VIEWING QUESTIONS: Why downloads and not streaming?

Rodney V. Smith

DVXFest Promo Guru
Hey I just wanted to throw this out to the Mods so we can get a public answer since I;ve been getting a lot of non-users asking why the films can't just be streamed as opposed to having to download.

So Mods can we clarify? Why are the movies in the fests always offered as downloads?
 
I personally prefer downloads, because my computer can handle them better. BUT, having the option of streaming would be cool for a lot of people.
 
The file sizes are a lot larger than most streaming videos, so I'm not sure if that would work for most people.
 
We have every intention of bringing streaming to the fests (downloads still as an easy option too, though).

Just takes time, particularly with a volunteer crew :)

We wanted to have it done enough to at least be able to stream for this fest, but it didn't happen.

One day, we will, and it will be a dedicated service that we build and manage internally and it will be done the right way to meet our needs and the fests needs moving into the future. Easy to access streaming archives of all previous fests, featured content, articles, etc, etc.

Takes time. Don't want to do it half-assed, b/c there are plans for some of the infrastructure that will be built for dvxfest, that go far beyond just the fests...

always accepting volunteers :)
 
Oh I had been telling eople who asked that it alowed us to all to have an even playing field when it comes to viewing, so that one film's enjoyability is damaged by some viewer's slow internet connection or overloaded buffer. Guess I'll have to change my tune...

Wish I could help in some way. **ahem***
 
Oh I had to do some streaming for my job. There's some nice open source software and server-based solutions for steaming videos.

http://osflash.org/red5
http://www.mpeg4ip.net/
http://flowplayer.org/
http://www.icecast.org/

There's many more.. but you're right, Jason. It needs volunteers and lots of time to set it up for each submission. Maybe one day we can have a DVXUSER channel on the web?? So there's one host and he/she shows all the videos, and we tune in to certain times?? Would be pretty cool... I was thinking a beautiful bikini model for our host? ;)
 
Oh I had been telling eople who asked that it alowed us to all to have an even playing field when it comes to viewing, so that one film's enjoyability is damaged by some viewer's slow internet connection or overloaded buffer. Guess I'll have to change my tune...

Wish I could help in some way. **ahem***

That is certainly still a concern.
 
Any chance of the maximum file size limit increasing? Not trying to bug, just wondering. I am a little concerned about how small mine is going to have to get to fit the requirements. (I know you guys have to hear this every fest, sorry!)
 
Something like Vimeo allows for both streaming and download options, and it's free. Couldn't we just make a DVX Vimeo page or something?

Just a thought.
 
Any chance of the maximum file size limit increasing? Not trying to bug, just wondering. I am a little concerned about how small mine is going to have to get to fit the requirements. (I know you guys have to hear this every fest, sorry!)

ditto (including not trying to bug) i would enjoy a bump even to 60 mb instead of 50. there's only so much quality you can tweak out of an h.264 quicktime file. I think the file size has been the same for 4 years now!
 
Whatever you do, please keep the option to download the films. I put them on a drive and play them off the WD HD Media Player on the flat screen in the comfort of the livingroom.....vodka in one hand....pencil for notes in the other!

...I wonder why my ratings go down later in the evening???
 
Something like Vimeo allows for both streaming and download options, and it's free. Couldn't we just make a DVX Vimeo page or something?

Just a thought.


I'm not completely sure but don't some other film festivals not allow entry if the film has been available openly on the internet, that could be a possible reason not to do it that way, assuming someone wanted to do other things with their movie after the conclusion of the dvxfest.

I admit that could have all been an opium induced hallucination.
 
The more I think about it, the more I feel things are fine the way they are.

I would imagine it is a pain in the ass to upload, I know it takes forever to download & watch....but I think the system works.
 
I'm not completely sure but don't some other film festivals not allow entry if the film has been available openly on the internet, that could be a possible reason not to do it that way, assuming someone wanted to do other things with their movie after the conclusion of the dvxfest.

I admit that could have all been an opium induced hallucination.
The group could be password protected.

Either way, they are made available on the net here for download so there's really no difference.
Except it would allow for streaming and/or downloading.

HD too.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with the way it's run now, but adding HD viewing/streaming might be nice down the road.

MAH
 
Last edited:
Back
Top