What's the Best price found for a XLH1?

After much searching on this, prices seem pretty much set on $8999.00 anywhere you go (legit places, anyway).

I bought mine's from B&H but was able to get a corporate discount from one of the higher up people there ...
 
Thanks Galvin. That really sucks! If I go the H1 I have to spend another 1,300 hundred for the 16x manual lens because I hate the free spinners!

Well if I do go for the H1 it's 8k or less. Truth is if Canon was competitive and sold these at 6,500, they would gobble up a lot more of the market very fast.

B&H had it for 8,499 at some point!


Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
PappasArts & Arrfilms Main site
CONTACT VIA AOL INSTANT MESSENGER
AT { PAPPASARTS2 }
XLH1 and HVX200 frame grabs and news here:
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
http://www.PappasArts.com
http://www.Myspace.com/PappasArts




mgalvan said:
After much searching on this, prices seem pretty much set on $8999.00 anywhere you go (legit places, anyway).

I bought mine's from B&H but was able to get a corporate discount from one of the higher up people there ...
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I was very surprised when B&H lowered the price. I had been told by Canon that all dealers everywhere were *required* to sell it at $8999 and not one penny less.

Looks like B&H might have gotten their wrists slapped for lowering the price because they're back at $8999.

I doubt you're going to find it for any less anywhere. Maybe you could work a deal where they give you a really low price on the manual lens or something as a package, but for the XLH1 it's a requirement (or at least it was) that they not discount it even a penny.
 
Barry, the price is over inflated IMHO. I forgot to mention that since HDV is an acquisition only format for me, if I were to get the H1 I would either have to get the Blackmagic or AJA card adding another 700 to 1,300 to the cost to capture HDV playback via SDI into either card for realtime conversion into 1080 DVCproHD. So it becomes 11K easy with Cards and 16x lens. That's two HVX's or HD100's for god sakes!!! I like Canon, however if JVC can do it in the 5K range, Canon could have done the same thing.

Barry have you ever worked with the 60gig P2 reader? What's the chance in seeing that drop below a grand.



Barry_Green said:
Yeah, I was very surprised when B&H lowered the price. I had been told by Canon that all dealers everywhere were *required* to sell it at $8999 and not one penny less.

Looks like B&H might have gotten their wrists slapped for lowering the price because they're back at $8999.

I doubt you're going to find it for any less anywhere. Maybe you could work a deal where they give you a really low price on the manual lens or something as a package, but for the XLH1 it's a requirement (or at least it was) that they not discount it even a penny.
 
Last edited:
No chance anytime soon. I don't think it's designed to be marketed to us end users; I think it's designed specifically for network shooters.

I'm hoping they'll introduce a larger/less expensive one, but that's just a hope, I have no reason to expect that they're actually working on anything like that.
 
Jack_Felis said:
Also consider that no other camera in its price range has HD-SDI, yes, it is that big a deal.

Having finally read comments from the pixelmonger, Scott Billups would seem to concur. The Jackpack is the feature that tipped me. It puts the H1 in a whole new realm of possibilities, but at the end of the day, the HDV is very good. I've tested SDI to DV100 with the Kona, and also rolled HDV, and compared the two with the same material. Very hard to discern a difference, (and sometimes the HDV actually looks better) even with fast moving objects. The only thing I've found that can stress the codec (ever so slightly) is rippling water scenes. But it's negligble at best. If you want to watch a movie with a magnification lens...it's not ideal. But we are talking about moving images...right? Still, if you have a codec challenging scene, there's always the live SDI to tap, which is pristine and motion-artifact free.
 
Last edited:
mmm said:
Isn't this price fixing by Canon? In the UK, that is very illegal. Not so in the US?
From my understanding, yes it is and yes it should be. However, Canon's not the only one who does it. The entire Saturn network of car dealerships was launched under the notion that there would never be any haggling, all cars would be sold strictly at MSRP. And Bose, IINM, requires all dealers to adhere strictly to MSRP.

