What's the best LOW-LIGHT IS lens for FS700 + Speedbooster ?

Are you asking what is the best e-mount low-light lens, or what's the best low-light lens that works with the Speedbooster adapter? What mount does your adapter support? Nikon?
You're question is not easy to answer because the best lens is whatever lens is appropriate for your particular shooting needs at that time. For example, are you shooting sports car racing at night? If so, you might want to look at a 70-200 f2.8 lens. Interior shots? The Nikkor 28mm f1.4 is an extraordinary lens. All depends on what mount your adapter is converting from and what you shooting needs are.

You're going to have to provide more information in order to receive an appropriate answer, although it's really people's personal opinions in most cases.

Dave
 
Are you asking what is the best e-mount low-light lens, or what's the best low-light lens that works with the Speedbooster adapter? What mount does your adapter support? Nikon?
You're question is not easy to answer because the best lens is whatever lens is appropriate for your particular shooting needs at that time. For example, are you shooting sports car racing at night? If so, you might want to look at a 70-200 f2.8 lens. Interior shots? The Nikkor 28mm f1.4 is an extraordinary lens. All depends on what mount your adapter is converting from and what you shooting needs are.

You're going to have to provide more information in order to receive an appropriate answer, although it's really people's personal opinions in most cases.

Dave

As the question was FS700 AND Speedbooster, it would be EF for the Speedbooster. I bought a Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM lens, which is a nice lens but doesn't work with the speedbooster (no iris control)

So EF mount please. Low light indoors/outdoors, not sports.

I was given this link but I can't get it working > http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BM3
 
Fastest stabilized ef lens is the one you have. Other stabilized ef lenses are f2.8, which even when speedboosted are slower than the emount stabilized primes.
 
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM IF THESE LENSES WORK WITH THE METABONES SPEEDBOOSTER PLEASE...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554036-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXN_11_16mm_f_2_8_AT_X_116.html

And which one of these top two Samyang 35mm ??

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=samyang+35mm&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=


Thanks

Tokina 11-16 will not work on the Speedbooster. It is made for a cropped sensor, so if you put it on the Speedbooster you'll get a black circle all around the image. I would get the Samyang (same brand as Rokinon) 35mm Cine. It's geared for follow focus, it has manual aperture ring. I have the Rokinon 35mm Cine and it's a great lens. Now, one downside is that it doesn't have image stabilization.

Do you need IS? Or just a really fast lens? Can't really have both.

Also, the first link you posted (metabones link) is to the non-Speedbooster EF to NEX adapter... Why did you post that?
 
The Sigma 18-35 will NOT work with the Speedbooster. The Speedbooster requires a full-frame lens. If you see something like "Designed for APS-C sized sensors" in the description, it won't work.

Personally, I'd stay away from E mount lenses. Not that they are bad, I just prefer to keep my options open. I buy Nikon lenses because I can use them on almost any camera. I can use them on Canons, Sonys, RED, etc. Buy an E-mount lens essentially limits you to only E-mount, the flange is too short to be adapted to other mounts.

Wide and fast are two things that will be hard to get together. Your best bet would be something like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843008-USA/Canon_5175B002_EF_24_70mm_f_2_8L_II.html

It's 24-70 f/2.8, no IS, but on the Speedbooster, you're essentially getting a 17-50 f/2.0 (cropped equuivalent). Similar to some of the other lenses out there (Canon makes a 17-55 f/2.8) but it's a stop faster.

If you are shooting low-light, go for the Rokinon Cine prime lenses. They make a 24mm T1.5 and 35mm T1.5. If you need a lens that has zoom range, you've got no choice but to lose a stop or two of light.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned with whether or not you can keep a shot in focus at T1.0.

What situations are you in that require nearly see-in-the-dark lenses? There will always be a situation that a lens isn't fast enough.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that the $2300 Canon 24-70 is currently $2000 in the cart, and has a $200 mail in rebate. So it's only $1799 right now. Pretty great deal.
 
Last edited:
Tokina 11-16 will work with the speedbooster but only from 14mm onwards. There is another thread wherein an user has tested and reported their experience. If you search in the forum, you will find that post.
 
