Waiting on RED, then onto a 7d

jrod81

Veteran
Well,
I just can't bring myself to buy the 7d since we are so close to the RED Nov. 13 announcement. Just wondering if anyone else is putting off the purchase to wait for the announcement. I assume we will just be getting our chains yanked a bit more as seems to be the case with RED announcements, but who knows, better safe than sorry since we are just 5 days away... anyone else waiting?
 
Didn't they say Nov 30th? And that's just another announcement, they didn't say they were selling anything on that date.
 
Yeah I was a little let down with the Oct. 30th announcement so I pulled the trigger on a 7D with two lenses, a Zoom H4N and a tripod all for about the same price as a Scarlet. I've taken hundreds of stills since Wednesday when it arrived, and some video that is making me drool at the possibilities.

The date you are waitng for is 11/30 when there will be more announcements on the Scarlet platform including the delivery schedule. But it feels like we are at least 6 to 8 months away from a stable scarlet that is able to be bought and at a price point that is in the sub $10k price point for all in, rather than the 7D which is comfy in the sub $5k price point even with it tricked out.

The thing you need to ask yourself is what are you going to use this camera for? For me it will open up new ways to express myself with how I see the world. Most likely that will not end up on the big screen and will not be at the mercy of a large chain of producers that want to push the images I make in a specific direction in post. So I don't need RAW motion footage. But others will.

Your mileage may vary, but holding out for the mythical perfect camera isn't going to push you right now.
 
The Scarlet is slated to be released AFTER the Epic. The Epic won't be released until the beta testers feel that it's ready (i.e. RED is leaving the decision up to an elite group of end users). The 2/3" Scarlet models will be released first. And that's the plan barring any further unforeseen disruptions or changes in plan. You can't realistically expect to receive a S35 Scarlet for perhaps another year.
 
Don't forget after the Scarlet is released the Red owners get first dibs on them so it'll be even longer.
 
I was waiting on the Oct. 30th announcement and two days after that disappointment I went out and got a 7d. I couldn't be happier and with the more recent news on the fixed scarlet's lens I'm even more sure of my decision. Will I get a scarlet one day? Maybe, but for now I'm out shooting and thats what really matters.
 
buy the 7d. if for some reason hell freezes over and red ships something this month, you can just return the 7d....
 
If you don't have anything to shoot then you don't need a camera. If you're willing to wait I'm willing to assume that's the case. You can get some good deals on grills if you have extra cash you would have spent on a camera.
 
I just can't bring myself to buy the 7d since we are so close to the RED Nov. 13 announcement.

Its so good to dream. if you are into announcements and you enjoy and cheer them as if they were the real thing, then wait. Otherwise buy a camera that actually exists.
 
Last edited:
Don't forget that even if such an announcement would make the 7D 'useless' for video compared to the Red, it's still an awesome 18MP still cam, and will have a high resale value regardless of what Red does. Consider the purchase as a rental. :)
 
Jannard did set the date at November 13th in that post that Gizmodo is referencing. However, I thought they said on the October 30th announcement, that more Scarlet info would be coming on November 30th.

So, perhaps what was promised for the 13th is instead moved to the 30th?

Or maybe there's something announced on the 13th, and also on the 30th?
 
Well, slap me silly, but sacksnack's exactly right. This quote is from October of 2008.
I want to say that no one has any idea how incredible this announcement will be. Call this hype... please. I am quite sure that the announcement will be called a "scam". Should be a lot of fun to hear the reactions. I can't wait.

It was referencing an announcement to be made November 13, 2008.

So yeah, that's long since done.

The new date for the next groundbreaking announcement is November 30th.
 
Well,
I just can't bring myself to buy the 7d since we are so close to the RED Nov. 13 announcement. Just wondering if anyone else is putting off the purchase to wait for the announcement. I assume we will just be getting our chains yanked a bit more as seems to be the case with RED announcements, but who knows, better safe than sorry since we are just 5 days away... anyone else waiting?

If you keep on waiting on a RED, you will grow old and frustrated watching us all make movies with wonderful tools that are available NOW! I waited for the Scarlet for TOO LONG.

They might be a great company with an awesome camera, but I feel ( my own crazy opinion) that they have been making us j/o to one too many "renders"...enough brother...

Since I decided to not to wait I have been able to purchase and shoot with a d90, GH1, 5D and now 7d..all the while making money and paying 10 fold for all the crap I bought.

I am not bragging, just trying to keep you from making a mistake like I was...

Waiting = death of your creative spirit
 
Since I decided to not to wait I have been able to purchase and shoot with a d90, GH1, 5D and now 7d..all the while making money and paying 10 fold for all the crap I bought.
And what did you lose in the process? Not a thing, right?

Did anyone jump ahead of you in line for a Scarlet?

Are you ostracized for having shot on something lesser?

No. So what do you have to lose? Nothing.

Super8 is doing what I've been advising all along: don't wait for something else, just buy the best that's available. Someday the Scarlet will be available, and when it is, get that, at that point, if it's better than what you already have.

And if you don't have anything to shoot, then waiting's okay.
 
Hey Barry...

funny that you post that...actually, I took YOUR advice and moved on...you my brother from another mother. I should cut you a check!
 
Back
Top