What I learned this fest

1. Really, REALLY try to find a few people to help out on the next fest
2. Stay off the power line roads
3. Stand clear of the running Llama
 
1. I don't function as well on 1 hour of sleep as I do on 3 hours.
2. I don't function as well on 3 hours of sleep as I do on 4 hours.
3. I like having an experienced crew who is passionate about making films even when it requires not sleeping!!!!!!!
 
Don't put your faith in a crew member whose flaked out on you in the past because he seems to have, "CHANGED".
 
What I learned this fest:

1) The boom operator should always listen on the headphones. The boom should always be placed as close as possible. This means telling him what to do. I shouldn't be nice - I should just tell people what they need to do.

2) Pickup shots, pickup shots, pickup shots. Can never shoot enough "stuff" in a location.

3) Really cold conditions can have adverse effects on the acting.

4) You really don't have to edit to match actions. If we did, 2 hour movies would only be 2 hours long.

5) ADR can be your friend.

6) Don't shoot a dialogue scene because "I might need it". Trust your instincts. If it doesn't push the story, cut it.

7) Sound is 70% of what you see. Do it right.

8) If you're shooting outside, be quick, and white balance every shot.

9) A location may LOOK quiet, but you don't really know until you test it with your supersensitive microphone that shows you how you can hear the interstate from that supposedly peaceful setting.

10) Food has a glorious effect on everyone - cast, crew, even the director. Tasty food makes everyone very happy.
 
I learned that lighting is NOT such an easy thing to accomplish as I thought before. Good lighting+a guy who knows to use it properly is neccesary.

Planning in advance, doing test shots so actors can see themselves also helps. (it IS my first film so...)

AND, the most important is the directing itself-tell them what you want, do not 'let it go' just because they're tired and all. It solves the whola lotta problems while editing.

That's the magic of filmmaking; as much all individuals are creative and briliant, team work is neccesary to accomplish the final product in it's best form. I always try to imagine how it would be to put Lav Nikolajevich Tolstoj, Edgar Allan Poe and James Joyce so they can together write a book.

It would be a creative mess and mess itself, and though writing is a lot different than filmmaking, it's not even exaggerating, it's realistic comparison.
 
for me.. next time:

- have more than a crew of 2. (+ watching two kids. 5 and 11 months)
- have a sound guy full time with cans monitoring at all times. (post work & ADR sux)
- don't start a film a week before the deadline. :)

/j
 
Wasn't she in 'Little Big Man'? I didn't know she was still hanging around movie sets.

No, that was Sitting Bull!

Side note: I just heard that the owners of said Llama got rid of the beast! It kept escaping (smart bugger) and the Sheriffs had been called one too many times. So, please...a moment of silence for the Llama.:(
 
1) Sound operators must know what they are doing. And proper levels must be insured. If not - sound needs to tell us to take it again.

2) Camera operators need to call cut or take the shot again when a boom or other equipment enter the shot. And not say, we are good. Let's move on.

3) 35mm adapters need to be powered on in order to work correctly.

4) 35mm adapters should never be brought on set without proper training by camera department despite the DoP wanting one.

5) If using a jib, be sure all bolts are included.

6) Rented cameras can and will go down on set.

7) 25 sandbags will not hold down a tent build on Cstands in high wind.

8) HMIs throw a great deal of light, and heat.

9) Permits will take weeks to go through proper channels and will inevitably be turned down.

10) Even a great visual effects team is powerless working with subpar footage.

11) 35mm adapters are more hassle then they are worth, IMHO.

12) Sound files can only be fixed so much in post. Even on a ProTools system.

13) Without sound, ADR is impossible.

14) This project was destined to fail.

15) If you are going to do something, do it right - or don't do it at all.
 
1) Sound operators must know what they are doing. And proper levels must be insured. If not - sound needs to tell us to take it again.

12) Sound files can only be fixed so much in post. Even on a ProTools system.

15) If you are going to do something, do it right - or don't do it at all.

Amen to that! I'd like to add another one:

- Watch "Sound for Film and Television". Worth every penny.
 
Eh, I would - what I should have done was gotten a better sound operator. I am trained in sound recording and mixing. Granted I hate doing it, but I am good at it. The final mix I don't mind as much. It's the location sound I dislike. But I failed in getting a capable sound recordist. Another inherent issue with working with students. It's hit or miss. And despite the fact they say they know what to do, getting levels back at -96dB means they don't know what they were doing. And every sound file from the first day was about 5 seconds long.

And another one I can add.

16) Everything that can go wrong will go wrong on set. MAKE CONTINGENCY PLANS

17) Despite what the people at the catering department say in Wegmans, you cannot order a pizza in the seafood department, nor at the salad bar, nor the bakery.

18) Hiring a driver is one of the best allocations of funds that is overlooked.

19) Talent should never touch tripod plates wondering what they do. The camera then becomes a disaster waiting to happen.

20) One should never produce and direct at the same time.

21) Pre-production should occur several weeks in advanced. Not even stripboards can keep a film on schedule when equipment failures plague the set.

22) Don't be hesitant to 'fire' a crew member for talking back, wasting time, being overly aggressive, or complaining openly about the set to talent bring set moral down.

23) Learn from every mistake you make and don't repeat them.
 
1) if someone says you shouldn't do that - say who should?
2) for short films with no dialogue - a "beat sheet" is all you need
3) think about what the character is FEELING at every moment and adapt your shot/lighting scheme accordingly
4) you have to love movies to make movies
5) starting a week and a half before the deadline can only lead to complications - but ultimately a more memorable experience
6) going to film school is the life - shoot your buddy's movie in brooklyn from 5am to 2pm, plan your movie until 9pm, shoot till 3am, edit till 5am. ... repeat.... hahga
 
I could care less for storyboards, but I should have made a shot list of some kind. Scribbles on a
piece of paper would have sufficed. Either way next time I'm making a SHOT LIST.
 
Second time I learned this lesson-

Buy, rent, steal, build? an OVERSCAN PRODUCTION MONITOR, especially when using a 35mm adapter.
 
Back
Top