Trailer for a Feature...warning rated R

Crap.

Crap.

Wow that was really terrible. I thought I'd seen some no talent tripe before, but that takes the cake. If you consider anything you did to be cinematography or special effects, you might want to consider seeing an actual movie...or never touching a camera again.
 
Last edited:
Wow that was really terrible. I thought I'd seen some no talent tripe before, but that takes the cake. If you consider anything you did to be cinematography or special effects, you might want to consider seeing an actual movie...or never touching a camera again.

While I appreciate constructive criticism, your reply is nothing but an outright insult.

I myself know of quite a few stylistic choices which I would change, but I'm not here to judge my own work, but to display it....if you would like to discuss any piece of the film then please watch the film, and I'll be completely open about discussing any part of it.

I will, and have made other films, and as a reference I'll show you this trailer on which I was Cinematographer:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/video/video.php?v=1079008291426

This is to simply display that I do in fact have many different styles, and tools at my disposal....Hack Movies in particular is almost 100% handheld, always moving, and almost never uses anything but the widest part of the lens....the director likes that style, so that's what I give him.
 
Last edited:
Hey Nick! don't worry about people giving you bad criticism.
There's a lot of people that like that kind of movies, not everything is about technical stuff, as long as you have acomplished what you desired (entertain people, have fun, a good story, etc)

Keep up!:thumbup:
 
Hi Nick

I just watched the trailer over on the FB Page and you're in the clear. Disregard anything Logan3000 posted.

I'm not a fan of the style this director of yours seems to like; reality, run and gun, but that other trailer looks solid in terms of the conematography.
 
Hey Nick! don't worry about people giving you bad criticism.
There's a lot of people that like that kind of movies, not everything is about technical stuff, as long as you have acomplished what you desired (entertain people, have fun, a good story, etc)

Keep up!:thumbup:

Thanks Amiga....this is exactly the point of these films. I've worked with Hack as the DoP on two films now and a few shorts, and I've tried time and again to bring various tools and styles on set.....the simple answer : NO.

Hack attempts to make Punk Rock Guerrilla Filmmaking THE medium for it's delivery, so even when I have cool new toys to play with like film cameras, hi-def, audio recorders, jibs, tripods, steadicam, etc.....I'm always prepared to just go handheld :)

Personally I actually like the films, and it's the reason I started working with them....I saw their first film "Dream Reaper", and although it was rough around the edges I loved the light hearted approach to Gross Out Horror/Comedy, which John Waters likes to call "Good Bad Taste"...and I think Hack has it in spades.

I guess I'm ranting, but I just hate it when someone just rails on something without any positive aim in their heart.....I'll keep making films that make these fans smile(as well as other films), and they'll keep buyin' 'em.

Edit : Thanks to JR as well....You Da Man!
 
I have good news. Originally this film was going to be reviewed in Gorezone magazine, which is a sister publication of Fangoria, but now we'll be making it into Fangoria itself! They're also sending our Producer/Writer/Director Kevin Strange to the Juggalo Gathering to do video interviews with the bands and such for their website...We'll get to have our front man interview all these cool people and slap our logo on all the video pieces, so we're all very excited!
 
Disregard this opinion.

Disregard this opinion.

Yes, disregard anything Logan3000 says. Clearly anyone who dissents is of no consequence. Your movie is great, and you'll probably be getting a call from Spielberg after the Fangoria article. You guys need to grow up. Your work on "Ragman" is much better. However the other is still tripe. It has zero aesthetic quality, and even less narrative appeal. If you're going to put your work up for others, you're going to have to deal with reality and not just you forum buddies. A harsh criticism of someone's work is not an attack on the person. Having said that, I wouldn't work with any director who wanted high school level camera work, or on a script (assuming there was one) which was so devoid of any sign of intelligence. I don't need to rob and torture myself by purchasing and viewing the whole movie. I can see that it is painfully contrived and morally bankrupt from the trailer. But hey, what do I know? I mean G.I. Joe was #1 for a whole week.
 
Last edited:
Nick - That trailer was ridiculously insane. I wouldn't pay to see the whole thing, but I know some people who definitely would. I bet the actor's had a ton of fun with their lines, I know I would...

Logan3000 - Do you have any videos of your own that people can watch, or do you spend your time badmouthing others for having a good time and shooting things they like to shoot? I am interested in seeing what true camerawork looks like.
 
ya i don't know why anybody would intentionally go for that run and gun look combined with bad acting but i must admit, by the end of the trailer i was kind of getting into it in a borat, jay and silent bob, south park kinda way. i mean it seems so over the top that the whole low budget vibe kinda works for it. not my style but it seems fun. i'd have a beer or 12 and laugh my ass off watching it...

i checked out the ragman trailer and it looks sick. which cam?
 
I'm curious what your intentions of the film are for the viewer, when he/she gets done watching it.
 
