Western short film made in 36 hours

Knal

Member
Here's a spaghetti western short film made in 36 hours for the Final Cut Film Festival in Wilmington, NC. It won 1st place, Crowd favorite, Best Cinematography, and Best Comedy.

This was my first time using the HPX (I own the HVX), and it was a blessing to have. The night shots would not have been possible using the HVX. Also, it was shot without an adapter, stock lens.

http://www.vimeo.com/4285215

Let me know what you guys think!

-Joey
 
That's an immense accomplishment for 36 hours. I must say I fell in love with the end credits, combination of the visuals and choice of music (assuming it's by Ennio Morricone)
 
Last edited:
Remarkable!

Remarkable!

I loved your film. I can't believe you made that so quickly. The production design was great. Costumes and Locations amazing. The end credits were super cool.

How did you pull off all of that in 36 hours?
 
he he he , that was good. We'll deserved 1st place.

the footage really looks great, the focus work is spot on!

did you use the camera LCD or external monitor?

- Derrick
 
Thanks for the comments guys! I'm glad you liked it.

I am also shocked that we pulled it off in 36 hours (that includes editing by the way). We had absolutely no downtime. It came to a point during the shooting of The Showdown that we had to allocate only 5 minutes per shot, so I'm really not happy with the look of a lot of them. With more time it could have been a lot better.

Mj882 - I had a friend, Jesse bond, help out with making the credits. We got permission to create them before the festival, so we had a chance to watch them before we started filming. When we first saw them, I got extremely nervous, I didn't think we could top the credits! Also, the music during the credits is a remix of Ennio Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold".

Derrick - I just used the on camera LCD for focus. I'm glad you liked the focus work! I just checked the focus at point A and checked it at point B, then adjusted it as the dolly moved.

Gary - Thanks for the comment! I feel honored that you think it is anything similar to a Sergio Leone film.

FilmBoy77 - Sadly I don't have the rights to the music, but the festival doesn't care at all. Now in order to send it to other festivals, we would need to secure the rights. Any ideas how to go about doing that? All of the music is from the same person, Ennio Morricone.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
 
I don't know about securing the rights. Its gonna cost some money. I've used Ennio's music before (I've even named my cat Morricone in his honor). Most likely Warner Music Group or some other company owns the rights, and usually it costs more than you'd expect.

Any way you can find a local composer to write some music?




But yeah that was truly spectacular. Everything just lined up perfectly for you guys, eh?
 
Back
Top