35 films. Every one that I watched and voted on, I also commented upon in the appropriate thread. I had about three hours Sunday evening to watch more videos, but I was so tired that I knew I wouldn't have given fair votes or commentary about them, so I didn't go there. Sorry, I know some of you are counting on all of us viewing everyone else's film, but it's too late now to vote on the rest. Rest assured, though, that I will view every one, and probably get back to every one of you with comments, when the DVD is out.

My submission was more than an experimental film than anything, because we lit it with 3 flashlights and a 100-watt DIY soft light on a boom. I think we did a good job, considering our self-imposed limitations. I hope you all take pride in your entries as well.
 
Chris,
We all go a little mad sometimes. ;-)

My answer is: it's all art. I love horror films. I get a kick out of ALL them, the good the bad and the ugly.

I do agree with you about people who should know better or are capable of more and just being lazy. But this also falls into a gray area for me because there are a lot of films this time out where the people didn't know better. A lot of first time films. I don't know everyone on here, but I've talked to some of the other filmmakers who entered and it was their first project...EVER! I think I am disappointed because the comments are just negative and blanket. They aren't getting constructive criticism TO get better. That, frankly, is what I expected from a contest like this and from the users on here who have a lot more knowledge and experience.

Heck, I'm the first to admit my own film's shortcomings and babble about what I went through just to make it, but I entered it knowing it wasn't what I really wanted it to be because I needed to...for me... to have set a goal and completed it. I don't expect any of that to be taken into consideration in voting or even in viewing my movie, but what I did expect was more...hmmm....professionalism? rather than caddiness.

For me, in most cases, I felt people did the best they could and I cut them a break here and there...but there were a few where I knew the people were capable of more from other things I've seen of theirs on here. You being here longer probably know that better than me.

And I have to admit, as a screenwriter and writer myself, I HAAATTTEEE seing screenplays or novels with no formatting what so ever or realllllyyyy bad spelling. I have never eneterd a written piece into a contest until its been proofed by 5 different people because I can't spell for crapp!!! :-)

My hope is a lot of people have learned a lot, like me, since making their first DVX film and whatever they/we do next will better reflect that. A lot of people I think just got excited about the idea of making a zombie movie and gave it their best shot.

I just realized you're my neighbor! Funny....

-Robert
 
As for the voting: I was really torn with this.

Speed,

I'm sorry but if you expected people to watch and vote for your film you really had a responsibility to do the same for the other 78 filmmakers...whether or not yours as experimental, etc.

It's just really wrong, really wrong, to expect anyone to watch, comment, and vote for your film if you do not do the same. It's great that you made it, but maybe you shouldn't have entered it then...

-Robert
 
Envision said:
Yeah, sorry about that folks, but I REALLY wanted that T-Shirt.

.... I'm gonna go throw myself off the closest bridge now, for being discovered as the free loading slacker that I am.

Oh, and yes, Trent, I watched every film, except for LETZTES ... it wouldn't play for me. I also voted on every film, and commented on every thread that I could find.

Now, where's the closest bridge ....


Finally you admit the truth! Don't you feel better now?

:grin:

-R

PS
You totally know I'm kidding, right Norm?
 
Ought2bCommitted said:
And I have to admit, as a screenwriter and writer myself, I HAAATTTEEE seing screenplays or novels with no formatting what so ever or realllllyyyy bad spelling. I have never eneterd a written piece into a contest until its been proofed by 5 different people because I can't spell for crapp!!! :-)

My hope is a lot of people have learned a lot, like me, since making their first DVX film and whatever they/we do next will better reflect that. A lot of people I think just got excited about the idea of making a zombie movie and gave it their best shot.

I just realized you're my neighbor! Funny....

-Robert

Howdy Neighbor,

Interesting, it sounds like you since you are an experienced writer, you hold screenplays to a higher standard than you do films.

I really wanted to enter the Zombie contest, I even wrote a script, but my team wasn't available to shoot it and I didn't want to enter a "sub par" effort.

Perhaps that is why I am so critical and perhaps also, too critical. If I was too harsh or cavalier in comments I apologize.

