The slice

I enjoyed this one. Its so close to what I almost shot for this fest. All I can say is well done easy to view and I shall show this one to the family. Very well done.
 
Story: Fun stuff. The ending caught me off guard as well. I wasn't expecting this and it was a joy to watch.

Acting: Ummm...... the puppets were awesome. :)

Technical: Great stuff! Nice camera movement throughout. Sound coming in and out could be cleaned up just a bit. Very nice work though.

Nice going with this one. It was a lot of fun.

MAH
 
WTF did I just watch?

LMAO!

Awesomeness! That's what!

Thanks for making me laugh out loud. That's pull quote worthy!

We appreciate all the comments. As we've mentioned earlier in the string, we would have loved to flesh this out more but seriously folks, if you haven't ever done it, try operating and shooting puppets. Crazy hard. It makes kids and animals look easy :)

I just started watching the films and will begin posting comments soon.
 
i loved this. puppets..awesome... i love shooting with puppets it's hard but fun at the same time. the ending was something i wasn't expecting.. i knew they'd fall for it but i was like wait... he sooo go them.. well done.. over all camera work and everything was great...
 
Holy **** man this rocks. I never saw the puppets or the ipecac. You rocked this fest and you were on another level. two words: GOLD MEDAL! congrats and i cant say **** about this being bad.
 
I have to give big props to our sound designer, Matt Tibbs, for his work on this. Matt did the sound design on our last two entries as well, Tarts Fools and the G-Men and The Tell. On this one, ALL the sound is his creation. We used no sound from the actual shoot.

Regarding the decision to not have any dialogue, that was made for two distinct reasons. First, previous puppet shoot tests indicated that it is very challenging to have dialogue in the first place. If you capture it live, then the puppeteer has to be the same person doing the voice. If you add it later in ADR, then the person has to match the performance of the puppeteer which leaves little room for interpretation (or you record it in advance and have the opposite issue). That drove us to create a short with no dialogue, which has its own story telling challenges.

So the second reason their is no dialogue is by design. We wrote it that way. And, frankly, looking back on it I don't know that this story needs dialogue at all. I don't see any place where it could be added and improve the story in any way.

Kevin
 
Oh my god your film was so much fun! I was totally not expecting puppets, but I got really excited when I saw them. What an original and creative idea. Your film was short and to the point, but totally held my attention. Props!

And ps- the barf was totally disgusting. Unfortunately, I was eating when I was watching that. Somehow I suddenly lost my appetite...
 
Decher and Nelson - Thanks you two. I think you got our approach. Have some fun, play with puppets.
 
you are out of your mind!

awesome job!!


i don't know what to say. i knew it was going to be disgusting, how could it not be? that pie just looked.... disgusting.

but then these puppets showed up! ha!!! and then they threw up. oooh.

great idea!
congrats on your film!
 
Cinematically, LOVED the opening shots, the editing, etc... just felt big in produciton value, although they were all ECU's ... then ... we see the puppet. Perhaps there's just something right up there with clowns for me, not sure, but it took me out. I went ahead & continued along for the ride, thinking perhaps I'd get to see the grandpa mutilate one of the other puppets, and then came the knife. Nope. :)

All in all, I think you did well considering first use of puppets, etc., and there's high marks on this from me for overall production value, etc. The ending was cute too, seeing that he got them in the end, but the story itself didn't grab me so much, and again, it could simply be because I had a tough time getting into the puppets.

All that said, I'm confident this will be a finalist. :beer:
 
OUT OF THE FREAKING BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely hilarious, absolutely entertaining, and absolutely memorable, and will probably be one of the most memorable entries of all time! great job!
 
Hell yeah! One of my favourites. This was refreshing, very clever and funny. Loved it.
Some very nice shots, lighting, really fun stuff. I loved the puppet work, and really awesome music, suited the film very well.

Nice sound work, some really interesting growling going on there, haha. Loved that moon shot.

Memorable Moment
The shadow at 2:22 – had me on the edge of my seat. This was just too much fun.
Great final shot, what a betrayal! Loved the flames.

Great work to all involved. Congratulations. Can’t think of anything bad to say about this, or even anything I didn’t like. I really, honestly loved this.
 
Puppets do rock. Especially angry puppets.

Seriously, I did not expect that at all and it was a great surprise. What a fun twist, especially in a festival where so many films can begin to blur together.

Very well done.
 
Back
Top