Vegas...how does it compare?

stillbound.com

New member
I'm a bit wary of using sony software since they have always seemed to make thing more proprietary to their own products but from the results posted on this site it seems like an option...

What do you guys think and more specifically does it compare favorably with premier?
 
I think it'll be more telling with Vegas 8 as to whether Sony really tries to stick it to people in the proprietary department. If they come out and only support BluRay and not HD-DVD, then they will irk me a bit. Otherwise I don't have any issues with that kind of thing with Vegas.

All in all Vegas does a great job for me and offers a lot more than what I'll likely ever use. I'm not a professional and don't make my living through video's, so my take is probably different than many on the board. For me, I liked the price point for Vegas over Premier. I also preferred the UI to that in Premier as well. It still took some getting used to, but once you understand the basics, the rest really starts becoming very obvious and you can pretty easily understand what you need to do. Personally I'd love to have a copy of Premier as well, but my budget doesn't allow for that. I've got a Harley that still needs more chrome! :)

I've seen some pretty cool Premier created video's out there, but I haven't really seen any that can't be done in Vegas. They both seem to have certain strengths, it'll just depend on what your typical workflow is. Vegas has a 30 day trial that you can download from their site. The demo is the fully functioning product, not apparently crippled in any way that I saw.

-Steve
 
Vegas is brilliant. I've been using it for years. It's just so simple, anyone can use it and get great results almost immediately. It kills all the other apps out there for speed of editing.

I wouldn't worry about them making it more proprietary to their own products. They wouldn't be able to stay competitive if they did that. I don't know how they'd do that anyway. All you need is already in the software. On my machine I can edit the HDV stream in real time with colour correction at 480x270. Cineform NEO would be nice though.
 
I am concerned about them making it more proprietary; especially with the AVC-HD update in 7.0e which specifically says "supports AVC-HD for Sony camcorders". That's on the heels of them adding MXF support but limiting it to only the Sony proprietary version of MXF.

NOT a good trend, and I sincerely hope they don't continue on that path.
 
Barry_Green said:
I am concerned about them making it more proprietary; especially with the AVC-HD update in 7.0e which specifically says "supports AVC-HD for Sony camcorders".
I'm sure that's just because Sony AVC-HD cameras have been available for quite some time now. They probably haven't had a chance to test any others yet and just want to cover themselves incase they end up with loads of complaints from non Sony AVC-HD users. Of which there's just the Panasonic I can think of who have only just released their model. Plus, Canon's HR10 still won't be available for a number of months yet so there's no chance of them supporting that just yet either.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top