In any case, instead of bemoaning the scripts I didn't like, I would rather end this by saying that I was truly inspired by many of the films and filmmakers here.

I honestly think it was a great contest,

Chris

p.s. Where in Jersey are you from?
 
I watched all the films my computer would let me watch... and I sat there with my .zip file word document and wrote notes on each. I then went back and watched some of the flicks over again... and some probably 5 times now... then I also had friends watch... if anybody could be zombied out it would be me, but I hope that they stay posted for a while still because I read the review threads and then watch them AGAIN because I find it way more interesting to know what's behind the flick and THEN watch it. I'm having more fun watching these now then I did on the first night we got 'em.

My negative comments aren't meant to hurt anybody's feelings... but c'mon... plants either grow or die... I'm hoping that we as filmmakers are at least as sophisticated as plants.

I told everybody about the turd I was gonna' throw in the pool beforehand and I wanted everybody to watch it with that in mind... and it's no disrespect to my crew that put a lot of work into our project, but I just knew how high the bar was going to be ahead of time... and I tried to convince them that we needed BEGINNING, MIDDLE, END... plus acting, planning, and really-really good effects... once the idea of story was pushed to the wayside I just committed myself to doing the very best I could with what we were going to see through to completion... that doesn't mean that I can't take criticism on my entry though... I've enjoyed the comments I got... especially the negative comments because the simple fact is... that for me anyway... I want this DVX thing to become MORE then a fun weekend... I want to eventually find a way into a real JOB doing this stuff... I mean a REAL JOB, not just odds and ends. So anyway... if you are anything like me then you're better off accepting criticism and super-high standards NOW. (see my plant referrence... g or d)

Okay now just so I don't end on a really negative note... I wish you could have seen me when I finally clicked the submit button on the entry form... at 11:40pm on the 15th... I looked like Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber... when he poured the super laxative in his friend's drink... I was laughing maniacally as I clicked the mouse that last time... Enjoy THIS f***ers! Bwaahahaha!:grin:
 
Here's the thing: when I say "negative comments" I don't mean constructive criticsm... I mean, "your film sucked". Sorry to say there has been some of that and the level or criticism from people in the know to the people not in the know has been abysmal IMHO.

I think a fairly sane, objective person knows that the problems of their project are and if they didn't after watching 80 other similarly themed movies, they should! But they may not have the know how to fix it. That is my point.

I'm ALL for criticism. Intelligent, thought out constructive criticism that people can learn from. I don't think (at least I hope not) no one will curl ip in a ball and die from constructive criticisms. I know I didn't. I was very appreciative!

-Robert
 
hey Chris,
It was an awesome contest! What I look forward to is seeing some of what these filmmakers do next to see who learned what....

I will admit, I definitely feel more secure in my writing. And as crazy as it sounds, I know I should be harsher on the technicalities of filmmaking but I just can't be (in terms of a contest like this, not necessarily something I'd pay money for). There are so many variables with technology (audio, lighting, etc.) that I think it takes awhile to find yourself and learn and get the hang of it.

With writing, however, the main thing I have no tolerance for is no formatting. That's a no brainer to me. Yet, I have been astounded to see how many scripts have no proper formatting!!! Writing, for me, is something I don't often think about...I just do it. I have been writing and tinkering with my dad's 8mm camera since I was a kid. When the camera died, I just kept writing! :laugh:

I guess my babble for me just means that I can forgive the less than desireable tech atrributes of a contest like this and grade on a learning curve, but learning the proper format to write a screenplay in is far easier than getting perfect sound and lighting first time out.

You don't have to apologize at all! Everyone has their own feelings, judgements, and criteria. That's one of the things I really liked about DVXuser when I signed up after I got the camera in March.

I live in Lyndhurst, by the Meadowlands. Still a NYC boy at heart (born and raised) but found I like the quiet and greenery of NJ as opposed to the NY suburbs I grew up in and now detest!

-Robert
 
.

.

