trouble making a reservation??

nalu

Active member
I'm in Australia and have called three times in the past 24 hours to try and make a reservation - I've left a message each time.

any tips on how to get through??
any options besides phoning in, like email???

This is a very exciting camera. First thing I'll be doing is building a water housing for it!
 
Hi Nalu,

From what I've been reading on dvinfo.net and HDforindies it that it can take a while before they call you back, because they have been flooded with calls and reservations, and they didn't suspect so many reservations at once. So I'm sure they'll call you back, but when... :)
 
I left a message and they called me back a few hours later. It did indeed sound like they were calling from NAB, based on the background noise.

I have to admit, I was kind of taken aback to actually hear from them. If it's vaporware, at least they're putting up a good front. Or just pulling a good scam to invest our $1000 deposits for a year before giving it all back.

Anyway, maybe they're waiting to call you in Australia. If they're really organized, perhaps they queue up international applicants by time zone so they can call you back during your business hours.
 
Last edited:
stokestack said:
I left a message and they called me back a few hours later. It did indeed sound like they were calling from NAB, based on the background noise.

If what I read was correct, they indeed gave the mission of handling the reservations to one person, who's at NAB, and has to handle the reservations at the booth AND on the telephone, but RED didn't expect to have so many people giving up a reservation at the booth, that's why they are so busy. Jim Jannard posted about this on this site or dvinfo, don't know exactly, I think this one, yesterday or today.

I really wonder how many camera's they already 'sold'.

And RED is NOT vaporware.
 
the phone is RED at NAB floor .. so try to call during 10am to 5pm PST .
i called -pm paris time and got thru & 1st call ...
 
We again apologize for any difficulties you are having getting through to make a reservation. It is my fault that I didn't put in place more than one person to do this job. We truly did not exect the overwhelming response we have received at the show. With each of Frederic's presentations, the crowd gets bigger. Chris' fingers are raw from inputing the orders. His phone is ringing off the hook and we only have one computer for order input. Otherwise we would just add people. We are doing the best we can under the circumstances. The good news is that we are learning early that we need to set up a higher rate of production than we originally thought. Without this info, instead of waiting a few days to place a reservation, customers would have been waiting months for a camera. Please bare with us.

Jim
 
thanks

thanks

thanks for replying Jannard - your personal reponse is valuable and will keep me persisting on the phone

I'll keep trying to call - please let us know if you are able to provide and email aternative - I'm very keen to get in the line (before it's out the front door and down the street ten blocks!!!) :)

I'm sure you have plenty of people telling you what they'll use the camera for but one of my main uses will be to shoot surfing, kitesurfing and windsurfing (I'm an ex-Oakley sponsored pro!!)
the first thing I'll be doing is building a housing and getting this puppy wet

been shooting lately with the Sony FX1 but can't wait to see the RED images
If you want any water footage for the reel just let me know!!
 
Jannard said:
We again apologize for any difficulties you are having getting through to make a reservation. It is my fault that I didn't put in place more than one person to do this job. We truly did not exect the overwhelming response we have received at the show. With each of Frederic's presentations, the crowd gets bigger. Chris' fingers are raw from inputing the orders. His phone is ringing off the hook and we only have one computer for order input. Otherwise we would just add people. We are doing the best we can under the circumstances. The good news is that we are learning early that we need to set up a higher rate of production than we originally thought. Without this info, instead of waiting a few days to place a reservation, customers would have been waiting months for a camera. Please bare with us.

Jim

Glad to see things are going so well for your you and your team!
 
Don’t you find it suspicious that a company witch is suppose to be incredibly rich ask for deposit on a model with out even knowing there self when it will be release?

It probably mean they are in need of income to finance the project and at this point, if they do need liquidity.. You will never see a red unit on the market cause they wont ever have the financial power to mass produce it.

Jannard said:
We again apologize for any difficulties you are having getting through to make a reservation. It is my fault that I didn't put in place more than one person to do this job.

we only have one computer for order input. Otherwise we would just add people. We are doing the best we can under the circumstances.

Jim
Let’s take a better look…

Jannard said:
we only have one computer for order input. Otherwise we would just add people. We are doing the best we can under the circumstances.

Jim
Ha ! ok now we get it they would get more people to take the orders but they only have ONE computer, poor guys, its not your fault… Now we know why you need advance deposit from every one… They need to buy more computers… Cause we all know how expensive computer are compare to having research and development on new CCD, new portable hard drive, new codec, new lens… That was a lots of thing to plan… but having a few receptionist for the thousands of people talking every day in here about red.. humm who could have know ??

Don’t worry about that cause with such a major idea they will find a lots of investor from all around the world and finance everything from the public… they will be able to have offices, staff and every thing to make sure your money is at safe…

So I guest all of you believer where right… They will make history… It will look some thing like this : at first there was Enron and then there was RED…
 
Arnika said:
Don’t you find it suspicious that a company witch is suppose to be incredibly rich ask for deposit on a model with out even knowing there self when it will be release?

(sniped)

So I guest all of you believer where right… They will make history… It will look some thing like this : at first there was Enron and then there was RED…

Uh... surely this qualifies as a, I don't know... unacceptable post?

I hardly think a billionaire is running into liquidity issues that a few thousand dollars can solve.
 
If they are… Why would a billionaire struggle with one computer and thousand of order instead of just having an office with a receptionist like every one else ?
 
Man, who let the trolls out? Price of fame and success I suppose.
Arnika - go find a camera and make a movie or something. Seriously.
 
Arnika said:
If they are… Why would a billionaire struggle with one computer and thousand of order instead of just having an office with a receptionist like every one else ?
Couldn't it just be possible that he meant the guy who handles pre-orders, at NAB, is the only one set-up to take pre-orders?

It's naive to think they only have one computer, it's realistic to think they only set the one person up for order taking and he (as well as his computer) are at NAB.

Not to mention, you actually are getting a personal response - if a company was scamming people it would make more sense to do it through an automated web service. Even as swamped as RED is right now, from the sounds of it, they are still better at getting back to a potential customer than some other un-named *cough*Toshiba*cough* companies.
 
Last edited:
Penfever -- I need to say I am sorry, sorry for your ignorance… At least I won’t feel bad when they will steal your money… looking at your website you don’t seem to be able to do nothing better with it anyway…
 
whoop cha

whoop cha

Well Arnika arent' you a piece of work
catch this :kali:

Finally got through everyone
I'm number 179

whoop cha
 
I've been wondering about some of the nonsensical bashing of the Red project on these boards. One of three things is happening. First, maybe Red appears way too good to be true so natural skeptics aren't looking very deep before jumping in with lame criticisms. Second, maybe some people are motivated by a jealousy of Red to do some trolling. Third, perhaps some of the lame skepticism is coming from the competition.

I think skepticism is good (and, of course, not all of the critical remarks have been lame or nonsensical), but people should approach their skepticism of Red with at least half a brain.

Just to clue the clueless on three things. 1.) Jim Jannard obviously doesn't need your $1,000 (except to set your reservation and see who is seriously interested in buying this camera). 2.) A product under development on a good schedule is not vaporware just because it hasn't been released. 3.) The form factor isn't set in stone; it's based on a revolutionary "cage" system. We haven't seen all the potential form factors; we've only been introduced to the camera module and the "cage" system.
 
Last edited:
I agree.

Jim himself has said that the reservations are to get an idea about how many cameras they must produce and the 1000 dollar fee is to attract serious people. Otherwise, everybody could just put up a reservation and back out later.
 
Back
Top