what cam to buy

carlandniv

New member
Ok, I am a new member here and I am seeking some advice. I am a working musician (oxy-moron) who has recently started filming local bands. Right now I use a Canon hv20 and a Panasonic pv-gs300. For a third cam I have been hiring a local guy with a Canon Xl2. The time has come for me to add my own third cam. I don't have a ton of dough to play with, so here is what I'm looking at. A dvx100bp for $1100. A gl2 for $600. An XL1 for $700. A Sony FX1 for $1900 or a Canon xha1 for $1800. The last two would really stretch my budget and possibly lead to my sleeping in the garage. I edit in FCP in sd right now. Is it insane to go with a sd cam? I make very little money from the shoots I do (mostly friends bands and nephews cart racing). I would go with another hv20, but want a cam that looks more pro. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 
"add a matte box"

Are you sure you need a third camera? If so, I'd rule out the GL2 and XL1. I've had both, and the DVX surpassed them. I worked very little with the FX1, but if the A1 is $100 less, I'd definitely go with the A1. I don't have experience with the XHA1. However I've done my research on it, and the footage will match very well with the hv20.

Don't worry so much about "looking pro" than "delivering pro" ... there's some guys on this site that have made some KILLER stuff with the hv20. It's a good little camera. They've done more on that small camera than some have done with some of the higher end cameras.

I'm not sure that buying SD is the BEST idea, but if that's what you're delivering, it's not a bad idea. Just because a camera isn't as new as it used to be doesn't mean it's any less of a camera than it was when it was released.

I'm not quite sure of your talent, but instead of buying a third camera, I suggest buying some books / dvds / etc that will train you on the ones that you have.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar.
 
Thanks Hawk. All good points for sure. I guess I don't "need" a third camera, but I am paying $150 each time I hire the third shooter. The third angle has made such an impression on my "clients" I really want to keep offering it. Being fairly green, I only charge between three and five hundred dollars per shoot. I do have two shoots in the next two weeks though and hate to pay $300, when thats 1/4 the cost of buying my own cam. I assume the dvx would match up fairly well with the pv-gs300 too. I guess no matter which way I go, there is a valid argument I should have went the other.
 
If you're going to go SD, get a DVX. I have the XHA1, and it's a great camera, but if you're shooting standard def, then the two cameras are very similar. HD is the main difference.
 
Back
Top