Ought2BComitted:

I didn't have an expectation that everyone would view and critique my movie. My expectation was that 80 or so movies to watch was going to create a logistical nightmare for Barry and Jarred, and that was so. Those guys worked many extra hours trying to make it flow as well as possible, and be as fair as possible, but they simply didn't have the experience or resources necessary to make it so beforehand.

At the moment I write this, my clip's discussion thread is literally at the bottom of the collection of submission threads. Anyone with half a brain in their head (mmm. ..brains!) might conclude that my clip sucked. Ok, maybe.

But when I look over what few comments there are, I mostly got kudos for one aspect or other of the production. Hell, Barry said he gave it high marks. High praise indeed. So I got THAT goin' for me, which is Good.

And my commentary pattern was to read through everyone else's first, and if nobody said something that I wanted to point out, I made a comment. So I'm hoping that most of what was obvious about my own clip was spelled out in the ten posts that are there now. Whatever. When I show the clip to people who aren't involved with DVXUser at all, they laugh, pay attention through the whole thing, and tell me it was creepy. That's what I wanted to achieve.

I'm glad many of you took extra effort and watched all of the clips, and commented conscientiously and rigorously on each one. I'm happy for you, and envy your ability to devote time and attention to our babies. I remember when I was a student...

I certainly don't feel obligated to have watched all the entries. Tough break there; my obligations ended when I submitted an AVI which was 5 minutes or less, shot with the DVX in the time period specified, and contained at least one Undead entity.
 
Really, it doesn't matter if Francis Ford Coppola said he liked your movie or not. That was totally beside the point.

Its a shame you didn't feel any "obligation" to watch and vote for all of the films. Really, a damn shame. I wish I knew beforehand how little effort you were going to put into watching anc critiquing others before I bothered to watch yours and vote for it.

Oh well. Next time.

-R.
 
I work 12 hr shifts , I'd come home and watch a few before bed. I watched all 79 of them , I too became Zombied out. I even tried to comment on a few to the best of my abilities .
I feel everyone us put in a lot of effort into their films whether it showed or not . To say some may have been lazy , I really don't think so .

When we saw the deadline was moved , the kids and I decided to try and do a film . I had no idea what the hell I was doing .All I had was my camera and nothing else .
We had the last shoot all set for a Saturday . I took a day off without pay as did my oldest son. We were all set to go and .....all the Zombies didn't show ..Why ? because it was cloudy ..By 1 pm I was ready to toss in the towel ..Give up ..I was so F%^&&ing Pissed !!!!!. Around 3pm as my brother and I were sucking on a cold beer when one of my buddies I haven't seen in awhile shows up ..At 5 pm we were on our way to try and salvage this short .
Rob who should of been on his way to another function stayed till the end .
During this time my kids NEVER gave up on this short , Say's a lot for me doesn't it .
Many of us had NO SHOWS but we finished our shorts good or bad as they may have been .

To say the top 10 should be shown or whatever and the lesser quality shorts not be . EVERYONE was a beginner at sometime .
Sorry for the rant but I feel frustrated when it is suggested some of us may have been lazy in doing our films .
To all those that took the time to comment and offer advice etc on our films, I (we) ThankYou!!!!!!!!.
I for one had a lot of fun doing this as well as watching .........Ian
 
Now do you see why I said it's so much more fun watching the flicks after you know a little about the backstory? Thanks a lot arielman... now I gotta' go watch your freakin' flick... again.:beer:

Jeez... I couldn't find it for a minute there... all good now, sorry.:thumbsup:
 
Hey Matt

I have watched some of these shorts over many times and really appreciate the shorts once you read the threads first ...The first one that comes to mind was NBC's , if memory serves me right , he almost never made it .
I even enjoyed watching the bad ones and I'm sure mine is at the bottom ..lol ...cause somewhere in those flicks I saw an idea and thought HEY why didn't I think of that .
I was in such a hurry to send off my DVd that I really wish I had time to edit it before hand .
I'm sure watching these on DVD will be SOOOOOO much better ...
Clicking that button was a rush wasn't it .... then thinking ..what have I just done ..lmao
 
Back
Top