We've waited long enough!

Green Hornet

Veteran
It seems as if most are going to love Panasonics new cameras.
Most "say" they will pull out the credit card regardless of price.
I even feel that way, but know that when the moment of truth presents itself, I will be think of all the things I can buy with $10,000 if it ends up being that much.

My thought has always been that there will be 3 cameras priced at:
$10,000,
$5,000
$3,000

The super 8 looking one the cheapest, the HDX200 being the $5,000 camera, and the $10,000 being the one with both tape and P2 in a shoulder mount design/size.

I feel, from observing lack of sales of other systems, and from listening to many, that a lot of camera purchases have been put off awaiting for Panasonics debut.

My question to the group is:
If Panasonic does not come available in the price you had hoped for, what other camcorder would you opt for.

The Xl2's have been hit pretty hard by the whole HD craze, I expect them to be obtainable in the $3,200 range new by June. After NAB, there will be an abundance of used DVX100a's out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go in the $2,000 range.

The thought of a SD 2/3 camcorder being within reach of the masses, also seems very tempting. (I think the alure of a 2/3 camcorder is only apreciated after one has actually used one. I never thought I would ever want one untill actually using it, now 1/3 never really even looks good to me)


What will you spend your money on?
 
That's the $5,000 or less question!! If the DVX100a was just native 16:9 I'd just wait on the HD for awhile.
 
I am currently looking around the US$5k range, and if they can't get that, then I will probably move to the JVC (After reviews of course). I do not like HDV that much, but seeing as I want to go HiDef, I would probably get one. I hate Sony so I don't generally buy their gear and the Z1 doesn't do true progressive, so not even worth considering for me. And Canon, well they've just really been a bit of a joke with the Xl2 - I've lost any loyalty I had with them from my XM2.

Aaron
 
I don't think the JVC will be 5k either. Honestly, it's just asking too much. The XL2 MSRP is 4,999 and is SD only. The HD100 is like a XL2 + a HD camera in one. Honestly, I would not expect either HVX or HD100 to come at lower than 7k. And that would be a great deal already. If you can't affoard that, there's always the DVX100a.
 
3 Cameras huh? I don't think so. That would create too much market confusion and instead of selling ALOT of one camera, the sales would be mediocre across the board for 3 seperate cameras. It doesn't make sense. As far as the *Super 8* model....have you missed Jan saying about 100 times.....THE SUPER 8 WAS A MOCKUP!! It is not a final design. The HVX200 will be in the form factor of the DVX. ~reservoir~
 
Mediacre said:
I would not expect either HVX or HD100 to come at lower than 7k. And that would be a great deal already..
HVX shouldn't go over 5k. Remember you are paying a lot for the P2 cards.
Mediacre said:
If you can't affoard that, there's always the DVX100a.
You can affoard the HVX but can you affoard the P2 cards?
 
Mediacre said:
I just don't get people hoping for miracles., that's all.

EXACTLY!! Hell, let's just make it $699 with a rebate and 1/2 off a new MAC to edit everything on!! Panasonic are great, but they're not Miracle workers, nor are they stupid. It's called running a business!! The theory in general has been to provide good products or services at a price where you can maximize profits. Let's get real and accept the fact this camera will be 4,999+. If you go ahead and realize this, you won't be too shocked when the 6-7k price is announced!! ~reservoir~
 
Mediacre said:
I just don't get people hoping for miracles., that's all.
It has nothing to do with miracles. The JVC will cost ~6k euros. The HVX should with 2 P2 cards cost the same. If it will cost the same ~6k without P2 card than JVC has 1st. priority on my list. Remember the P2 card is a trap. If you buy a HVX than you are forced to buy an other P2 card, an other one and an other one, etc. Don't hope cheaper P2 cards. If they come out with bigger P2 cards than the other the 4 gig, 8 gig etc will disappear. It means you have to pay the same prise for a bigger card but you have to pay.
 
I think Panasonic still has a few aces up its sleeves, so I wouldn't discount it yet. How can anybody make a descision without first knowing the facts. Just because we don't know the whole deal about how video will be stored on this camera doesn't mean that we should make un educated guesses.
There is only a few weeks left people, just let it come. It will happen.
 
SergejIvanovits said:
The JVC will cost ~6k euros. The HVX should with 2 P2 cards cost the same.

Says who? One is DV25 and the other can record at DV25, DV50 and DV100. How would that make them the same price?
 
All I know is that if I pay10K the camera better be street ready with no extra purchases needed (only options). The P2 slots better be filled for that price. Otherwise the JVC look good. I'm prepaired to pay 10K but not 12 or 14K. I've been prepaired to pay 10k since they annouced the price last year.

No matter what the camera has got to have great performance at 20 lux with no gain for me. I'm sure it will, but you never know...
 
Terry_Lasater said:
Says who? One is DV25 and the other can record at DV25, DV50 and DV100. How would that make them the same price?
Because it is business. If I invest more than I have to earn more. With a Z1E I know what I get payed and what my productions costs are. With a JVC I know what it costs to shoot. But just right now I need at least 3 P2 cards and someone to transfer the data to the disk to have a seamless workflow and nobody payees me more.

I'm not a filmmaker, I'm a money maker. 18. April we will have more knowledge about the HVX and if it is so good and the prise is right than we will buy at least 2.
 
SergejIvanovits said:
and someone to transfer the data to the disk to have a seamless workflow

He has a point here. Maybe you don't need another person to upload it, but you have to stop and do it regardless. If you are filming an event by yourself, you are in trouble.
 
These P2 cards seem to be a little silly in their design for the HVX, here's why. Look at how thin they are. Now ask yourself why do they need to be this shape and size. Answer, they don't, they could be bigger and therefore hold much more data. This is where past designs, design tomorrow's products based upon their assumptions. Micro tiny assumptions are fine for some products, but for otherproducts they can be a nuisance. A mini disc player is a perfect example. They have gotten so small they've becoem too difficult to operate. I appreciate the engineering neede to make something samll but there is something called, too small. These P2 cards remind me of these typical design situations where practicality becomes a tertiary issue.

Do these camera really need tiny spy size memory cards? No, they don't. The slots & cards could be 6xs the width and use the same plug in slot of one card. This would give us 6xs the memory w/o any further innovation & when further innovation arrives we'd have that much more memory.

Maybe someone will come out with a card and a ribbon attached for streaming data to a memory 100 gig brick besdies the other altenatives I've been reading here.
 
Back
Top