what do "2K windowed" and "2K scaled" mean?

shaun_au

Active member
Sorry if this sounds a dum question to ask. This 2k windowed and 2k scaled terms have been showing up on this forum a lot lately. But I really want to know what they really mean. How they compare against each other. Also, what are their effects on using 35mm SLR lenses? I think there'll be a time I shoot 2k just to have a high frame rate. Then I'd like to know what are the pros and cons. Thanks.
 
2K scaled = captures using the full S35mm sensor, then scales resolution to 2K
2K windowed = captures a smaller S16mm window from the middle of the sensor natively at 2K.

I'll leave the other questions alone for now.
 
By shooting 2k windowed you are using less of the sensor as Brook indicates. You can therefore ramp up the fps (max 120fps at present according to Red website - subject to change I dare say though). The camera can handle the higher framerate because it is passing less data for each frame, this is the primary advantage of 2k windowed. 2k scaled means that you can archive your 4k footage even if you are only going to output the final project at 2k. If you aren't needing the high frame rates you would typically shoot 4k and scale, but if the lenses you were using were S16mm you would want to shoot 2k windowed to have a similar look and feel as 4k with S35mm, if you shot 4k with S16mm lenses you would have a large border or the detail (DoF, FoV etc) from the lense would not be relevant to an equivilent 35mm lense.

The Pros therefore are 2k windowed gives you faster fps, 2k scaled gives you a 4k archive, and if you choose to go the S16mm route and shoot 2k windowed your lenses will be slightly cheaper, your post will be a bit easier to work with but you won't have the 4k archive, but for slo-mo shots the S16mm lense and 2k windowed would likely be the best route - Unless you can shoot 120fps 4k S35mm to an off board RAID - I don't know if this has been confirmed either way yet, I know it is expected you can shoot 60fps in this manner.

35mm SLR Lenses would work better at 4k if I'm not mistaken, If you shot windowed you would lose alot of what the lense is seeing as it crops the information. 16mm would give better results.

(I think this is all right, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on anything)
 
Back
Top