Sorry I havn't responded to any posts, it seems I forgot to subscribe to the thread. First I'll post about the latest on this film, followed by responses, then a couple reviews for the movie, and finish up with the latest from Hack Movies:

We got distro(jan 12th 2010 release)! We got a pro printing on disc, outside, real stamped DVD(not burned)...the whole kitten kaboodle....we're very excited..In fact right now we're ranked #109 out of 226 for pre-orders on amazon(not the best, but it certainly gives me a smile).

Again to Logan : You still have only talked in the most general of terms. I myself will state again that I'd be happy to discuss any part of even the trailer. Bring up something you dislike and I'd be happy to have a converation about it....and again I'll say that many of the choices for the film that you probably don't like, I'd probably agree with. I like Tripods, Steadicams, Jibs, 35mm adapters, hi-def cameras, lots of audio equipment, etc...and alot of it gets left behind on these films. These films(from Hack Movies) are directly influenced by the likes of Troma, John Waters, Raimi, Peter Jackson, and folks like that...it's offensive horror comedy, and I for one love the content...I like it so much I've done three films now with this company.

cheez : Ragman was done with an XH-A1 and a redrock M2 along with a couple lenses...I believe it was a 50 and something wider in the range of 25-35.

Inoran : The intention is that the viewer walk away entertained...While we do speckle our films with occasional references about bigger ideas or moralities, they are merely that...speckles. Come to a film like this wanting a laugh, a giggle, and a cringe or two ;)

To finish up here's a couple reviews:
http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2009/10/review-cockhammer-nsfw/
http://www.paradiseofhorror.com/2009/10/review-cockhammer-2008.html
http://www.goblinhaus.com/movies/cockhammer.htm

Oh and keeps your eyes peeled for "Nixon and Hogan Save Christmas", the SIXTH film from Hack Movies! As of this exact moment we are 99% done with principal photography, needing only two exteriors, one of which features yours truly in the role of Don Duepe! Capturing, logging, and editing has already begun, and we expect to have a trailer relatively soon. Due to it's seasonal nature it will most likely not be "officially" available until Winter 2010, but we'll probably have a trailer in a few weeks
Once we have a trailer up I'll make a separate post about it, and include a link to that post in this one.

NHSC is another step forward, having a 4 piece light rig used 90% of the time, along with gels and such. We're also bringing in a little bit of motion Morphing technology(see my test shot here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wmrH_V7qyw), After Effects, Steadicam, some set design from yours truly and a bunch of other stuff I just can't think of right now...and as always we have lots of blood, guts, gore, slime, costumes, and TONS of comedy through intricate dialogue. I of course didn't get everything in I wanted, but if every Director did everything their DP wanted, films would take ALOT longer to make, lol.
 
Last edited:
NHSC is another step forward, having a 4 piece light rig used 90% of the time, along with gels and such. We're also bringing in a little bit of motion Morphing technology(see my test shot here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wmrH_V7qyw), After Effects, Steadicam, some set design from yours truly and a bunch of other stuff I just can't think of right now...and as always we have lots of blood, guts, gore, slime, costumes, and TONS of comedy through intricate dialogue. I of course didn't get everything in I wanted, but if every Director did everything their DP wanted, films would take ALOT longer to make, lol.

My coment on the original film posted, was I definitely think some form of 'lighting' tutorial was needed. I realize that slows up the production... but I think the results are worth it.

As for content, I was sort of reminded of "Kondom des Grauens"(1996, US: "Killer Condom")

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116791/

As a note, I watch anything that has women baring their boobs... even if briefly and gratuitously... yes, I'm all for gratuity...

I don't know what was the time budget, but lighting I think is key to giving the viewer they are watching something more than a group of people who just improvising in front of the camera.

I realize there are a number of films out that sort of have that 'documentary cam' look... call me 'old school' or what but I really don't respond well to the camera shaking and gyrating around... as in get motion sickness just watching... And of course, in keeping with that, the trailer, didn't seem to have too many camera angles other than about chest/eye level of handheld.

I'm also forming an opinion that most people ought to think about Black and White presentations, rather than retaining the original color. With just a bit of boost on the contrast, I think it can give a better presentation...

As for buying... If it were downloadable via iTunes or similar sort of service (Netflix for the demented... as long as it had naked women somewhere in it... I'd go for it...)
 
I'm not sure if it'll be a download or not, but a search after the "official" release wouldn't hurt.

As for lighting, we had a couple work lights, gels, and bounce boards for Cockhammer, but it was very hard to control...on NHSC I worked with nothing but softboxes. I'm hoping to have access to a couple fresnels on the next film with these guys(hairlight, object illumination, interesting background lighting). I bring in a large amount of equipment to these films(Hack Movies), while other films usually rent, so it all depends on my purchases and upgrades of my personal arsenal.

Also the movement style in NHSC has been completely overhauled...although I must say shakiness is rarely evident in CH...it just moves alot. NHSC is still handheld, but it's primarily yours trully acting as a human tripod.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top