what should i buy.

kezza

Active member
hey guys.

im a newbie when it comes to handycams.
Im looking at buying a XL2 or a Sony HDV.

Which one would be the best for me.
(looking at filming surf films and other drama shots.)

any info would be great. and if any of u guys have some footage of either the XL2 or the HDV sony. could u post. thanks.
:thumbsup:
 
Hard question. It seems to me that you want to record only some real-life footage shots. That means you should get rather small camera with fast focus, big lcd screen and definetely light.

IF you want to go into whole HDV stuff sony will be great but you have no media to distribute HD so it's kind of a strange thing right know. XL2 will give you great performance and native 16/9 shots. Also it will give you great film-look. BUT it is heavy, it doesn't have lcd screen (besides this strange thing on viewfinder which is a bit odd...) and Canon's focus isn't working so fast as Sony's which is a bit anoying when you're filming something moving fast...

So I think the best solution for you will be dvx100a. It's light, it gives great image (and you will be able to shot live-footage and also indie films with it). + it's cheap now.

If you want to consider xl2 here is a link:
http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html
//lot of stuff there

//I don't have links for fx1/z1u footage but it's on the net, you just have to search for it (warning! those full resolution hdv shots are extremly big!)

//dvx100a shots are everywhere around this board. Just click on "Screen Grabs / Clips of DVX footage "

Good luck!
 
I disagree and would go with the XL2. BIG SUPRISE!! LOL! But seriously, I often recommend the DVX and maybe it can be adapted for what you want to do, but here is my thinking.

I was learning to surf down in Maui and there were guys filming the action with an older XL1s. They were shooting from shore but they used the EF adapter with a large Canon 35mm lens and they were able to get right on top of the action. If you're familiar with Maui and where the waves break, then you know how much reach you would need from shore to get right in on someone. For this reason, I would go with the XL2. HD is not such a concern to me right now and I'd much rather have the reach (for surfing, or nature stuff) than the extra resolution, especially after seeing how Disjecta uprezzed his SD footage using photozoom (you can check that thread out in the Technical section - it's a sticky thread at the top).

[EDIT: As far as the focus goes, Canon's is slow in 24p but so is everyones, you'll probably be focused to infinity anyway with a camera lens. As for an lcd, you just get one that goes on the hotshoe, and then you can have one that actually shows what you're shooting in 16:9 as opposed to watching a squeezed version in 4:3. Also, Canon's OIS is the **** if you're going handheld, but you'll probably be on a tripod on shore.]

Matt
 
HandyCam? Damn Noob.

I would think for filming Surfing to take Matt's advice. You can outfit the XL2 with the longer lenses and get some great shots from shore. The DVX is always the better choice ( you love me Matt ) but not when it comes to getting that critical zoom.
 
..lol, yeah man drop the "handy cam" talk or well change your avatar to a short bus.

id go for the Xl2 for reasons already mentioned. the zoom mainly. just for the surfing. for anything else dramatic id lean more towards the DVX. but you could always thow a teleconverter oin the DVX.. anyway .. xl2 sounds like a good choice.
 
Yeah.. I must admit. 20x zoom is a great advantage...

But still if I'm doing documentaries I'm taking my friends pd170. Easier to use in crowded enviroments...

//btw. I didn't want to come out as a dvxlover. I owned xl1s, own xl2 and will probably own xl3... It was just an unexpected wave of panny love :)
 
I would definitely go with the XL2. For a few reasons, 1. The xl2 has much better quality picture, 2 the xl2 comes standard with a 20x zoom, and you can buy my two favorites, the wide angle lens and the manual, 3 If you really wanna go into hd there is a possibility that canon will create an upgrade to hd for old and new xl2 users. So all around it is a better choice, oh yeah and the sound options are great, plus the 24p footage on the hdv looks like ****.
 
You know I love you John. DVX or HVX is in my future, I'm sure, but as you and I talked about privately, for a lot of what I do, I need REACH...

Navitas, forget the 20X zoom, that won't even get you good shots if the waves are breaking a hundred or two hundred yards out. But put that EF adapter on the camera and throw on a 70 to 300 zoom lens and you're catching the sweat on their brow if you want. That's the whole point of the camera really. I don't believe it was ever developed with the indie filmmaker in mind. But something like this? It's exactly what the camera was designed for.
 
navitas said:
Yeah.. I must admit. 20x zoom is a great advantage...
My guess is JH was referring to the use of canon's EOS adapter which allows (in XL2 lens terms) something on par with a 40x - 60x range or even higher with a photographic telephoto lens connected to the XL series camcorder. That's an obvious advantage that while mostly for wildlife can be useful for any situation when you need a telescope type reach from your camcorder. Great suggestion, John.
 
thisiswells said:
Great suggestion, John.

What am I invisible????

Damn, Hudson always gets the credit...

[Sideshow Bob Voice, shaking fist] "You'll rue the day Hudson!!!"
 
Way To Go!!

Way To Go!!

MattC said:
What am I invisible???? ... Damn, Hudson always gets the credit...
By referencing the date/time stamp, it appears we were both typing at the same time.
Just so happens you're a quicker typer than me. So...

Fast Fingers, MattC! How is that for an unnecessary compliment?!
 
Well im sorry about the "HANDYCAM" reMark..

It looks like most of you would recommened the XL2 over any other camera atm.
Do any of you have photos of the dvx? and the xl2...
I won't be shooting shots to fair away, so i won't need the 35mm wide lens.
I want a camera that gives me great rez' and colour. i wanna make shoot movies and dvd's.
but the only down side i can see on the xl2 is.. NO LCD screen!!!
if any of u have any grabs from one of these cameras i would love to see them.
thanks again
Kezza :thumbsup:
 
kezza said:
but the only down side i can see on the xl2 is.. NO LCD screen!!!

So what - In your first post you mentioned shooting surf films.... You will not be using an LCD screen shooting those bright outdoor shots anyway. In fact, you'll want to upgrade the stock viewfinder to the hi-res B&W finder....
 
Sirius_Doggy said:
So what - In your first post you mentioned shooting surf films.... You will not be using an LCD screen shooting those bright outdoor shots anyway. In fact, you'll want to upgrade the stock viewfinder to the hi-res B&W finder....


ummm. ok. i still want one tho. cause i plan to shoot some snow as well and i wanna be able to hold and move toegther.

any grabs ppl.

have any of u seen the video (sessions 1245) ockley film?
love the look of that.

and why do i have to up-grade the viewfinder??? :undecided
 
Kezza

Follow the qualified suggestions here and then reach into your heart for a decision. In any case, if you decide to buy an XL2, I have a very good brand new LCD monitor I can sell you for $200.00 (it originally cost over $500.00) so don't sweat it if the cam doesn't come with one.

e-mail: video_guys1@hotmail.com
 
kezza said:
...i wanna make shoot movies...

By Short Films do you mean Narrative Short Films? Or are you implying "Short Surf Videos"?

If by any chance you mean SHORT FILMS I'd get a DVX in a second.

(Let the manic confusion start)
 
It's a tough call what to buy right now. No 16x9 on the DVX, XL2 has everything but does not have a great form factor and is still old-school SD, Z1 has uber compression.

FYI, Dell has 25% off Canon Camcorders right now with a web coupon. That's about 3700.00 bucks on an XL2

If someone put a gun to my head right now I guess I'd buy a Z1. Especially if your are not planning a film blowup.

But a used 2/3" chip sony or panny or ikegami might work too.

good luck!

ZZ
 
Back
Top