Time Code?

sonisfear

Well-known member
Can anyone tell me about the timecode syncronization feature with this cam.

How does it work?

Where can I get info on it?

I am designing a system that uses the V440Hd to Direct linear edit HDV.
The V440Hd has midi in and outs. Vegas can record the switch commands via midi. You can edit that event data incase a mistake is made.

The only missing link is how do you sync multiple XL H1 cam together.
 
It's in the manual. (available online in PDF) Nutshell: Plug in one H1 TC in to the others TC out BNC port and have it set to look for external timecode. It usually will lock on within a few seconds. Repeat for extra cameras. Have all cameras run Free Run Timecode from there.
 
If you sync the timecode on the cameras and then disconnect them the timecode sync will slowly drift apart over time. IF you want or need a more accurate result you will have to genlock the cameras as well and keep them connected. There are some wireless solutions for this as well but it becomes very expensive.
 
Daniel, how much of a drift relatively? If your shooting for a few hours are you ok with free run?
 
Elton,
There is no way to accurately measure the drift. It is based on the minute differences of the cameras frame rates. IE 59.97..... Over the course of the day this could add up to a few seconds. It gets even trickier and less reliable when the cameras are powered up and down. It is usually less than the difference between drop and non drop (about 3 seconds and 8 frames an hour). Given todays solid state technology it is better than the old days of analog circuitry like the early betacams and 3/4 decks with cameras. This is one of the reasons they added the genlock so the cameras frame rates as well as the timecode would be identical.
Another question is how well Canon dealt with this issue in the tolerances of the clocks and crystals used in the cameras. I have had cameras from other manufacturers unable to keep time very well and others which were perfect. Unfortunately if we are untethered it is hard to do anything about it.
This is why I still advocate the free run method like you posted and let the editor deal with the offset. Often it only changes a few frames over a couple of hours but my experience has mostly been with other cameras. I suppose I could do a test but it would only be camera specific. One trick I have learned is if you are in a multicamera situation don't stop the cameras unless you absolutely have to. If the editor does have to line up the footage the fewer times the cameras start and stop the fewer sync points have to be found.
There are boxes which provide sync and timecode for this purpose so you can be untethered but I don't usually get them into the budget
 
Hi guys, tips are great. I did download the manual and the software, really cool cam....I love the console.

It would be nice if this forum allowed each user to rate their cam out of five.

Are you liking the H!?

Anyway what I really need to know is can the H1's transport slave to timecode from a mmc machine controller.

The idea is I want to sync the record footage from 3 H1 playing tapes simultaneously and switch from the timecode locked cams.

ANy one can answer this?
 
I would rate mine a 4.5 out of 5. It's more than surpassed my expectations...the only things bugging me slightly is the lack of embedded audio in SDI (not a show stopper) and the CA fringing I'm seeing here and there. (again, not horrific but I want to know if it's a flaw of the lens or the prism, or both, or maybe that I'm becoming a picky ***)

The H1 should be able to do what you're asking, but the person that might say with authority would be Nick Hiltgen over at DVInfo.net
 
Oh my goodness. Battery life...

Well, I bought two cheapo Chinese BP945 knock off 3-4 hr batteries from Power101.com at $15 a pop. Chargers were something like 2 bucks. The place charged a premium for shipping but the total was around $50.

They work great and last a long time for my needs. I'm going to buy more of them. The chargers are laughably cheapie plastic and are slow to charge, but they work!!

http://www.power101.com/item.htm?id=60010
 
Hey this company has batteries for my HD100 for 6 bucks...I paid $150 each for mine.

Are you sure they work?

I am going to buy some if you are confident from your experience that it won't damage my cam.
 
They do work quite well. The BP945's, that is. Ask some people on the JVC forum if they've had luck with the Chinese stuff. I do know people using knockoff batteries in their DVX's so it didn't worry me that much.
 
Back
Top