view both timecode and duration on fx6 display

tchandler

Member
when in the timecode menu on the fx6 one can choose duration, timecode, or one other option (i forget, but it’s not relevant to this question)— but can only choose one. there are times when i want both current clip duration and timecode on the display. is this not possible?
 
when in the timecode menu on the fx6 one can choose duration, timecode, or one other option (i forget, but it’s not relevant to this question)— but can only choose one. there are times when i want both current clip duration and timecode on the display. is this not possible?

Yes, it is not possible.

BTW, the other option is User Bits, an ancient outdated feature that has no business on modern cameras. But heck, back in 1975 it was the greatest thing, so let's keep cluttering up every new camera with it for the next 100 years. :-)
 
BTW, the other option is User Bits, an ancient outdated feature that has no business on modern cameras. But heck, back in 1975 it was the greatest thing, so let's keep cluttering up every new camera with it for the next 100 years. :-)

Not really possible DJ. The LTC time code spec of 80 bit-periods assigns 32 bit-periods of those 80 as eight groups of four designated as USET BITS. Originally designed to carry dates and reel numbers. I've used User Bits extensively for that specific reason. Like on a doco series where shooting took place over a seven-year period. Being able to instantly read the User Bits and see the Day, Date, Year in the first three pairs of digits and the reel numbers in the fourth group... only good for up to 99 reels, has often proven to be very useful when looking at footage shot years ago. Of course these days with cameras that can store all that info along with geolocation data as to the camera's location I agree User Bits have become pretty redundant. Trouble is, to throw them out means a whole new data-set for SMPTE time code. Not going to happen, I think!

Chris Young
 
thanks for the quick reply doug! this is good to know. i can just add the options to user menu or even assign a button to toggle back and forth as needed.
 
Not really possible DJ.

Hmm, I thought that's what I said, didn't I?

As for the wisdom of continuing to include ancient outdated stuff on modern cameras,we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Just because one customer in 10,000 might want User Bits is not reason enough to keep it grandfathered into modern cameras. Sony has a rep for overly complicated cameras and menus. User Bits is a perfect example of crap that should no longer be cluttering up the camera. And there is a whole bunch of outdated white balance stuff that needs to be put to death, as well.

But what does Sony do instead to simplify their cameras? Strip off 90% of the paint menus. Go figure.
 
Last edited:
Hmm, I thought that's what I said, didn't I?.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to having both displays up at the same time, TC and UBs.

Agreed, killing a bunch of the Paint options in the FX6 is a shame. But I guess they justify that based on camera price point and target market. But how often have Sony misjudged just how popular some of their lower end models will be in certain areas of professional production. Their EX range and the FS7 just to name a couple of them.

Chris Young
 
Back
Top