The whole "MAP" concept was supposed to address this; it was to let the manufacturers protect their perceived value (by limiting their dealers to a "minimum advertised price", or MAP); while allowing the dealers to sell at whatever they felt like. So there's MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price); there's the MAP (minimum advertised price), and then there's the real price the dealer is willing to sell at.

Sometimes on B&H you'll see "ask for a better price"; in those cases it's because B&H is willing to sell below MAP, but their franchise/dealer agreement requires them to not advertise below MAP.

But that's a different issue from price fixing. I don't know if it's legal or not, but even if it isn't, Canon's not the only one who does it.
 
mmm said:
Isn't this price fixing by Canon? In the UK, that is very illegal.
Have you heard of the Oppenheimer family or Diamond Trading Company? Price fixing is very much accepted in England! There's a really good book by Edward Jay Epstein called, "The Diamond Invention" that you may want to check out.
 
Last edited:
thisiswells said:
Have you heard of the Oppenheimer family or Diamond Trading Company? Price fixing is very much accepted in England! There's a really good book by Edward Jay Epstein called, "The Diamond Invention" that you may want to check out.

De Beers were actually fined a year or two ago for that.

Has anyone complained about this in the US? I took it up with a dealer in the UK and they said that they actually could give me a discount... I didn't really want to buy the camera, I was just testing.
 
Here's how I understand it, but I could be wrong, better minds are free to correct me... When one company sets a price for their product it's not really what we in the States call "price fixing", I mean it is but not as it's usually thought of for legal purposes. When two or more companies in collusion establish a price for their near identical products then it IS price fixing as we usually think of it.

So if I'm Shell Oil and I establish a price for my gas at all my stations of $5 per gallon, technically that's not really price fixing. However if I call over to BP and we agree to BOTH sell our gas at $5 per gallon, then it is price fixing. The theory being that if only one of us is charging an outrageous price for our product, then market forces will take over and consumers, if they so desire, will be able to freely purchase the lower cost alternative. But if we fix the market in order to screw the consumer, essentially holding the consumer hostage, then that's a no no.

Matt
 
Hi Matt. If the manufacturer and the retailers are part of the same company, then the situation is simplified and your example would be more accurate. However, in this case, Canon are forcing their retailers to sell to the public at whatever price Canon dictates. In effect, there is collusion between all the retailers to fix the price, and this is supposed to be illegal. As Barry says, though, Canon is not the only company doing it.

Richard Hunter
 
jaegersing said:
Hi Matt. If the manufacturer and the retailers are part of the same company, then the situation is simplified and your example would be more accurate. However, in this case, Canon are forcing their retailers to sell to the public at whatever price Canon dictates. In effect, there is collusion between all the retailers to fix the price, and this is supposed to be illegal. As Barry says, though, Canon is not the only company doing it.

Richard Hunter

Canon has every right to require dealers to stick with a particular price... that's not price fixing in the legal sense. The dealers, as a condition of having the privilege of being a dealer, voluntarily agree to do so in order to avoid price wars. If they don't their dealership can be revoked. This is a big benefit to small dealers.

If it was illegal Canon, Apple etc. would get slammed with a class action lawsuit. I don't see any lawsuits pending. It's almost silly to sit here and seriously argue that it's illegal. Do you guys really think these companies - with all their lawyers - would blatantly break the law in such an overt way? It defies reason.

Price fixing requires collusion between normally competing companies. Canon dealers are salespeople FOR Canon.
 
Last edited:
Say it aint so .... I'll be mad if it is indeed true as I just bought mine ...

I have done business with Adorama and they are very legit. I would think its real ...
 
I noticed that the warranty offered with this deal is from Adorama rather than Canon. Looks like it might be a parallel import, for what that's worth.

Richard Hunter
 
Definitely not price fixing.

Definitely not price fixing.

Hello,

Joelnet and Mattc have this right on the money. This is not price fixing by Canon nor Apple. Mattc's example is spot on, and Joelnet sums it up really well with the last statement on that post.
 
Back
Top