Thanks for that very informative and helpful reply. I almost bought the 18-35 Sigma today, so you saved me a headache for sure. I'm aware of the Canon lenses as a lot of photographer friends have them. I like the 24-70 but don't want to spend that much. The 18-200mm kits lens is good for daytime use. I film a lot of DJs in small dark clubs, so need something wide and fast. I was using a 50mm Sigma which went down to f1.3 and could see great and I had no problem holding focus. Although the lens just wasn't wide enough and it was so frustrating. So the 24mm T.15 might be the answer then?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/890625-REG/Rokinon_cv24m_c_24mm_T1_5_CINE_ED.html
 
Thanks for that very informative and helpful reply. I almost bought the 18-35 Sigma today, so you saved me a headache for sure. I'm aware of the Canon lenses as a lot of photographer friends have them. I like the 24-70 but don't want to spend that much. The 18-200mm kits lens is good for daytime use. I film a lot of DJs in small dark clubs, so need something wide and fast. I was using a 50mm Sigma which went down to f1.3 and could see great and I had no problem holding focus. Although the lens just wasn't wide enough and it was so frustrating. So the 24mm T.15 might be the answer then?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/890625-REG/Rokinon_cv24m_c_24mm_T1_5_CINE_ED.html

Honestly, if you're pairing it with the Speedbooster, I'd go with the 35mm Rokinon Cine. That will give you about a 24mm "full frame" equivalent field of view when you put it on the Speedbooster. That's close to a perfect focal length, in my opinion. It's wide enough that you can take a few steps back for a wide shot but it's tight enough that if you want to take a few steps closer for a close-up, you won't get crazy wide-angle distortion.
 
Honestly, if you're pairing it with the Speedbooster, I'd go with the 35mm Rokinon Cine. That will give you about a 24mm "full frame" equivalent field of view when you put it on the Speedbooster. That's close to a perfect focal length, in my opinion. It's wide enough that you can take a few steps back for a wide shot but it's tight enough that if you want to take a few steps closer for a close-up, you won't get crazy wide-angle distortion.

Hey Josh. Thanks for the info. I went for the set. 24, 35 & 85mm. So at least I have some flexibility when shooting low-light. 24mm will give me around 17mm. But will it have distortion?

I like the kit lens in good light. It's not a bad lens.
 
I repeat, Tokina 11-16mm work very well on nex-fs100 and speedbooster from 13.5 o 16 mm without lenshood please test lens before write on forum.
It is an excellente lens and there is an new version2.
 
I've been very curious on how the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC performs with the speed booster. There is one sample on YouTube but it's not very telling. A stabilized f2 24-70 is very tempting. Also, the Tokina 11-16 has severe vignetting zoomed out all the way on a full frame sensor but it's pretty much eliminated at 16mm, so I'd suspect it would behave the same way with the speed booster.
 
I've been very curious on how the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC performs with the speed booster. There is one sample on YouTube but it's not very telling. A stabilized f2 24-70 is very tempting. Also, the Tokina 11-16 has severe vignetting zoomed out all the way on a full frame sensor but it's pretty much eliminated at 16mm, so I'd suspect it would behave the same way with the speed booster.

I work a lot with the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC on my fs700 with speedbooster. Its a nice sharp lens. A little heavier than the canon L equivalent f4 but yeah its also faster and from the tests i've seen a little sharper, but I could be wrong about that. None the less, it is a sharp and fast lens with IS (VC) isnt the lightest out of the bunch but there isnt alot of lenses that have all of those features..

When it comes to the Tokina it does work, at 15 something you go to a weird fisheye/wideangle with crop. I used it to make a door peephole effect, it worked out quite nicely.
 
Last edited:
I work a lot with the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC on my fs700 with speedbooster. Its a nice sharp lens. A little heavier than the canon L equivalent f4 but yeah its also faster and from the tests i've seen a little sharper, but I could be wrong about that. None the less, it is a sharp and fast lens with IS (VC) isnt the lightest out of the bunch but there isnt alot of lenses that have all of those features..

When it comes to the Tokina it does work, at 15 something you go to a weird fisheye/wideangle with crop. I used it to make a door peephole effect, it worked out quite nicely.

That's good to hear! You may have sold me on the speed booster. Do you have any samples with this combo you could post publicly?
 
Back
Top